ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴏʏᴀʟ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴏɴ - advanced roleplay discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ᴀʀᴄʜɪᴠᴇᴅ ʙᴇᴅʀᴏᴏᴍ ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅs > Roleplay - Devon Paxton Beckett's Room (Guard)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sυммer Rαιɴ || Wrιтιɴɢ ιѕ α cαllιɴɢ, ɴoт α cнoιce.  (SummerRain15)

Compared to most servant rooms, Devon's is incredibly plain. But for a boy who grew up on the streets, even having a bed to lay in was luxury. He convinced himself that if he were to lay in a luxurious room, it'd be too much, he wouldn't be worthy of it. So he selected the smallest, plainest room they had. Keeping it dull, there's just a twin bed, a small light, one small window, and a sink for whatever reason. He has a small cabinet filled with his minimal person belongings. There are few things he cares for, himself.

However, he has scrapbooks. Pictures he's found of certain places he's been in his travels, pictures of places he wants to go. One page is dedicated to pictures of the royal palace, entitled 'My First Home'. Because that's how he feels. The palace took in a homeless boy, it's his sanctuary. There's one page with a couple of worn out pictures of a woman with frizzy, dusty brown hair and dark eyes, torn clothing, and an older picture with her in designer jeans and a tank top, her frizzy hair done up in a braided design, her body clean and her smile radiant. That page is dedicated to his mother, with the one picture being before she became an eight and had him. He doesn't have many pictures of her, but the ones he does, he cherishes. Even one picture of her with a little Devon sitting on her lap, with a big smile, despite both of them being dirty and painfully thin looking. Most recently there's been a new page created. A snippet of wildflowers dried to the page with a caption 'Flowers from me to her' and then a picture of her favorite cupcakes beside it, 'Her favorite sweet'. And then there's a large portion of the page that is blank, awaiting pictures. At the top of the page it's entitled 'Fern and Devon', ready for their future together to be documented.

Sυммer Rαιɴ || Wrιтιɴɢ ιѕ α cαllιɴɢ, ɴoт α cнoιce.  (SummerRain15) Devon was a mess. He kept thinking over everything he said, and unlike Fern, he wasn't calming down easily. After he stopped crying, he'd visited her room with gifts. And after that, he returned to his room, where he was now. He paced the room, trying to find something to occupy the time. He'd run into Ryan Kavanaugh, a guard in his platoon, in the hallway on the way from Fern's room. Strangely, he'd been walking towards the diplomat's wing, though seeing Devon had stopped him and made him go a different direction. But not until he asked Devon to switch places with him and be the guard on duty for the Irish twin diplomats. So that was Devon's next job, though he had some time before going to check on the diplomats. So here he was. He sat on his bed, he flicked through his scrapbooks, even spending time making a page for Fern and him. Even though he ended things, part of him wanted them to have a future, even if it meant that page remaining blank and only having the very beginning of their could-have-been relationship. After that he paced. Or did push ups. Or cleaned the only window of his room, from the inside. Honestly, he was going a bit stir crazy, trying to keep busy enough not to think of her. Which was failing.

lil' Lily [ filled with DETERMINATION ] (runelily) May walked down to the gaurd's room, clipboard in hand. She had made a quick stop at her room to grab her clipboard, and in the short time it took to walk to Devon's room, which was listed, like every other room, she had confirmed that she had a serious lack of information on him. She'd have to make sure to keep closer tabs on the servants from now on. Who knew what other secrets they held? She stopped in front of Devon's bedroom, and gave her clipboard one last glance before flipping all the pages back down and holding it in one hand. May knocked on the door lightly, but didnt wait long to let herself in. She noted Devon going between various chores throughout his room, and quickly made a mental note to make a real note about that later. "Devon Beckett, newly recruited gaurd." She started, listing basically the only facts she had about him. "I'll be asking you questions, you'll be answering them." She said bluntly, and pulled out her clipboard, flipping over to Devon's page. "Age, and birth date." She said, more like a command then a question.

Sυммer Rαιɴ || Wrιтιɴɢ ιѕ α cαllιɴɢ, ɴoт α cнoιce.  (SummerRain15) Devon had been going through his dresser when May showed up, jumping and nervously closing his dresser when she entered, facing her. He hadn't met her, so he had no idea she was a maid, though she did wear the uniform, her words made her seem like a much more important official. He stood straight, saluting her. "M'am." He greeted tensely. For a young man, Devon was handsome. Tall and lithe, his body fit but slender, almost too much so, like he was under-nourished even though that was no longer the case. He wore black combat boots, black skinny jeans, and a black turtle neck sweater, standard dark guard clothes, though his weapons weren't in his holsters, set aside, as always whenever he was in his room. He was good looking with his tan skin, messy dark brown almost black hair, falling unruly and almost spiky. But the best part was his dark eyes, almost pitch black but not cold, actually holding warmth in them. It was no wonder why Fern liked him, on looks alone. But there was more to him than his looks, and Fern had seen that. May bewildered the young boy, maybe even frightened him just a little with her blunt attitude and her questions. "U-Uh yes m'am, that's me. What are these questions about? Is this a performance review?" Wow, his second day and already getting a review. He was clearly nervous. Before answering, he went over to grab a chair, pulling it out from a nearby little table. "Please sit, miss." He said graciously, being hospitable and making sure she was situated before he sat on his bed. The scrapbook that had Fern's page was on the table he'd pulled the chair from, open to the 'Devon and Fern' page. He hoped she wouldn't see it, but of course she would. "Um I'm seventeen, and my birthday is November 13th." He answered honestly, having no reason not to. So he was four years older than Fern, given that she was turning 13 soon. However, being that his birthday was in November, only two months away, he'd be 18 soon. So four-five years age difference between the two. But there as a youngness to Devon, somehow, like he didn't seem to be 17 even though he looked it.

lil' Lily [ filled with DETERMINATION ] (runelily) May nodded, scribbling furiously in her clipboard from the second she entered the room, taking notes of everything, from the upkeep of the room to a detailed desription of Devon. She nodded, though she was still looking down at her clipboard, when Devon saluted. She didn't even glance up at Devon as he asked his questions. There was far too much that needed to be written down to waste time on eye contact, although May was listening to him, and in fact was a litte surprised he didn't ask who she was, not that she really cared much. "Personal hobby." Was all the explanation May gave about why she was here, at least for now. She sat down on the chair Devon provided without even looking up from her clipboard. Upon hearing his age and birthday, May scribbled it down first, but took a moment to aknowledge the age difference between him and Fern. It was considerable, for certain, but she wouldn't judge him quite yet. That came later. May put her clipboard and pen down on her lap, and stretched her fingers, giving them a quick rest. She quickly pushed back all her loose hair from her face, and turned her gaze towards the scrapbook on Devon's desk. This time, she merely made a mental note rather then writing it down, as her fingers required a small break in order to work with their normal efficiency. She looked at Devon now, the first time she had made eye contact. "Previous caste and city." May asked, ready to pick up her clipboard the second he replied. In fact, as long as he didn't know who she was, she could ask several questions without fear of getting a lie, although he was bound to figure out sooner or later.

Sυммer Rαιɴ || Wrιтιɴɢ ιѕ α cαllιɴɢ, ɴoт α cнoιce.  (SummerRain15) Devon stared at her with those dark eyes, fidgeting from where he sat. This girl had some purpose driving her to be here and question him with such tenacity, and honestly it was just a bit intimidating. Twiddling his thumbs, a habit of his when nervous, he thought over her questions. Hobbies? He thought, panic hitting him. He really didn't have any. When he lived as an eight, he didn't have the time or the money. It was all about survival. He wasn't a child who played or had shiny trinkets or collections, he was a scavenger and pickpocket who went to bed hungry most nights. Even thinking about hobbies was foreign to him. "Um... W-Well I enjoy my job. But I don't think I have a hobby... I like collecting pictures and things and putting them in books, but I've never gotten ahold of a camera so I don't think that falls under photography. I'm sure there's a lot to do around the palace, but I keep busy with my job..." He sounded pained, like he thought he was giving a wrong answer on a test, blinking at her to see if she'd give him any indication that he'd answered wrong. And she was writing. But what is she writing? He wondered, skittish almost. At her next question, he answered much easier. "I don't know where I was born and I traveled a lot, but my last... home..." if you could call it a home. "Was in the Yukon hills, just past Entennmont." The city of Entennmont was more like a village, actually, completely tiny and barely on the map. (made it up). "As for caste... I was an Eight, m'am." He answered, and for the first time he didn't look nervous. He held his head up, unashamed. Sure, inside he was a wreck, worried that she would judge him for his low caste, but he wasn't afraid to admit how he grew up. But it was a shocking answer, as not many eights ever worked for the palace. Eights were untouchables, they were mostly sick and unable to work, and there were mostly older people and runaway kids. To be a kid born into the eighth caste was rare and horribly unlucky, but it happened sometimes, like those who got pregnant out of wedlock were turned into eights. Someone must have really noticed Devon's skill if he managed to get a guard position, as eights weren't even part of the drafting system. And then he must have continued to prove his skill, because only the best and brightest from the academy became palace guards.

lil' Lily [ filled with DETERMINATION ] (runelily) "Scrapbooking, got it." She murmured, not looking up from her clipboard. Now May began to take notes on his character, or at least what she could make of it. He seemed pretty easily intimidated, but then, alot of people were intimidated by May, so she stuck a question mark at the end. He was polite enough, so May put that down as well. Surprisingly enough, Devon seemed quite innocent for a young man. After all, there was a young woman in his bedroom and thus far he had been quite kind. She noted that, and underlined it too, for emphasis on his innocence. But the next part was what caught her attention. Not his last home, which she did write down, but his previous caste. An eight? May raised her eyebrows a bit, and looked up at Devon. "Interesting." Was all she said, although there was no mocking tone in her voice, or dissaproving look in her eyes. If anything, May resoected him a little more now. To become a palace gaurd as an 8, well, it was uncommon to say the least. Finally, May decided to get to the questions she had meant to ask from the beginning. Replacing her clipboard under her arm, she stared directly at Devon, her face completely serious. "Do you love Fern Singer?"

Sυммer Rαιɴ || Wrιтιɴɢ ιѕ α cαllιɴɢ, ɴoт α cнoιce.  (SummerRain15) Devon could feel his blood run cold. In normal circumstances he might have jumped up and ran from the room, or fallen off his bed in shock. But not to that question. No, that question didn't make him nervous. Dreading the answer, maybe, but not nervous. Now it made sense, this maid interrogating him must have been Fern's maid. Devon was quiet for a moment, trying to sort out his own feelings. Did he love Fern? Was it possible to love her so soon? It felt like he'd known her forever, despite the inevitable fact they barely knew each other. She was so young... and he had been through so much, he didn't want her to share his burden. He didn't want her to cry for him, he wanted her to smile, always. It wasn't right for him to love her. He didn't deserve love with a girl as sweet and beautiful as Fern. But love wasn't always black and white. Sometimes it was immensely more complicated. Sometimes it wasn't right, in most senses. And how did he even know what love was? He had never felt love before. Before Fern, he'd never, willingly kissed anyone. He'd never been on a date or held someone's hand or searched for someone in a room above all others. He'd never had his heart beat like it did when he was around Fern. He'd had a fast heartbeat out of fear, or adrenaline, or even rage... but love? It was an entirely different feeling. Sitting on the edge of his bed, his hands grip the sheets, his head down, eyes focused on the floor as he thought about all this. He had gone to Fern when Eva had yelled at him, immediately, without even thinking of going to anyone else. He had waited for her during the dinner, despite it being his night off duty, taking the extra shift just to be there beside her. And he had been unable to think of little else than Fern since... since he broke her heart...

If he were to think of the word love, it was Fern he saw. Slowly, Devon looked up at May, a small little smile on his lips. He gave the briefest of nods, saying quietly. "Yes, m'am, I do... I do love Fern Singer, with all my heart."

lil' Lily [ filled with DETERMINATION ] (runelily) May noted the conflict on his face, though now she was making mental notes instead of written ones. Was his feelings towards Fern uncertain? No, that couldnt be, the way Fern spoke of him, surely he hadnt been putting on an act. Besides, he seemed like a pretty decent guy, certainly not one to take advantage of a 12-year-old. May wondered what being in love felt like. Was it like love that was shared between family members? Was it even stronger? It seemed like something so sought after would have to be stronger than love you could recieve from your family. No, it would have to be much harder to find than that. May quickly composed her thoughts however when Devon replied, his answer certain and firm. Good. As long as May was sure they both loved each other, she was also certain they'd find a way to be together again. A small, pleased smile creeped its way onto May's lips, and she stood up. "Thank you for your time, sir. Good day." She gave a tiny curtsy before walking to the door, but stopped right before she opened it. "Follow your heart, and it will never lead you astray." May said quietly, before slipping out the door and closing it gently behind her.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴏʏᴀʟ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴏɴ - advanced roleplay

unread topics | mark unread