Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bloodstone
This topic is about Bloodstone
Bulletin Board > Happy Birthday, Will Shakespeare!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Helen | 368 comments Today is the Bard's 451st birthday, and I'm blogging in celebration of his influence on popular fiction. If you'd like to join in, come over to http://helencjohannes.blogspot.com/

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2189 comments I did not know this, thanks for sharing Helen!

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic | 1075 comments How often have works of an author or playwright been subject to 4 1/2 centuries of public acclaim? William Shakespeare, is better known and more popular today than when his works were first introduced in the 17th. century.

message 4: by Philip (new)

Philip Dodd (philipdodd) | 65 comments The Bard's Birthday

Today is Thursday, 23rd, April, 2015, Saint George's Day, here in England. It is also William Shakespeare's birthday. To celebrate, here are some lines from the Bard himself:

Forsooth, tis my birthday today,
I Will was born in April
on the twenty third day,
merry was I as the green wood in May,
so to yon tavern,
bring barrels of ale to laden a wagon,
for tis also the day we remember,
Saint George slew the dragon.

Though I type on my new fangled laptop,
methinks, still I prefer the quill and the pen,
I Will, master of blank verse and sonnet,
the like thou wilt not see again.

Thy most humble, celebrated Bard,
William Shakespeare

message 5: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hausmann | 183 comments It's also World Book and Copyright Day - 23 April

http://www.un.org/en/events/bookday/
#authors #amwriting #copyright

message 6: by Adriano (new)

Adriano Bulla (adriano_bulla) | 313 comments I've put a little tribute to Shakespeare on my blog too; I think the world is going through a huge change in consciousness, a change that is very painful, but I feel that it is good, a bit as if the Earth were 'detoxing' and all the pain is being squeezed out, and some of us are like 'lightning rods' , or channels for this, and I always felt Hamlet had felt the same in the transition from the Middle Ages to the Renaissance, so, here's my tribute: http://literatureab.blogspot.co.uk/20...

message 7: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hausmann | 183 comments It's a great blog @Adriano.
Have you noticed that it's also World Book and Copyright Day? I wonder if Shakespeare's birthday was chosen deliberately to also draw attention to love for books and to the importance of protecting intellectual property?

Quoting your blog, "On this day, Shakespeare’s dual anniversary, of birth and death, our thoughts should focus on how now, too, time is out of joint..."

message 8: by Adriano (new)

Adriano Bulla (adriano_bulla) | 313 comments Hello Gisela,

Thanks! I'm not sure honestly, but it seems too strange to be a coincidence.

Ade

message 9: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hausmann | 183 comments Agreed @Adriano

This can't be a coincidence - I love it.
Shakespeare
World Book
& Copyright

Very cool