Reading the Chunksters discussion

General Archive > Nominations - Emotional Powerhouse

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) It is that time of the year when one big adventure ends and the other one begins. We will be finishing the Quincunx, Our Literary readathon is in full swing, and we will be trying to re-launch the War and Peace prosaic epopee because you are guys very dedicated and wonderful readers.

Now, I remember, during our previous nomination process, I said that our next modern chunkster themed read will be 'A Chunkster in Transaltion', but we are currently reading the two books that were originally written in Russian and French respectively, so I decided to forgo this theme and save it for more opportune time and have something new instead.

How about The Emotional Powerhouse , that is the book that disturbs you, emotionally devastates you, makes you cry or but also cleanses you like any good catharsis?

My nomination is The Kindly Ones.

Nominate your books, my friends.

message 2: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 885 comments Somerset Maugham, Of Human Bondage

This book devastated me emotionally when I read it in my 20s. I have wanted to re-read it for years but have never quite had the courage to come face to face with the memory of the emotional trauma of my first reading.

If people vote for it, this will be the time to do so.

BTW, Of Human Bondage was named No. 44 of the Guardian's 100 Best Novels.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014...

message 3: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Oh, those homoerotic messages. Hidden, but definitely there, as well the motives of the Persian carpet! Enjoyed it a lot when I was a student! In general, I used to looooove Maugham, but it was long time ago. It might be the time to re-visit his best ones!

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1319 comments Zulfiya, your nomination looks interesting, but definitely a tough read. Everyman, I'm curious about your nomination as well, and it looks potentially a bit less traumatic than Zulfiya's nom.

I don't have a nomination at the moment, but am curious what else others come up with.

message 5: by Teanka (new)

Teanka I don't think it's easy to come up with a book in such a category unless you've already read it. The books that I had in mind don't belong here. But I want to read The Kindly Ones and it would be great to discuss it with you.

message 6: by Ami (new)

Ami Everyman wrote: "Somerset Maugham, Of Human Bondage

This book devastated me emotionally when I read it in my 20s. I have wanted to re-read it for years but have never quite had the courage to come fa..."

You've got my vote!

message 7: by Nina (new)

Nina (ninarg) | 79 comments Everyman wrote: "Somerset Maugham, Of Human Bondage

This book devastated me emotionally when I read it in my 20s. I have wanted to re-read it for years but have never quite had the courage to come fa..."

I am moving from London to Denmark in a month and have to cram all my stuff into three boxes and two suitcases, so I am in full swing getting rid of things - selling, donating, throwing away. But if this book wins, I'll run straight to a bookstore and participate anyway. I couldn't stay away even if I wanted to.

message 8: by Kaycie (new)

Kaycie | 294 comments Teanka wrote: "I don't think it's easy to come up with a book in such a category unless you've already read it. The books that I had in mind don't belong here. But I want to read The Kindly Ones an..."

My thoughts exactly, Teanka! I might just sit back and watch these nominations happen!

message 9: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) | 152 comments I have been wanting to read Of Human Bondage for years, I'm a big fan of Maugham yet somehow never got to his masterpiece.

I just can't bring myself to read holocaust stories, sorry Zulfiya :( And I will have to ponder what books I know of that would fit the theme, at over 500 pages.

The nominations are already fascinating!

message 10: by Teanka (new)

Teanka I have come up with a nomination that qualifies (I think): Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the book, it is a family saga of three generations of women set in XXth century China. I haven't read it yet.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) | 150 comments I haven't come up with a nomination yet but I want to read all of the ones nominated.

message 12: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) I'm nominating The Man Who Laughs by Victor Hugo again. I haven't read it yet, but this looks like the heartbreaking lifestory of a boy sold to a troupe who intentionally destroy his face to make him part of their freak show. Gwynplaine is said to be the inspirational source for the Joker. It sounds cruel, but still, it's Hugo, so I really want to read it.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Oh Teanka! Did you have to come up with one I want read? I was planning on skipping this one.

message 14: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1319 comments Sam wrote: "I'm nominating The Man Who Laughs by Victor Hugo again."

I was drawn to this nomination last time, but I can't remember if I had actually voted for it or not. Now I'm being torn between two of the above nominations!

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1319 comments Sarah wrote: "Oh Teanka! Did you have to come up with one I want read? I was planning on skipping this one."

Yep. This seems to happen to me all the time. :) I think this time last year I was reading all four Chunksters at the same time - the two main reads, a side read, and a buddy read!

message 16: by Nicola (last edited Apr 26, 2015 11:21AM) (new)

Nicola | 522 comments I will nominate The First Circle. Does this qualify as an emotional powerhouse? I'm not sure how much 'cleansing' it will do...

I have to say I've been wanting to read Of Human Bondage as well :-)

message 17: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 522 comments Teanka wrote: "I have come up with a nomination that qualifies (I think): Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the book, it is a fam..."

This is indeed an excellent book and certainly meets the criteria. The problem might be though that too many have already read it. I have, 2 or 3 times now, so I won't be reading it again :-)

message 18: by Teanka (last edited Apr 26, 2015 12:25PM) (new)

Teanka Sarah wrote: "Oh Teanka! Did you have to come up with one I want read? I was planning on skipping this one."

Happy to be of service :) And seriously, so far I want to read them all. I voted for The Man Who Laughs last time.

message 19: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Everyman wrote: "Somerset Maugham, Of Human Bondage

Great nomination, Everyman! I've been curious about Of Human Bondage myself, for a couple years now..:)

message 20: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Since the HBO miniseries is coming up this week and since I've heard the ending is very emotional, I'll nominate The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling.

message 21: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) I have heard that this one meets the criteria. A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara, but I haven't read it yet (it's actually newly published so I'm not sure if libraries would have it yet --- if you don't want to nominate because of this, that's OK)

message 22: by Kaycie (new)

Kaycie | 294 comments Brandon wrote: "Since the HBO miniseries is coming up this week and since I've heard the ending is very emotional, I'll nominate The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling."

I really enjoyed this book, and had no idea there was a mini series coming up! Awesome!

message 23: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 885 comments Zulfiya wrote: "How about The Emotional Powerhouse , that is the book that disturbs you, emotionally devastates you, makes you cry or but also cleanses you like any good catharsis? "

The implication of that invitation to nominate is that you have read the book. Otherwise, how do you know whether it emotionally devastates you? So I'm interested to see nominations of books people haven't read but want to. They may indeed be emotionally cleansing books, but how does one know?

message 24: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Kaycie wrote: "Brandon wrote: "Since the HBO miniseries is coming up this week and since I've heard the ending is very emotional, I'll nominate The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling...."

I'm glad to see you enjoyed it, Kaycie! There are a lot of negative reviews about it, most of which I'm guessing because people were disappointed that it wasn't secretly another Harry Potter.

message 25: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Everyman wrote: "Zulfiya wrote: "How about The Emotional Powerhouse , that is the book that disturbs you, emotionally devastates you, makes you cry or but also cleanses you like any good catharsis? "

The implicati..."

It might sound like this, but in fact, it does not have to be. How often do you check out a book from a library or buy one just because you have read positive reviews, someone recommended it or you liked the blurb or even the cover?

The whole industry of reviewing books exists only because it makes us read these books. I am sure one can nominate a book that has a strong potential for an emotional powerhouse with the help of reviews and its description.

.... and Blurb help us all :-)

message 26: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Nicola wrote: "I will nominate The First Circle. Does this qualify as an emotional powerhouse? I'm not sure how much 'cleansing' it will do...

I have to say I've been wanting to read [book:Of Huma..."

Looks like it is quite purging :-) The pun is intended. Have you read anything by Solzhenitsyn?

message 27: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) JoLene wrote: "I have heard that this one meets the criteria. A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara, but I haven't read it yet (it's actually newly published so I'm not sure if libra..."

I checked it out from my library but did not have time to open it. This is the reason why I checked out this book. So I am ALLLLL for it.

message 28: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) | 152 comments Nicola wrote: "Teanka wrote: "I have come up with a nomination that qualifies (I think): Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the bo..."

Oh dear, I really want to read this too... I've had it sitting in a stack for ages. I think I'd even prefer it over Maugham. Damn, this is getting too hard. Or too good. Pick your adjective.

message 29: by Linda (last edited Apr 26, 2015 07:46PM) (new)

Linda | 1319 comments JoLene wrote: "I have heard that this one meets the criteria. A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara, but I haven't read it yet (it's actually newly published so I'm not sure if libra..."

This book looks like it would definitely fit the bill, and has piqued my interest. But...my library has 47 hold on 16 copies so I'm not sure it would be a feasible pick (for me at least), since I wouldn't be able to recheck out the book, or even know when a copy would become available.

message 30: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristina3880) Linda wrote: "JoLene wrote: "I have heard that this one meets the criteria. A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara, but I haven't read it yet (it's actually newly published so I'm no..."

I read A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara . It does fit the criteria. The book is ALOT to deal and read through. I love that book. It would be great to discuss.

message 31: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 522 comments Zulfiya wrote: "Nicola wrote: "I will nominate The First Circle. Does this qualify as an emotional powerhouse? I'm not sure how much 'cleansing' it will do...

I have to say I've been wanting to rea..."

No, not yet...

message 32: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 522 comments Zulfiya wrote: "Nicola wrote: "I will nominate The First Circle. Does this qualify as an emotional powerhouse? I'm not sure how much 'cleansing' it will do...

I have to say I've been wanting to rea..."

I've realised that this is commonly available in two formats, abridged and non, due to censoring issues when published. As I only ever read unabridged versions and this is probably less available in libraries, I don't think it would be suitable. I am going to withdraw this from nomination.

message 33: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) @Everyman, I heard about A Little Life from a podcast that I listen to and that is how I know that it fits the bill.

message 34: by Becky (last edited Apr 28, 2015 07:34AM) (new)

Becky I would like to nominate All the Light We Cannot See. When we read The Invisible Bridge together I had tears streaming down my face through the entire last quarter of the book. I've heard such good things about this book, I'd love to read it with the group. It helps ease the emotion. Unless this is to take the place of the Classic book? If so, ignore my nomination.

message 35: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) Becky wrote: "I would like to nominate All the Light We Cannot See. When we read The Invisible Bridge together I had tears streaming down my face through the entire last quarter of the book. I've..."

I just started listening to the Audible version today; love it so far!

message 36: by Teanka (new)

Teanka Becky wrote: "I would like to nominate All the Light We Cannot See. "
I wasn't aware that it's long enough. Now I've checked and it's over 500 pages. I'm going to read it anyway, so for me it's a great nomination. It will be very hard to choose...

message 37: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) | 152 comments Teanka wrote: "Becky wrote: "I would like to nominate All the Light We Cannot See. "
I wasn't aware that it's long enough. Now I've checked and it's over 500 pages. I'm going to read it anyway, so..."

I am #544 on the hold list at my library (sigh).

message 38: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1319 comments Janice George (JG) wrote: "I am #544 on the hold list at my library (sigh)."

Oh my goodness! And I thought we were in for a long wait when I put a hold on a Minecraft book for my son and we were #167 in line.

message 39: by Sera (new)

Sera Since All the Light We Cannot See just won the Pulitzer Prize, I'm sure that there will be a resurgence in demand for the books.

message 40: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Dear friends, you still have a couple of days to nominate your book for this upcoming themed read.

message 41: by Anna (new)

Anna Moore (ihad2muchcoffee) JoLene wrote: "I have heard that this one meets the criteria. A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara, but I haven't read it yet (it's actually newly published so I'm not sure if libra..."

This book caught my eye. I'll second your nomination! :)

message 42: by Teanka (new)

Teanka Sera wrote: "Since All the Light We Cannot See just won the Pulitzer Prize, I'm sure that there will be a resurgence in demand for the books."

I just picked it yesterday from the library! But then I waited in queue for it for longer than a month.

message 43: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Bradshaw (llawryf) | 34 comments How about King Hereafter by Dorothy Dunnett?