All Souls Trilogy Re-read discussion

Just for Fun! > A Trip to North Berwick, Scotland

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 23, 2015 05:55PM) (new)

Thanks to re-read member readsandeats, we have a special treat today!

Readsandeats lives in North Berwick, Scotland, where King James ruthlessly persecuted a number of innocent men and women on suspicion of witchcraft. As you can see from the photos, Berwick today is a lovely seaside town.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

In 1590, however, its natural beauty was marred by fear and hatred. As she so skillfully does throughout the series, Deb weaves historical fact into her gripping fiction. In chapter 5 of SoN, Gallowglass explains to Matthew and Diana:

"The authorities have rounded up dozens of the poor wretches.... The cunning woman in the town of Keith, Widow Sampson, is awaiting the king's questioning in the dungeons of Holyrood Palace. Who knows how many will join her there before this business is done?"

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks so much for sharing, readsandeats! I think I can speak for the group when I say how much we've enjoyed this peek at a place that incorporates both breathtaking scenery and a dark moment in history.

message 10: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 14 comments Thanks readsandeats!

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  (jessical1961) What a lovely tour, Readsandeats! Thank you so much!

message 12: by Readsandeats (new)

Readsandeats | 54 comments My pleasure. It was nice to be able to give you a wee taste of North Berwick although in SoN it was wrongly named Berwick (I did e mail DH and let her know the mistake and received a lovely reply).
The local drama circle wrote and performed a play about the Witches of North Berwick which was very informative.

We don't always have such good weather as when these photos were taken.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Readsandeats wrote: "My pleasure. It was nice to be able to give you a wee taste of North Berwick although in SoN it was wrongly named Berwick (I did e mail DH and let her know the mistake and received a lovely reply)...."

Oh, I'm sorry, Readsandeats! You did tell me that it was North Berwick. My apologies!

message 14: by Readsandeats (new)

Readsandeats | 54 comments No worries. It is confusing when you have both Berwick Upon Tweed (which is called Berwick for short and is on the Scottish/English border and actually in England) and then you have North Berwick.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 51 comments I'm a little late re-joining the group this week.

Thanks, Readsandeats, for sharing your photos. One day, I hope to visit Scotland.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Melissa wrote: "I'm a little late re-joining the group this week.

Thanks, Readsandeats, for sharing your photos. One day, I hope to visit Scotland."

Glad you joined us, Melissa! The schedule is just a suggestion. We all have busy lives, but it's fun to take a moment out of them to share our thoughts about books we love.

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 51 comments :)

I'm going slower this time around because I'm reading and listening to the audiobook, too.

You all got me hooked on it!

message 18: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 13 comments I love The coast up there its so beautiful.
We were talking about how I would have been burned as a witch as I enjoy the herbal lore. My friend said she would have been burned for just having wild red hair. We would be dunked a few times and if still alive, burnt at the stake. Such a delightful time in own history

message 19: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbaradesimone51gmailcom) | 32 comments Thank you the pictures are lovely and the history is very interesting. I hope to visit one day.

message 20: by Alison (new)

Alison | 4 comments Joanna... Funny, I once went to see a psychic in Arizona with some friends and she told me that I'd been burned as a witch in a previous life. Not sure I believe that, but fun to consider - maybe I can time travel and change what happened!

message 21: by Terri (new)

Terri Garner | 7 comments Enjoyed the read of comments and the information on North Berwick. It's nice to know that we can see this instead of imaging what it looks like. I hope to visit someday soon.
Thank you

message 22: by Readsandeats (new)

Readsandeats | 54 comments Glad that you liked them. Today it doesn't look like the photos as it is raining!!