Cozy Mysteries discussion

Reading Challenges > MAY 2015 Mini Challenges

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 19729 comments Mod
description

Are you ready for the latest literary scavenger hunt? Here are your mini challenges for the month of May 2015:

RULES:

** Books DO NOT all have to be mysteries. You can use any genres.

** You can only use a book once for this challenge, but can use it for other challenges (such as the Ultimate, World Trip or seasonal challenges).

** You DO NOT have to choose books in advance.

1. May 1 is Mother Goose Day and May 10 is Mother's Day: Read a book with a mother or grandmother in it.

2. May 2 is the Kentucky Derby: Read a book with a horse on the cover, or one that appears somewhere in the book (Hint: Dick Francis books are ideal for this one).

3. May 4 is Star Wars Day – May the fourth be with you: Read a book with “star” in the title, or that has stars on the cover.

4. May 5 is National Teachers Day: Read a book with a teacher in it, or where someone is in school.

5. The second week is Wildflower Week, and May 30 is Water a Flower Day: Read a book with flowers on the cover.

message 2: by Blanche (new)

Blanche Manos (blanchedaymanos) | 14 comments Great advice, nicely written.

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7491 comments I saw this and thought, man this is up REALLY early and then it hit me - May is next week! April has been a blur...onward to May!

message 4: by Lesley (last edited May 23, 2015 03:58PM) (new)

Lesley | 124 comments Nearly half way through the year!

1. May 1 is Mother Goose Day and May 10 is Mother's Day: Read a book with a mother or grandmother in it.
The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs 05/01/2015

2. May 2 is the Kentucky Derby: Read a book with a horse on the cover, or one that appears somewhere in the book (Hint: Dick Francis books are ideal for this one).
The Fortune Hunter by Daisy Goodwin 05/2/2015 (horse/hunt riding)

3. May 4 is Star Wars Day – May the fourth be with you: Read a book with “star” in the title, or that has stars on the cover.

4. May 5 is National Teachers Day: Read a book with a teacher in it, or where someone is in school.
Hello from the Gillespies by Monica McInerney (Ig is still at school) 05/02/2015

5. The second week is Wildflower Week, and May 30 is Water a Flower Day: Read a book with flowers on the cover.

message 5: by Becky (last edited May 02, 2015 04:06PM) (new)

Becky | 228 comments 1. May 1 is Mother Goose Day and May 10 is Mother's Day: Read a book with a mother or grandmother in it.
Staged to Deathby Karen Rose Smith Completed 05/02

Staged to Death (Caprice De Luca Mystery #1) by Karen Rose Smith

message 6: by Kimberly (last edited Apr 24, 2015 03:51PM) (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments I'm in. My list will be posted here. At least, I hope so... I haven't tried the html stuff in my comments as of yet. :) So, I may have to edit this comment...

Woo-hoo!!!! It worked! I just love learning new stuff. Now, I gotta figure out the "spoiler" stuff. ;)

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Kimberly wrote: "I'm in. My list will be posted here. At least, I hope so... I haven't tried the html stuff in my comments as of yet. :) So, I may have to edit this comment...

Woo-hoo!!!! It worked! I just love le..."

Spoilers are easy compared to making a link! Just type the word spoiler in between <> to start and then /spoiler in between <> to finish. For example, (view spoiler) is typed as:

<spoiler>this is a test</spoiler>

(In case you were wondering, I typed the above with special html codes so you could see what it looks like without actually being a spoiler.)

message 8: by Debbie (last edited May 29, 2015 01:56PM) (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 316 comments 1. May 1 is Mother Goose Day and May 10 is Mother's Day: Read a book with a mother or grandmother in it.
Can't Wait to Get to Heaven Can't Wait to Get to Heaven (Elmwood Springs, #3) by Fannie Flagg by Fannie Flagg 5/5/15

2. May 2 is the Kentucky Derby: Read a book with a horse that appears somewhere in the book. Last Chance Beauty Queen by Hope Ramsay 5/2/15

3. May 4 is Star Wars Day – May the fourth be with you: Read a book with stars on the cover Brownies and Broomsticks 5/8/15

4. May 5 is National Teachers Day: Read a book with a teacher in it Murder at the National Cathedral by Margaret Truman 5/29/15

5. The second week is Wildflower Week, and May 30 is Water a Flower Day: Read a book with flowers on the cover. The Inn at Eagle Point by Sherryl Woods 5/13/15

The Inn at Eagle Point (Chesapeake Shores, #1) by Sherryl Woods Last Chance Beauty Queen (Last Chance, #3) by Hope Ramsay Brownies and Broomsticks (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #1) by Bailey Cates Murder at the National Cathedral (Capital Crimes, #10) by Margaret Truman

message 9: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Leslie wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "I'm in. My list will be posted here. At least, I hope so... I haven't tried the html stuff in my comments as of yet. :) So, I may have to edit this comment...

Woo-hoo!!!! It worke..."

Thanks Leslie! :) I've been wondering how it's done and I didn't notice it in the "some html is ok" list.

message 10: by Valerie (last edited May 19, 2015 03:44PM) (new)

Valerie | 440 comments I am in...looks like some good categories.

6/6

1. May 1 is Mother Goose Day and May 10 is Mother's Day: Read a book with a mother or grandmother in it. DONE

3. Star Wars Day – May the fourth be with you: Read a book with “star” in the title, or that has stars on the cover. DONE

4. Teachers Day: Read a book with a teacher in it, or where someone is in school. DONE

5. The second week is Wildflower Week, and May 30 is Water a Flower Day: Read a book with flowers on the cover. DONE

Plus Bonus of Author of the Month Some Enchanted Éclair (A Magical Bakery Mystery #4) by Bailey Cates

Some Like It Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #5) by Heather Blake Tacked to Death (Horse Lover's Mystery, #3) by Michele Scott Star Spangled Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #11) by Leslie Meier A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1) by Laurien Berenson A Ghostly Grave (Ghostly Southern Mysteries, #2) by Tonya Kappes

message 11: by Charity (last edited May 24, 2015 05:20PM) (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) I'm in and will start with a goal of 3.

5/3

1. May 1 is Mother Goose Day and May 10 is Mother's Day: Read a book with a mother or grandmother in it. Grave Sight 5/1/15

2. May 2 is the Kentucky Derby: Read a book with a horse on the cover, or one that appears somewhere in the book (Hint: Dick Francis books are ideal for this one). Pride and Prejudice 5/9/15

3. May 4 is Star Wars Day – May the fourth be with you: Read a book with “star” in the title, or that has stars on the cover. The Book of Life 5/24/15

4. May 5 is National Teachers Day: Read a book with a teacher in it, or where someone is in school. Paper Towns 5/18/15

5. The second week is Wildflower Week, and May 30 is Water a Flower Day: Read a book with flowers on the cover. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan 5/20/15

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7491 comments Still have some categories to fill in but I was able to come up with books for some really quickly!

Mother Goose Day and Mother's Day: Mother's Day Murder

Kentucky Derby: The Bridled Groom

Star Wars Day: May the fourth be with you: Read a book with “star” in the title, or that has stars on the cover.

National Teachers Day: Murder of a Creped Suzette

Wildflower Week and Water a Flower Day: Read a book with flowers on the cover.

Mother's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #15) by Leslie Meier The Bridled Groom (Sarah Deane Mystery, #6) by J.S. Borthwick Murder of a Creped Suzette (A Scumble River Mystery, #14) by Denise Swanson

message 13: by Julesy (last edited May 13, 2015 08:16PM) (new)

Julesy | 1342 comments This is Julesy's tracking post. I think I have my books picked out already and will post them when completed.

Updated: May 13th
Progress: 4/5

Wave Good-bye by Lila Dare

By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder

The Shanghai Moon by S.J. Rozan - There is a star barely visible in between the lights of the bridge.

One False Move by Harlan Coben - In this book, the MC attends medical school.

message 14: by Fairlee (new)

Fairlee Corkran | 25 comments 1. May 1 is Mother Goose Day and May 10 is Mother's Day: Read a book with a mother or grandmother in it.

reply | flag *

message 15: by Mary (Biblophile) (last edited May 23, 2015 05:14AM) (new)

Mary  (Biblophile) | 4516 comments I'll give this one a try, too.

5/5

1. May 1 is Mother Goose Day and May 10 is Mother's Day : Read a book with a mother or grandmother in it.

Group, Photo, Grave....5/1/15

2. May 2 is the Kentucky Derby : Read a book with a horse on the cover, or one that appears somewhere in the book (Hint: Dick Francis books are ideal for this one).

A Basket of Trouble.....5/6/15

3. May 4 is Star Wars Day – May the fourth be with you : Read a book with “star” in the title, or that has stars on the cover.

Cloaked in Malice....5/3/15

4. May 5 is National Teachers Day : Read a book with a teacher in it, or where someone is in school.

Schooled in Lies.....5/22/15

5. The second week is Wildflower Week, and May 30 is Water a Flower Day : Read a book with flowers on the cover.

Big Bunny Bump Off....5/15/15

Group, Photo, Grave (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #8) by Joanna Campbell Slan A Basket of Trouble (Claire Hanover, Gift Basket Designer, #3) by Beth Groundwater Cloaked in Malice (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #5) by Annette Blair Schooled in Lies (Kendra Clayton Mystery, #4) by Angela Henry Big Bunny Bump Off (Zoe Donovan Mystery Book 5) by Kathi Daley

message 16: by Melanie (last edited May 27, 2015 08:40AM) (new)

Melanie (ladybugh) | 50 comments I'm in for this month.

4/5 as of May 27/2015

1. May 1 is Mother Goose Day and May 10 is Mother's Day : Read a book with a mother or grandmother in it.
Pall in the Family by Dawn Eastman, May 17/2015

2. May 2 is the Kentucky Derby : Read a book with a horse on the cover, or one that appears somewhere in the book: Dick Francis's Damage by Felix Francis, May 25/2015

3. May 4 is Star Wars Day – May the fourth be with you : Read a book with “star” in the title, or that has stars on the cover.

4. May 5 is National Teachers Day : Read a book with a teacher in it, or where someone is in school.
As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust by Alan Bradley, May 9/2015

5. The second week is Wildflower Week, and May 30 is Water a Flower Day : Read a book with flowers on the cover. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde, May 25/2015

Pall in the Family (A Family Fortune Mystery, #1) by Dawn Eastman Dick Francis's Damage by Felix Francis As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust (Flavia de Luce, #7) by Alan Bradley The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1) by Jasper Fforde

message 17: by Katherine (last edited Jun 04, 2015 09:57AM) (new)

Katherine Decker | 186 comments In between semesters of grad school so I’m in for this month.
3/5 as of 5/31/15
1. May 1 is Mother Goose Day and May 10 is Mother's Day: Read a book with a mother or grandmother in it-
2. May 2 is the Kentucky Derby: Read a book with a horse on the cover, or one that appears somewhere in the book- Paw and Order - Diane Kelly - 5/20/15 (at rodeo)
3. May 4 is Star Wars Day – May the fourth be with you: Read a book with “star” in the title, or that has stars on the cover-
4. May 5 is National Teachers Day: Read a book with a teacher in it, or where someone is in school-
NYPD Red 3 - James Patterson 5/23/15
5. The second week is Wildflower Week, and May 30 is Water a Flower Day: Read a book with flowers on the cover- Borrowed Crime: A Bookmobile Cat Mystery - Laurie Cass 5/11/15
Paw and Order (K9, #2) by Diane Kelly NYPD Red 3 by James Patterson Borrowed Crime A Bookmobile Cat Mystery by Laurie Cass

message 18: by Melyssa (new)

Melyssa R (melyssar) | 15 comments I am in for this month! I have my books picked out!

message 19: by Amber (last edited May 31, 2015 06:32PM) (new)

Amber (arboan) | 113 comments 1. May 1 is Mother Goose Day and May 10 is Mother's Day: Read a book with a mother or grandmother in it. The Age of Miracles 05.10.15

2. May 2 is the Kentucky Derby: Read a book with a horse on the cover, or one that appears somewhere in the book (Hint: Dick Francis books are ideal for this one). High Stakes 05.30.15

3. May 4 is Star Wars Day – May the fourth be with you: Read a book with “star” in the title, or that has stars on the cover. Brownies and Broomsticks 05.31.15

4. May 5 is National Teachers Day: Read a book with a teacher in it, or where someone is in school. The Last Time We Say Goodbye 05.16.15

5. The second week is Wildflower Week, and May 30 is Water a Flower Day: Read a book with flowers on the cover.Dead in the Family 05.17.15

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker The Last Time We Say Goodbye by Cynthia Hand Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10) by Charlaine Harris Brownies and Broomsticks (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #1) by Bailey Cates High Stakes by Dick Francis

message 20: by Jill (new)

Jill Tool | 62 comments 1. May 1 is Mother Goose Day and May 10 is Mother's Day: Read a book with a mother or grandmother in it.

message 21: by Julesy (new)

Julesy | 1342 comments I finished the May challenge halfway through the month!

Updated: May 15th
Progress: 5/5

Wave Good-bye by Lila Dare

By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder

The Shanghai Moon by S.J. Rozan - There is a star barely visible in between the lights of the bridge.

One False Move by Harlan Coben - In this book, the MC attends medical school.

The First Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder

message 22: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla1957) | 928 comments Woo Hoo, way to go Julesy! Congratulations.

message 23: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 440 comments Good job!

message 24: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Congrats Julesy! :) That's awesome!

message 25: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3888 comments Mod
Congrats, Julesy!

message 26: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Congrats, Julesy! I have only one more to go myself.

message 27: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7491 comments Just finished up!

Mother Goose Day and Mother's Day: The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion 5/6/15

Kentucky Derby: The Bridled Groom 5/9/15

Star Wars Day: Kiss of Death 5/15/15

National Teachers Day: Murder of a Creped Suzette 5/18/15

Wildflower Week and Water a Flower Day: Mother's Day Murder 5/12/15

The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #5) by Alice Kimberly The Bridled Groom (Sarah Deane Mystery, #6) by J.S. Borthwick Kiss of Death (Daytime Mystery, #4) by Linda Palmer Murder of a Creped Suzette (A Scumble River Mystery, #14) by Denise Swanson Mother's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #15) by Leslie Meier

message 28: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla1957) | 928 comments Way to go Linda, I might not get this one, I still have 3 more to go.

message 29: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Linda! I don't think I can finish it this month, as I'm reading a fantasy trilogy and they are more than 300 pages each book.

message 30: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 440 comments Congrats to all who have finished.

message 31: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 440 comments I completed my five...plus I added author of the month! I still have time, so I am doing another by author of the month.

message 32: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Congratulations Linda and Valerie! :)

I have two more to go, so hopefully I can finish. The one I'm on is over 500 pages long, but there are still 10 days left. :)

message 33: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) Updated message 11.

3/3

message 34: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) Updated message 11.

4/3

message 35: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Congrats, Linda!

I started my last book for this challenge last night.

Mary  (Biblophile) | 4516 comments Update Message 16:

5/5....DONE

message 37: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla1957) | 928 comments Congratulations Mary. This was a tough one for me this month.

message 38: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Mary!

message 39: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Good job, Mary!

message 40: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 440 comments Good job, everyone!! I agree, some of the topics were a little harder, and more out of my comfort zone. Example, the horse book. Used an author I have read before that also does ones with horses, but it still was not exactly my area of enjoyment. But, I made it through!

message 41: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) Updated message 11. Challenge complete. My goal was 3 but I managed to get in all 5.

message 42: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 440 comments Good for you, Charity!

message 43: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Charity!

message 44: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla1957) | 928 comments Way to go Charity.

message 45: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Good job, Charity!

message 46: by Julesy (new)

Julesy | 1342 comments Congratulations, Mary and Charity!

message 47: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 1887 comments I surprised myself by finding a book for each category, even tho I may have stretched a category or two!

May 2015 Mini-Challenges

5/5

1. May 1 is Mother Goose Day and May 10 is Mother's Day: Read a book with a mother or grandmother in it. heroine is a mother
The Liar by Nora Roberts

2. May 2 is the Kentucky Derby: Read a book with a horse on the cover: What Happens At Christmas (Millworth Manor, #1) by Victoria Alexander
3. May 4 is Star Wars Day – May the fourth be with you: Read a book that has stars on the cover. the stars are hard to see, but they're there! Brownies and Broomsticks (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #1) by Bailey Cates
4. May 5 is National Teachers Day: Read a book with a teacher in it, or where someone is in school. Dr. Dee's daughters have a tutor - hope that qualifies! By Royal Command (At the House of the Magician, #2) by Mary Hooper
5. The second week is Wildflower Week, and May 30 is Water a Flower Day: Read a book with flowers on the cover. Those are lavender stalks on the cover & they feature in the story At the House of the Magician (At the House of the Magician, #1) by Mary Hooper

message 48: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Finished over the weekend!

Betrayed by Lisa Scottoline

2. May 2 is the Kentucky Derby: Read a book with a horse on the cover, or one that appears somewhere in the book.
Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

3. May 4 is Star Wars Day – May the fourth be with you: Read a book with "star" in the title, or that has stars on the cover.
Brownies and Broomsticks by Bailey Cates

Out of Sight, Out of Time by Ally Carter

Keeping Mum by Alyse Carlson

Betrayed (Rosato & DiNunzio, #2) by Lisa Scottoline Black Beauty  by Anna Sewell Brownies and Broomsticks (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #1) by Bailey Cates Out of Sight, Out of Time (Gallagher Girls, #5) by Ally Carter Keeping Mum (A Garden Society Mystery, #3) by Alyse Carlson

message 49: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Way to go, BJ!

message 50: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Heather!

« previous 1