THE WORLD WAR TWO GROUP discussion

ARCHIVED THREADS > seeking a lost book--halp!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks (last edited Apr 23, 2015 09:25PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) I must turn to this group in supplication, for I know you alone can assist me. Searching for a lost, long-forgotten WWII paperback book title, the incarnation of which I last saw on a shelf when I was a wee lad.

The reason I'm trying to recall it now is that I want to look again at its lurid-most paperback cover. It depicted a night-time battleship attack in the South Pacific; painted in scorching hues of red and black.

The title is something to do with the word, 'salvo'. 'Under Salvo'? 'Hellish Salvo'? 'Final Salvo'? 'Something'-Salvo.

Of this I am sure. It was a strange vocabulary word for me to encounter at the time (and what's worse, I've never found an opportunity to use it in real life).

Definitely WWII --could be nonfiction, could be fiction. Printed during the 60s. Owned by an older relative and handed down to the family bookshelves long before I even arrived on the scene.

I know this is the place to bring this cryptic request!

Thanks all!

Feliks

message 2: by Manray9 (new)

Manray9 | 4276 comments Feliks wrote: "I must turn to this group in supplication, for I know you alone can assist me. Searching for a lost, long-forgotten WWII paperback book title, the incarnation of which I last saw on a shelf when I ..."

How about:

Salvo! Classic Naval Gun Actions by Bernard Edwards Salvo!: Classic Naval Gun Actions by Bernard Edwards

message 3: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) That caught my eye too, yes--when I searched just moments ago. But the publishing dates seem all wrong, eh?

Otherwise I would be sure it was the title.

Thanks ManRay

message 4: by Manray9 (new)

Manray9 | 4276 comments Feliks wrote: "That caught my eye too, yes--when I searched just moments ago. But the publishing dates seem all wrong, eh?

Otherwise I would be sure it was the title.

Thanks ManRay"

Sure it wasn't "Savo," as the island?

message 5: by Feliks (last edited Apr 23, 2015 09:48PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) I'm as sure as I can be that it had to do with naval mayhem in the Pacific...rather than a specific place...

message 6: by 'Aussie Rick', Moderator (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) | 17319 comments I fully understand your quest to find a long lost book but if folks could check and see if there is a thread already set up to use first before starting another one as I don't what this group to end up with a proliferation of one-of posts/comments which tend to clutter the group up. If you can't find a thread that is appropriate send me a message and I will set one up or suggest a thread to use. In this case could we use the thread: 'I'm looking for a book on':

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Or even in the pacific theatre thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I'll leave this thread up for a while then I will either archive it or delete it.

message 7: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Agreed. Concur.

But in my defense, you surely can see that this group homepage already has a LOT of sections and already has a LOT of threads. Kind of difficult to spot 'exactly where' a new thread should go. Especially with a 'stuttering bandwidth' connection (lately).

If you wish me to re-post or delete or move this thread, let me know..

message 8: by 'Aussie Rick', Moderator (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) | 17319 comments It was even worse before I took over Feliks! :)

I go through and archive and delete threads on a regular basis but try to keep those in use open for as long as I can. I will keep this thread active for a while in case someone knows the title of the book you are after and I will delete/archive it during one of my regular clean ups.

message 9: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) That's very fair. I'm at ease with whatever you gotta do to maintain order. Policing the area! I'm all in favor of it!

This is a very well managed group, anyone can see so, at a glance.

p.s. I did try try to spot a 'lost book' thread before I posted but I got dizzy just skimming down through all the activity!

message 10: by 'Aussie Rick', Moderator (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) | 17319 comments I am currently trying to find a copy of a book in my library that may be the one your looking for, I'll get back to you with details as soon as I can lay my hands on it :)

message 11: by 'Aussie Rick', Moderator (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) | 17319 comments This was the book I was thinking of but wrong time period if you are talking about the 1960's:

The Shame of Savo Anatomy of a Naval Disaster by Bruce Loxton The Shame of Savo: Anatomy of a Naval Disaster by Bruce Loxton

message 12: by Feliks (last edited Apr 24, 2015 10:00AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Thanks Rick. Appreciate you trying to help out on this one. I am really scratching my head over it. It is odd that I can't cough-up more detail. Especially, with that very uncommon word in the title..its surprising that an internet search doesn't bring it right up.

This book was on my childhood bookshelf for years, I never read it but just the cover art kept it there.

The cover was reddish-hued and tinted, as if by proverbial rocket's-red-glare. Huge battleships plowing through angry wave-crests. Night-time sea battle. Swirling smoke, explosions, and mayhem.

Black back-cover with light text. Publisher: something like Fawcett or Grosset Dunlap, Pinnacle, etc. Definitely 'WWII grindhouse' rather than a scholarly piece of writing.

Possible titles:
Enemy Salvo?
Under Salvo?
Devil's Salvo?
Deadly Salvo?

Grrr!

message 13: by Feliks (last edited Apr 24, 2015 10:07AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Is it possible that Bernard Edwards book on classic naval gun actions is a reprint from a much earlier publication-run? I mean, I would totally figure that to be the work, except for the incongruity of the date. The book seems to have been published by a series of different publishers: 'Naval Institute Press'; 'Cassell'; 'Caxton'; 'ZBS'; 'Weidenfield'; 'Arms and Armour Press'...

message 14: by Howard (new)

Howard | 300 comments I looked up USS Washington because there is a lot on the internet about her to see what books were in the footnotes, but I didn't see anything like what you describe.

message 15: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) That's a mighty clever maneuver. Thanks!

message 16: by Geevee, Assisting Moderator British & Commonwealth Forces (new)

Geevee | 3796 comments Looked at Abe, Amazon and Fantastic Fiction (just in case it was), also looked up USS Maury, which was at Savo Island. Drawn a blank Feliks.

message 17: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Worldcat.org had some interesting suggestions too, but I stopped at page 4 of choices...

message 18: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Oh well. I guess this thread should be archived. Written off as a dud. I'm satisfied the book can't be found. Thx everyone...