Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Favorite MG Fantasy Covers?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (new)

James (jamesgg) | 9 comments What's your favorite MG fantasy cover, and why?

So many recent ones seem to me to be kind of dark (palette-wise) without a clear clue as to what the story's about, but maybe I'm missing something.

And of course, I read "The Hobbit" with that 1960s cover with the flamingoes...so what do I know? :)

message 2: by wanderer (new)

message 3: by Louie (new)

Louie | 82 comments I love the covers for 13 Treasures by Michelle Harrison 13 Treasures (Thirteen Treasures, #1) by Michelle Harrison , Ogre Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine Ogre Enchanted (Ella Enchanted, #0.5) by Gail Carson Levine , and The Serpents Secret by Sayantani Dasgupta The Serpent's Secret (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #1) by Sayantani DasGupta .

message 4: by Melody (new)

Melody Bremen (melodyjbremen) | 66 comments I always thought these covers were lovely:
The Copper Gauntlet (Magisterium, #2) by Holly Black The Bell Between Worlds (The Mirror Chronicles, #1) by Ian Johnstone The Relic of Perilous Falls (Will Wilder #1) by Raymond Arroyo Silver Moon (Violet Moon Series Book 2) by Jennifer Minton
They all just seem really atmospheric.

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1668 comments Mod
Well, I liked Jemima Pett's covers enough to steal her cover artist. I think this one's my favorite: The Princelings and the Pirates (Princelings of the East, #2) by Jemima Pett

Unless it's maybe this one: The Princelings of the North (The Princelings of the East #8) by Jemima Pett

I like the colors, and the way you look through a tunnel to the other world of the books, a world that you can see is almost like ours, but has a little something more.

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1668 comments Mod
But I was forgetting about this one:
Granted by John David Anderson

I'm not sure why, but to me it was just a perfect cover. Part of it is the color. I'm a sucker for deep blue and black.

message 7: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Pett | 1312 comments Mod
I think cover colours go in fashions; it seems I get a bundle of covers in the same colour scheme for a few months, then it shifts agin. This month, the colour is 'pale'. I remember in May everything was blue & black as Rebecca says... although mine were sort of ice-blue.

This year, I think The Company of Eight by Harriet Whitehorn The Company of Eight took my award for best cover. But then, it was my favourite shade of blue.

I also really liked The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman and Inkheart (Inkworld, #1) by Cornelia Funke .

The Lockwood & Co covers are all really atmospheric, too - but dark!

PS - thanks, Rebecca :D

message 8: by MartinInAMask (new)

MartinInAMask | 15 comments James wrote: "What's your favorite MG fantasy cover, and why?

So many recent ones seem to me to be kind of dark (palette-wise) without a clear clue as to what the story's about, but maybe I'm missing something..."

Well, I love a lot so get strapped in. I like color and action in my covers so here are some of my favorite.
Seeds of Rebellion and Winter Turning, Tito the Bonecrusher and finally Ronan Boyle and the Bridge of Riddles

message 9: by Kiri (new)

Kiri (kirikat) Shadow Weaver (Shadow Weaver, #1) by MarcyKate Connolly Comet Rising (Shadow Weaver, #2) by MarcyKate Connolly Beautifully illustrated, I adore these covers.

message 10: by Harley (new)

message 11: by Louie (new)

Louie | 82 comments Harley wrote: "Valkyrie by Kate O'Hearn"

Yes! Valkyrie has such a good cover and it is a great story too!

message 12: by Louie (new)

Louie | 82 comments The Elsewhere bookseries is one of my favorites and so are the covers. They always seem to draw me in.
The Shadows (The Books of Elsewhere, #1) by Jacqueline West Spellbound (The Books of Elsewhere, #2) by Jacqueline West The Second Spy (The Books of Elsewhere, #3) by Jacqueline West The Strangers (The Books of Elsewhere, #4) by Jacqueline West Still Life (The Books of Elsewhere, #5) by Jacqueline West