David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Fun, Games & More > Convince me!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chiqui (last edited Apr 24, 2015 11:03PM) (new)

Chiqui (chiquireads) | 68 comments I've seen this in several boards I'm in outside Goodreads and I thought it would be a fun thing to do here as well!

So the basic premise is to pick a thing (in this case, a book) that you don't really like or haven't picked up yet because you're having doubts, whether it be a bad review from a blogger you respect, you didn't like the past books from the author, you hate the main character's face, etc. Any reason at all is valid! Post the book and state your reason if you want to, and the person below you will ANYONE can respond with why you should try reading the book anyway. People can also post the books they want other people to convince them to read, as well!

Hopefully this will encourage people to pick up the books they're initially doubtful about and end up loving the person who tried to convince them. Or frown intensely at them. I don't know what you do, I'm not your mom.

So yes! Hopefully that was clear enough. And to start this off, I'll post first!

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare

THIS BOOK. Rarely do I talk to someone who's all "yeah, it's ayyt I guess." It's either they loved it or they hated it so much! That's made me not pick this book up for the longest time. That, and the fact that I read Clockwork Angel and enjoyed it for all of two chapters until Will showed up and I threw the book across the room, oops. I disliked Will so much it put me off reading anything else from her! So convince me that City of Bones will meet a different fate from Clockwork Angel? :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes and no.
Personally I love the infernal devices more than the tmi series. I am one of those people that think tmi is okay(yes I am) I dont hate it and I dont love it. I think its okay,its great at times but mostly to me okay.
So I would say you should try tid again. Cob isent a book I can wouch for with my heart really.

A book am unsure about:
Timeless (Timeless, #1) by Alexandra Monir I love timetravelling books, but this one seems very cheesy. Should I try?

message 3: by Chiqui (new)

Chiqui (chiquireads) | 68 comments thanks for the feedback, Oda! I've been wanting to try a few chapters at least, see if this clicks with me. :)

(skip me!)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Chiqui wrote: "thanks for the feedback, Oda! I've been wanting to try a few chapters at least, see if this clicks with me. :)

(skip me!)"

I like cloackwork angel and LOOOVE the other two books. So I would say,yes,yes give it a go :)

message 5: by Harold (new)

Harold Smithson | 53 comments Chiqui wrote: "I've seen this in several boards I'm in outside Goodreads and I thought it would be a fun thing to do here as well!

So the basic premise is to pick a thing (in this case, a book) that you don't re..."

It's long, padded, and dull. Try the movie instead, though that isn't exactly great.

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Chiqui wrote: "I've seen this in several boards I'm in outside Goodreads and I thought it would be a fun thing to do here as well!

So the basic premise is to pick a thing (in this case, a book) that you don't re..."

I haven't read Clockwork Angel, but City of Bones was pretty good. I gobbled up the series really quickly last year. My only qualm is that the leading two characters, Clary and Jace, are obnoxious. But Simon makes everything worth it.
I would at least give it a try.

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
So we've totally blown this challenge so far. Hahahha...

But we're having a great discussion!

I adored the TMI series so much more than TID series. I also despised Will in book 1 and he became one of my favorite MC's in the rest of the series! :)

I thought City of Bones was decent!! I would read it if I were you!!

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Karen wrote: "So we've totally blown this challenge so far. Hahahha...

But we're having a great discussion!

I adored the TMI series so much more than TID series. I also despised Will in book 1 and he beca..."

Oh, was this supposed to be a game? hehe

message 9: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 957 comments I think the thread went as it was supposed to for the first two posts haha. So, someone gives a book they're unsure of, next person tries to convince them, then leaves a book THEY'RE unsure of and so on, so forth.

Unless I'm wrong. amiright?

message 10: by Chiqui (last edited Apr 24, 2015 11:04PM) (new)

Chiqui (chiquireads) | 68 comments Oops this is what I get for being on an odd timezone lol! Yes, it was supposed to be a game wherein people convince you to read the book posted by the person before you. I do think it'd be difficult to do so especially if the book above hasn't been read by a lot of people, so maybe change the rules a bit? Anyone can post a book and anyone can also convince the book posters to read it? :)

And thanks for the comments about TMI! It's one of the books I've gotten so many different reviews about so I was like "should I read this or not..." but yes! I'll try it out! (At least this game seems to be working on the convincing part lol!)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

To be honest isent this more or less the same as the have you read thread?

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Not trying to be difficult or anything.

David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

City of Bones (other topics)
Timeless (other topics)