Japanese Novel and Light Novel Book Club discussion

Log Horizon, Vol. 1: The Beginning of Another World
This topic is about Log Horizon, Vol. 1
31 views
Light Novels > Log Horizon Vol. 1

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aly (new)

Aly When thirty thousand Japanese gamers are suddenly trapped in the online game world of "Elder Tale," a realm of swords and sorcery--that was, up until yesterday, very much a fantasy--is now their cold, hard reality. Severed from their everyday lives, they're faced with fighting monsters, eating food with no flavor, and being unable to die?! Amid the chaos in "Elder Tale" Akihabara, veteran gamer Shiroe locates his old friend Naotsugu and teams up with the beautiful female assassin Akatsuki. Together they embark on an adventure to change the world as they know it!

Discuss Log Horizon, Vol. 1 here!


message 2: by Aly (new)

Aly Amazon gave me release day delivery and wow is this book gorgeous. There's a lot of attention to detail here. I'm only about 20 pages in because real life hasn't been giving me much time, but you can definitely see the differences between the anime and the light novel. Anyone else jumping into the light novel right away?


Selena (sailorstar165) | 1504 comments Mod
I'll probably pick it up next time I get to the bookstore. No time to read right now with school finishing up. ^^;;;


message 4: by Aaron (last edited Apr 26, 2015 07:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aaron Nagy | 76 comments In general the story feels like a YA Baen novel...ala Weber/Flint style or something and that's who I generally recommend this series too.


Brandon Varnell | 166 comments Mou... I want to get the LNs soon, but I don't know if I've got the money yet... ):


Kenchiin I actually read the unofficial translation a few weeks ago, and just purchased the official translation by Yen Press now it has been licensed.

If I were the author I'd have merged Volume 1 and 2 into one, because it works as a prologue to the main story.


message 7: by Selena (last edited May 04, 2015 01:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Selena (sailorstar165) | 1504 comments Mod
Kenchiin wrote: "If I were the author I'd have merged Volume 1 and 2 into one, because it works as a prologue to the main story. "

Sadly, that's not up to the author but to the publisher(s), and they're more inclined to release things as separate volumes than as omnibuses.


message 8: by Kenchiin (last edited May 04, 2015 01:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kenchiin Selena wrote: "Kenchiin wrote: "If I were the author I'd have merged Volume 1 and 2 into one, because it works as a prologue to the main story. "

Sadly, that's not up to the author but to the publisher(s), and ..."


Yup, I know. It's kinda sad. What is worse, it will take ages for the official translation to reach how much I have read D: I can't wait ;____;


Aaron Nagy | 76 comments Kenchiin wrote: "Selena wrote: "Kenchiin wrote: "If I were the author I'd have merged Volume 1 and 2 into one, because it works as a prologue to the main story. "

Sadly, that's not up to the author but to the pub..."


Hey it's just 2 years to be current (book 7). It's not like the horror Index fans are going though.


Kenchiin And two years worth it :) hopefully the anime adapation will boost the sales as well outside Japan so we will have Log Horizon for everyone


Kenchiin I received my copy last week. It has a wonderful poster with the main characters on it ;___;

So proud.


Selena (sailorstar165) | 1504 comments Mod
I just ordered it from Amazon. So looking forward to it coming in. :)


Allison | 125 comments I got my copy of this a couple weeks ago and intend to start it this weekend. I'm wowed by the print quality of it, too. I have all my Yen Press novels on the same shelf, and it just looks so much classier than the rest of them. Plus, the matte cover stock is just so spiffy.


Kenchiin Yes it does! It looks somehow different :3


Selena (sailorstar165) | 1504 comments Mod
Matte cover is definitely spiffy. :3 I just got mine, but I'll probably hold off until we do a group read. Too much to read already, so little time to do it lol


Allison | 125 comments I forgot to post soon after reading it, but I actually really enjoyed this book. It felt more personal than a lot of LNs that I've read- like character really was more important than plot- and I thought the illustrations were really lovely, too.


Selena (sailorstar165) | 1504 comments Mod
Allison wrote: "It felt more personal than a lot of LNs that I've read- like character really was more important than plot- and I thought the illustrations were really lovely, too."

Yeah, Log Horizon's anime struck me as more character-driven than most, so I'm guessing the LNs are also like that. Most LNs tend to have a larger focus on the characters than YA novels in general, but I get the feeling Log Horizon focuses on them even more so.


Allison | 125 comments Selena wrote: "Most LNs tend to have a larger focus on the characters than YA novels in general, but I get the feeling Log Horizon focuses on them even more so. "

That's a better way of putting it than I'd had. Though there is adventure in this book, the way it was written, it would have been just as satisfying if the characters had all just hung out in a guildhall, talking about life. I really appreciated that aspect of it.


Heather (aurone) | 2 comments I love the Log Horizon Anime. It has such great characters. I read the light novel when it came out and loved it. It had the extra thoughts and details that I was waiting for.


message 20: by Aaron (last edited Nov 02, 2015 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aaron Nagy | 76 comments If people are looking for more books in this style. I do recommend David Weber, more specifically start with Off Armageddon Reef. Other series by that publishing house like 1632 are also in a similar vein. Others like The Goblin Emperor might be good too as in terms of court politics in fantasy world. If you are looking for a more strictly stuck in MMO try out AlterWorld, it's a Russian novel directly inspired by the Korean litRPG scene.

But I'm actually a big fan of this series overall as it tries to focus a lot more on the weird politics of it becoming real life and powerplays rather then GRINDING LEVELS.


Selena (sailorstar165) | 1504 comments Mod
Aaron wrote: "But I'm actually a big fan of this series overall as it tries to focus a lot more on the weird politics of it becoming real life and powerplays rather then GRINDING LEVELS."

(Still have only seen the anime)

Agreed. That's part of what I like so much about the series over SAO. That, and the characters are more my cup of tea. :3


Aaron Nagy | 76 comments Selena wrote: "Aaron wrote: "But I'm actually a big fan of this series overall as it tries to focus a lot more on the weird politics of it becoming real life and powerplays rather then GRINDING LEVELS."

(Still h..."


They get compared a lot because they are both VRMMO things, but they are very different in plot and structure. SAO is not a grinding levels VRMMO and is actually more of just a typical fantasy novel.


back to top