What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Young adult fantasy book with horse on the cover

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ange (new)

Ange | 4 comments Hello,
I am on a search for I book I read about 10 years ago. I was in grade 6 or 7 so that would be 2004-2005.
What I can remember of the book was that it was 100% a part of a fantasy series, I was disappointed when my schools library didn't have the rest of the books. The book had a horse on the cover it may have been white, black or grey & with wings (Not too sure about the wings part)
And the characters at some point had to form some sort of circle of power/magic.
I know this is super vague but as I said I read it 10 years ago but remember loving it so much I did 2 book reports on it.
I really hope someone can help me.

Thanks

*I know for sure its not Circle of Magic by Tamora Pierce*

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments I'm not sure if your book actually 'Featured' horses per say, but here's a list of fantasy books with horses that you could scan for your cover:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/5...

message 3: by Tab (last edited Apr 24, 2015 06:56AM) (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5006 comments A few guesses:
Fergus Crane Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1) by Paul Stewart
The Finest Creation The Finest Creation (Finest, #1) by Jean Rabe

Some questions that may trigger a memory:
Were the other characters human? Were there any other fantasy elements like witches, trolls, dragons, etc?

Time period/location story takes place?

message 4: by Ange (new)

Ange | 4 comments Tab wrote: "A few guesses:
Fergus CraneFergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1) by Paul Stewart
The Finest CreationThe Finest Creation (Finest, #1) by Jean Rabe

Some questions that may trigger a memory:
Were th..."

Thanks but none of those are it, the book isn't about a horse per se.
The main characters are human.
It was mainly about them putting their powers together to defeat the evil.

message 5: by Ket (last edited Apr 24, 2015 08:53AM) (new)

Ket | 164 comments The Secret of the Unicorn The Secret of the Unicorn (Avalon Web of Magic, #4) by Rachel Roberts ?
Scholastic published in 2002, this is the fourth in the Web of Magic series, where four girls use power stones in a circle.

Another book where girls form a circle to fight evil is The Jewel Princess Series, which had The Emerald Princess Follows a Unicorn The Emerald Princess Follows a Unicorn (The Jewel Kingdom, #11) by Jahnna N. Malcolm .

But, did the book seem brand new in 2004-2005, or was it an older copy?
Swept Away Swept Away (The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, #1) by Josepha Sherman ?

And this one matches your time period, gray horse, maybe wings description and it's fantasy... but it doesn't look like it's a series.
The Blue Roan Child The Blue Roan Child by Jamieson Findlay .

message 6: by Ange (new)

Ange | 4 comments Bummer none of those are it, but thanks for helping!

message 7: by Lou (last edited Apr 24, 2015 03:49PM) (new)

Lou Rocama | 436 comments Was it the first in the series, or a later book?

This is popped into my mind, but I don't remember it well enough to know how well it fits. There are a lot of different covers, but most seem to have a winged horse.

A Swiftly Tilting Planet (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #3) by Madeleine L'Engle

message 8: by Kimber (last edited Apr 24, 2015 05:00PM) (new)

Kimber (kimberlibri) | 158 comments A Swiftly Tilting Planet? A Swiftly Tilting Planet (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #3) by Madeleine L'Engle for another cover. I thought of that immediately when reading your request.

message 9: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 211 comments The Dark Is Rising it's the second book i. The series. There are several covers, and they nealy all have a horse on the cover. This is the cover that I immediately thought of based on your description.

message 10: by Ange (new)

Ange | 4 comments Thank ya'll but those aren't it.

message 11: by Mike (new)

Mike (Fugue78) | 4 comments Not Arrows of the Queen, is it?

Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar, #1) by Mercedes Lackey

message 12: by Mike (new)

Mike (Fugue78) | 4 comments Ah, never mind. I see that it's on that list of fantasies with horses.

message 13: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments Ange, did you check the list of fantasy covers with horses?

message 14: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 22 comments The Arkadians by Lloyd Alexander it's not really a horse but a donkey but it is a group including people and they band together and use their power to defeat evil.

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (misterfive) | 202 comments Are any of the suggested covers visually similar to the one you are looking for? That would help narrow down possibilities.

message 16: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 478 comments I was thinking one of the Valdemar books too, if not Arrows of the Queen then maybe Magic's Pawn, Storm Warning, or Winds of Fate. There are several instances of power-circles in Valdemar.

message 17: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Apr 26, 2015 12:17PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) The horses in the Valdemar books, if I remember correctly, were called "companions" and their humans "Heralds" if that rings a bell.

Author had another series in 2003 that had unicorns as pivotal plot point and a unicorn as one of the main characters in the "fellowship" -- I don't remember power circles per se but that was:

The Outstretched Shadow (Obsidian Mountain, #1) by Mercedes Lackey The Outstretched Shadow

Horses didn't play a major part (although on some of the book covers and many horses were beloved) in Robin Hobb's Farseer and Tawny Man books -- but, there were power circles (and villains abusing power circles):

Fool's Errand (Tawny Man, #1) by Robin Hobb Fool's Errand

Definitely horses and maybe power circles in the Green Rider books:

Green Rider (Green Rider, #1) by Kristen Britain First Rider's Call (Green Rider, #2) by Kristen Britain The High King's Tomb by Kristen Britain

Shinn's Twelve Houses?
Mystic and Rider (Twelve Houses, #1) by Sharon Shinn Mystic and Rider The Thirteenth House (Twelve Houses, #2) by Sharon Shinn The Thirteenth House Dark Moon Defender (Twelve Houses, #3) by Sharon Shinn Dark Moon Defender

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39287 comments Mod
Ange, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 19: by Louie (new)

Louie | 22 comments Into the Land of the Unicorns (Unicorn Chronicles, #1) by Bruce Coville there are other covers if this is not the right one and even if it isn't you should still read it. Also, here are some listopia list links, Horse Books: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...,
Unicorn Books: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 21: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments Horsemaster, by Marilyn Singer?

It feels like it should be the first book in a series, but there were no sequels written.

message 22: by Cameron (last edited Feb 17, 2018 09:26AM) (new)

Cameron | 12 comments Not an adult fantasy series, but the Diadem series popped into my head when thinking of a "horse" on the cover. Below are a couple of editions of Book 4: Book of Thunder. I don't think either of these are the original cover (they didn't look familiar to me, and I read the book), but worth a try!

Book Of Thunder Book Of Thunder (Diadem, Worlds of Magic, #4) by John Peel
Book Of Thunder Book Of Thunder by John Peel

message 23: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2420 comments Ange wrote: "I read it 10 years ago but remember loving it so much I did 2 book reports on it. "

And this is why one should always save one's book reports ;)

message 24: by Louie (new)

Louie | 22 comments Michele wrote: "Ange wrote: "I read it 10 years ago but remember loving it so much I did 2 book reports on it. "

And this is why one should always save one's book reports ;)"

Agreed.

message 25: by Michele (last edited Feb 17, 2018 11:24AM) (new)

Michele | 2420 comments ...the book isn't about a horse per se. The main characters are human. It was mainly about them putting their powers together to defeat the evil....

Given that, is there any chance it might be one of the books in Madeleine L'Engle's "Time Quartet" series? At least two of them feature winged horses or horse-like beings on the covers of various editions, for example:

A Wrinkle in Time:
A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle A Wrinkle in Time (Time, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle

A Swiftly Tilting Planet:
A Swiftly Tilting Planet (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #3) by Madeleine L'Engle A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle

message 26: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39287 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Ange, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.