Morales 2341 Spring 2015 Class TTH discussion

Race, Class, and Culture > More O'Connor- Revelation

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lillian (new)

Lillian Morales (LillianMorales) | 41 comments Mod
What are the similarities between "A Good Man is Hard to Find" and "Revelations?" What do we learn about O"Conner as writer through these 2 stories?

I will extend the deadline until Friday 4/24.

message 2: by Gilbert (new)

Gilbert Salinas (GilbertAngelo) | 47 comments The main similarities in the stories “A Good Man is Hard to Find” and “Revelations” is the involvement of spiritual/religious influences, racial profanity, and class distinction that lead to a realization for both main characters in each story. In “A Good Man is Hard to Find” the grandmother finds inner peace as she accepts her death sentence from the misfit, while looking up to the sky as if she was about to make her journey to haven. In the corresponding story “Revelations”, the main character Mrs.Turpin had a spiritual/religious awakening at the end of the story when she has a vision of people descending to haven and she begins to hear voices as the sun sets behind the woods around her house. Both of the main characters find a realization at the end of their stories and both of the characters only realized their flaws by means of violence or insult. Flannery O’Conner’s style of writing comes from her own ideals and the time she grew up in, it’s evident in both stories.

message 3: by Maria (last edited Apr 23, 2015 12:22PM) (new)

Maria Garcia | 57 comments The similarities between these two stories are that these to women the grandma and Mrs. Turpin are very out spoken people. at the end of the stories they both find peace with God. They both thing that they are superior to everyone else.They like to be in command, just to give orders. Both well dressed from there time. They both make racial comments and look down to people who have less. The grandma was killed at the end by the misfits and Mrs. Turpin got chocked and got a book thrown at her by Mary Grace. I guess it was kind of an eye opener to both, God is not judgmental he loves everyone good or bad no matter how they treat other people.

message 4: by Gilbert (new)

Gilbert Salinas (GilbertAngelo) | 47 comments Maria wrote: "The similarities between these two stories are that these to women the grandma and Mrs. Turpin are very out spoken people. at the end of the stories they both find peace with God. They both thing t..."

Yes i agree the two women are similar i those ways, but who knows how god really is?

message 5: by Erick (new)

Erick Adrian  Lopez | 55 comments On both stories me meet two old ladies, with are very much alike. They both behave the same; they felt superior and apart from the rest. It all come to that one sentence of what “being a lady “is, but it seem that both have a wrong prospective of what it really means. Both just pretend to be perfect and rich somehow. It is clear that they don’t see themselves as poor ladies. They both dress nice and dislike others people clothing. Also, they both share the idea of having a “good man”. For them, the ideal “good man” is a wealthy man who is able to provide them a good life. Another similarity is that both are concern about being judge by God, they both fear him. They will not go to hell, because they are respected and higher social class ladies. Lastly, they both want to have control over others, but they fail in the attempt since everyone seems to ignore them. At the end both ladies seem to get what they deserved, being hit by someone much more capable and superior (in some way) to them.

message 6: by Erick (new)

Erick Adrian  Lopez | 55 comments Maria wrote: "The similarities between these two stories are that these to women the grandma and Mrs. Turpin are very out spoken people. at the end of the stories they both find peace with God. They both thing t..."

It is true that both at some point want to change their attitude towards their inferiors, but i thing that it was too late for the grandma to actually change her life. She probably the one that ended up being in hell.

message 7: by Eric (new)

Eric | 75 comments By Eric De Leon
There a few recurring themes in Flannery O’ Connor’s “A Good man is Hard to Find” and “Revelations.’ They first recurring theme is the setting. Both stories take place in the south in or around the 1950’s maybe 1960’s. One thing that is a lot easier to discern are the general attitudes of the people in the region. Both stories feature female protagonists that have racist views. “Grandma” in “A Good Man is Hard to Find” is somewhat more benign than her counterpart Eliza, in “Revelations.” Eliza, while in public, portrayed herself as having a progressive attitude towards black people even saying, “There’s a heap of things worse than a nigger…It’s all kinds of them like it’s all kinds of us.” Eliza fails to see how ironic her ‘progressive’ statement truly is; what it actually succeeds in doing is showcasing her backwards thinking in all its glory. This illuminates another thing that makes O’Conner’s writing stand out in both stories; she clearly has a dark sense of humor. Both stories also share a religious component. This recurring theme probably reveals more of O’ Connor, herself devoutly religious, than does anything else. Both stories feature flawed female protagonists that claim a strong religious devotion. Faith becomes the single most relevant aspect of both their lives as hardship (in grandma’s case, death) leads them to a crisis point in which they come in direct contact with the divine.

message 8: by Jesus (new)

Jesus Medina | 37 comments The similarities in the stories “A good man is hard to find” and “Revelations” is that they both are racial and religious. In “A good man is hard to find” the grandmother is the one that always puts labels the black people. It’s not that she is totally racists but at this time they were getting used to black people being considered humans not just a piece of property. In the end of the story she realizes that she is going to be killed and looks up to the sky and because he is thinks she is going to heaven. In “revelation” I think Mrs. Turpin is worse than the grandmother of
‘A good man is hard to find” she puts a class on everyone white or black. She thinks that not very many people are above her. She is also getting used to the idea that black people are human beings and that they need to be treated as such. Towards the end of the story she realizes that she has been doing wrong. Both needed an act of violence to see what that were doing wrong.

message 9: by Jesus (new)

Jesus Medina | 37 comments Gilbert wrote: "The main similarities in the stories “A Good Man is Hard to Find” and “Revelations” is the involvement of spiritual/religious influences, racial profanity, and class distinction that lead to a real..."

I agree with the similarities between the two stories. I think that Mrs. Turpin was much worse than the grandmother.

message 10: by Jesus (new)

Jesus Medina | 37 comments Maria wrote: "The similarities between these two stories are that these to women the grandma and Mrs. Turpin are very out spoken people. at the end of the stories they both find peace with God. They both thing t..."

I agree with you they were both very judgmental ladies that looked down on people. they both got what they deserved.

message 11: by Arlette.Cortez (new)

Arlette.Cortez | 72 comments Some similarities I saw between "A Good Man is Hard to Find" and "Revelations," were that they both had a lot of symbolism and they both touch on the religious subject. For example, in the short story "A Good Man is Hard to Find" the grandma and the misfit start to have a conversation about God before the misfit kills her and in the short story "Revelations” Mrs.Turpin and Mary Grace start talking about God as well. Another similarity I say between this two stories was the comparison between the grandmother in A Good Man is Hard to Find" and Mrs.Turpin in the short story "Revelations” because they both think they are superior to everybody else, they always think they’re right, and because they both think they are good Christians which they are not. Something I have learn about O"Conner as writer through these two stories is that she is a religious person.

message 12: by Alexa (new)

Alexa Trevino | 37 comments Flannery O’Conner’s stories were both entertaining and shocking to read, but many other similarities can be found in her writings. One big similarity I noticed in both these stories is that both protagonists are extremely proper superficial older women, both also happen to be very religious characters like Flannery herself, which ends up having a big influence on the outcome of both stories when both characters experience a religious awakening of some sort. She likes to present the darkness of human nature and points out the fact that although these characters may think they’re a good person on the right path, they are anything but. Their husbands on the other hand have very little dialog involved. Another interesting similarity I found in both was that the characters are all “bad” in their own way, she doesn’t give the reader a person that’s necessarily “right” or someone to root for throughout the stories, instead she offers almost a moral puzzle to dwell on after reading such a twisted brief ending.

message 13: by Jaqueline (new)

Jaqueline Chapa | 71 comments There are a few quite obvious similarities shared between Flannery O'Connor's "A Good Man is Hard to Find" and "Revelation." The first similarity is in the characters, Mrs. Turpin in "Revelation" and the grandmother in "A Good Man is Hard to Find." Both are "proper" white women who believe they are more righteous than most. Mrs. Turpin repeatedly thanks Jesus for making her such a good, nice person while the grandmother in "Revelation" constantly makes remarks about how good people are hard to find and implying she's one of the few good people around. The second similarity is the dark and violent themes in both stories. Both stories start out light and comical but then take a dark turn. In "Revelation," Mrs. Turpin is attacked by the ugly girl, as described by Mrs. Turpin herself, and tries to choke her, then calls her a "wart hog from hell." In "A Good Man is Hard to Find," when the grandmother's family gets into an accident, they are found by the Misfit, who kills the entire family including the grandmother. Neither of these events could have been foreseen by the readers. A third similarity is that of religion and judgment. Both women are religious and are constantly judging those around them. Ironically, they both had judgment brought upon them by other characters in the stories; in "A Good Man is Hard to Find," the Misfit placed judgment on the grandmother, while in "Revelation," the ugly girl placed judgment on Mrs. Turpin. I believe O'Connor, a religious woman herself, intended to call out those who have the wrong idea of what it is to be righteous.

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Perez | 72 comments "A Good Man is Hard to Find" and "Revelation" by Flannery O'Connor have some similarities throughout their story's. For instance, both protagonist Mrs. Turpin and the grandmother feel superior or above all the other characters in their stories. They believe that being dressed proper should matter and having manners is very important in the South. Secondly, in both setting we realize that race or the African Americans have been given their rights to freedom. Mrs. Turpin and the grandmother constantly use racial slurs among their people, which signifies they have not adjusted to the change in America. Lastly, both females have a religious awakening or revelation at the end of the stories. In "A Good Man is Hard to Find" the grandmother accepts god when she is about to be killed by the misfit. While in "Revelation" Mrs. Turpin gets hit by a book and called "wart hog from hell" by Mary Grace and realizes that she is no better than anyone if she is judging everyone except her sins. I believe, Flannery O'Connor is trying to let the world no especially those in religion that they are not better than anyone else. We all are sinners and should not portray that we are better than everyone else because we go to church. She uses peoples true darkness to give people the imagery that there is darkness in those who think they are good or even in the world.

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Perez | 72 comments Arlette.Cortez wrote: "Some similarities I saw between "A Good Man is Hard to Find" and "Revelations," were that they both had a lot of symbolism and they both touch on the religious subject. For example, in the short st..."

Arlette, both stories have a lot of similarities. They show us religion, race, status of class, and most importantly evil. Flannery O'Connor just wants us to realize that there is bad in everyone, even those that are religious.

message 16: by ChristinaMarie (new)

ChristinaMarie Kiesert | 59 comments Something I learned about O’conner as a writer in these two stories is that she has a religious background and wants to prove to the readers that there is no such thing as a good person because even those who are supposedly Christians or whatever, still sin and make bad choices.Those people I consider fake because they claim to be someone they are not. At the end of each story, it teaches both of the women that they are no better than anyone else and that God sees everyone equally. It doesn’t matter if you dress appropriately or have well manners, the fact that these two women judge, discriminate and feel better about themselves places them in the area where they aren’t good people. Both Mrs. Turpin and the grandmother look down at others as if they were nothing compared to them, thinking they are the ones above anyone. For example in the story, “A Good Man is Hard to Find”, the grandmother demonstrates discrimination by pointing out a black boy. “Oh look at the cute little pickaninny! She said pointing to a negro child standing at the door of a shack. …. Little niggers in the country don’t have things like we do.”

message 17: by Janetrendon (new)

Janetrendon | 70 comments In “A Good Man IS Hard to Find”, by Flannery O’ Conner, it is a story about a enthusiastic very well dressed in a vibrant ensemble old lady excited a road trip, and wanting to impress those around her as far as her grand children anyways. In “A Good Man Is Hard to Find”, the grandmother was very much concerned with an escapee, “the Misfit”. When the grandmother was trying to impress her family, telling them a story causing them to take a wrong turn and crash altogether, the grandmother and her family comes face to face with this misfit. The grandmother was very much religious and referred to God and Jesus in this story. The story “Revelation” also by Flannery O’Conner , this story took place in a doctors waiting room , the main character here was a lady also very well dressed , went by the name of Ruby Turpin, she was a judgmental know it all , Im the best that there is lady, she sat and discriminated against everyone in the office until a young lady got sick and tired of it and knocked her head with a book, and gave her what seemed to be a rude awakening! In these two stories the similarities to me are it talks about two women who have a strong connection with their religion and read into it too much. Upon reading O’Conner’s work I come to conclude she too was very religious and in fact lived in a small town. It seems that O’ Conner was very detailed about appearances, considering how b9oth women are dressed like “ladies”. O’Conner opened up my mind a bit on these stories she was an intellectual individual, her work literally speaks for itself, each character the way the enemies in the story played a key role with the main character speaking to them and so forth.

message 18: by Janetrendon (new)

Janetrendon | 70 comments Erick wrote: "On both stories me meet two old ladies, with are very much alike. They both behave the same; they felt superior and apart from the rest. It all come to that one sentence of what “being a lady “is,..."
I like how you compared both stories, yes I have to agree with you on that , both ladies in the story are from a huiger class and dress well. Being that they were both ladies that believed oh so much in God and had money they thought they were better but that is not the case after reading the stories from beginning to end.

message 19: by Ricardo (new)

Ricardo Mendez | 63 comments The Similarities between “A Good Man Is Hard To Find” and “Revelation” are the disposition of the main character, the religious theme, changing times. In the both stories the main character have similar dispositions. The Grandmother in “A Good Man Is Hard To Find” is very proud of being a lady with manners and living a proper life and Mrs Turpin in revelation is very proud of her social status but more importantly of her living a good christian life. Both characters are proud and feel superior to others. They both feel that times are changing. In “A Good Man Is Hard to Find”, The Grandmother feels that manners and morals are changing and in “Revelation” Mrs. Turpin feels the African American’s social status are changing and because of it do not want to work anymore. Both stories have a religious theme and the main character’s have some sort of religious experience in the end. Mrs Turpin's has a revelation or vision at the end of “Revelation” and The Grandmother in “A Good Man Is Hard To Find” has a moment where she feels she redeemed by God before she is killed by the Misfit. The Thing that I learned most about O’Connor is not that she was condemning these people but pointing out their flawed characteristics to show that god still redeems them even though they are flawed.

message 20: by Ricardo (new)

Ricardo Mendez | 63 comments Maria wrote: "The similarities between these two stories are that these to women the grandma and Mrs. Turpin are very out spoken people. at the end of the stories they both find peace with God. They both thing t..."

Hey Maria, what I found most enjoyable about both O'Connor's short stories is the main character's themselves. I feel that their flaws is what makes them so interesting.

message 21: by Ricardo (new)

Ricardo Mendez | 63 comments Janetrendon wrote: "In “A Good Man IS Hard to Find”, by Flannery O’ Conner, it is a story about a enthusiastic very well dressed in a vibrant ensemble old lady excited a road trip, and wanting to impress those around ..."

Hey Janet, you mentioned that O'Connor was very detailed about the characters manner of dress in both stories. It is very interesting how much you can get from the characters from their manner of dress.

message 22: by Gilbert (last edited Apr 24, 2015 07:50PM) (new)

Gilbert Salinas (GilbertAngelo) | 47 comments Eric wrote: "By Eric De Leon
There a few recurring themes in Flannery O’ Connor’s “A Good man is Hard to Find” and “Revelations.’ They first recurring theme is the setting. Both stories take place in the south ..."

I agree Flannery O'Connor has a dark sense of humor and i love it! i don't like the racism but i love the violence and what it leads to in her stories.

message 23: by Jesus M (new)

Jesus M Manzanares | 64 comments The similarities between both shorts stories “A Goodman is hard to find” and “Revelations” which were written by Flannery O’ Connor is that in both of her stories she uses old character one of them dresses as a rich lady and the other one acts like a rich lady. In the short story “A Goodman is hard to Find” Flannery O’ Connor uses the grandmother as the character who was different from the rest of the family, thus making her stand out in the story and in the story “Revelations” she uses Mrs. Turpin who says hurtful things to people as her main character in this story. In the story “A Goodman is Hard to Find” the grandmother has on a "navy blue straw sailor hat with a bunch of violets on the brim... a navy blue dress with a small dot in the print. Her collars and cuffs were white organdy trimmed with lace... purple spray of cloth violets containing a sachet... white cotton gloves" the grandmother dressed like an old rich lady by the way that she is being described in the story. In the story of “Revelations” Mrs. Turpin says to the pleasant lady "we got a couple of acres of cotton and a few hogs and chickens and just enough white-face that claud can look after them himself” she is showing off all the things she has to the other lady. At the end both of the stories had an unexpected ending.

message 24: by Jesus M (new)

Jesus M Manzanares | 64 comments Jaqueline wrote: "There are a few quite obvious similarities shared between Flannery O'Connor's "A Good Man is Hard to Find" and "Revelation." The first similarity is in the characters, Mrs. Turpin in "Revelation" a..."

hi Jaqueline, I agree with you because in both of the stories O' Connor included a white lady. The stories had an unexpected twist that made both of the stories interesting because it was something that wasn't expected.

message 25: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Gonzalez | 25 comments In "A Good Man is Hard to Find" and "Revelations", the most obvious similarity would be in the theme. Both of these stories contain themes of grace, redemption, and salvation. These two stories contain characters who have epiphanies, as well. Mrs. Turpin receives her realization about grace and salvation through Mary Grace; whereas, the grandmother in "A Good Man is Hard to Find" receives her realization about grace and salvation through the Misfit. Another similarity would be the two main characters (Mrs. Turpin and the grandmother). They both are very judgmental and think they are above everyone. We learn that Flannery O'Conner is very much into writing about religion, grace, redemption, and salvation.

message 26: by Eric (new)

Eric | 75 comments Gilbert wrote: "The main similarities in the stories “A Good Man is Hard to Find” and “Revelations” is the involvement of spiritual/religious influences, racial profanity, and class distinction that lead to a real..."
Hello Gilbert. I still have trouble accepting that grandma from "A Good Man is Hard to Find" somehow found redemption before death. I guess I'll remain an outlier regarding this. It was a little easier to see how Eliza has spiritual revelation although I found it just as jarring as the unexpected violence in her stories.

message 27: by Eric (new)

Eric | 75 comments Jaqueline wrote: "There are a few quite obvious similarities shared between Flannery O'Connor's "A Good Man is Hard to Find" and "Revelation." The first similarity is in the characters, Mrs. Turpin in "Revelation" a..."
Hello Jaqueline, both women certainly have judgement cast upon them harshly. While it seems like most would agree that after the judgement there was some sort of spiritual revelation I'm still not so sure. I will accept that O'Connor's intent was to infer an awakening of some sort, but also recognize, that the reader is in fact inferring this, as this was not stated explicitly by O'Connor. Also, O'Connor did not write in any type of character development describing even an inkling of change prior to or even during these revelations. I may sound like I'm casting harsh judgement on O'Connor but the truth is I loved both her stories.

message 28: by Miguel (new)

Miguel | 42 comments The main characters in the stories "Revelations" and "A Good Man is Hard to Find" is the main similarity between these two stories. Both of the main characters are ladies with religious beliefs and think of themselves as superior. Both of the ladies believe they have morals and consider themselves as good people while other characters in the stories think the opposite. "She would have been a good women, if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life." The misfit was considered the antagonist in the story "A Good Man is hard to Find" but in this quote the reason he killed the lady was because he thought she was bad and the only way of her being good is if she was at risk of dying all her life. "Go back to hell where you came from, you old wart dog." These words were told to the main character, Mrs. Turpin, by the girl who she thought was ugly. The girl was hearing Mrs. Turpin's conversation while she was reading a book and she was against everything she was saying and thought Mrs. Turpin was evil. Even tho Mrs. Turpin was religious and was thanking God for the person He made her into, the girl thought she was a bad person because of the way she expressed herself towards others. What I learned about O'Conner as a writer is that she believes that good can be evil just as evil can be good. In both stories the characters that consider themselves as good are considered bad by the antagonist while the antagonist is considered bad and does a bad action for a good cause.

message 29: by Janetrendon (last edited Apr 25, 2015 02:16PM) (new)

Janetrendon | 70 comments Jesus M wrote: "The similarities between both shorts stories “A Goodman is hard to find” and “Revelations” which were written by Flannery O’ Connor is that in both of her stories she uses old character one of them..."
I enjoyed reading your commentary about how O'Conner, and how she uses one women to dress rich and the other to act rich. She did infact use high class women for both these stories who had different characteristics to them.I also thought that each ending to each story had an unexpected ending.

message 30: by Jaqueline (new)

Jaqueline Chapa | 71 comments Jessica wrote: ""A Good Man is Hard to Find" and "Revelation" by Flannery O'Connor have some similarities throughout their story's. For instance, both protagonist Mrs. Turpin and the grandmother feel superior or a..."

Hello, Jessica. I also believe O'Connor was casting a light on the true nature of people. You mention that both women had a religious awakening and, while they were both given a revelation, I don't think we're given enough information to know whether these revelations made a change in them. In other words, I'm not sure they were truly awakened.

message 31: by Jaqueline (new)

Jaqueline Chapa | 71 comments Eric wrote: "By Eric De Leon
There a few recurring themes in Flannery O’ Connor’s “A Good man is Hard to Find” and “Revelations.’ They first recurring theme is the setting. Both stories take place in the south ..."

Hey, Eric. I think it's interesting that Mrs. Turpin and the grandmother are so similar. I feel like they would know each other and probably be good friends. But, like you said, the grandmother is definitely more benign. I do wonder, however, if there is a reason for making this kind of character female in both stories.

message 32: by ChristinaMarie (new)

ChristinaMarie Kiesert | 59 comments Jessica wrote: ""A Good Man is Hard to Find" and "Revelation" by Flannery O'Connor have some similarities throughout their story's. For instance, both protagonist Mrs. Turpin and the grandmother feel superior or a..."

Yes Jessica, I completely agree with you about both women thinking they are superior and above all. Also, they think that just by having manners and dressing well means they are good people and better than the rest, which I find ridiculous.

message 33: by ChristinaMarie (new)

ChristinaMarie Kiesert | 59 comments Miguel wrote: "The main characters in the stories "Revelations" and "A Good Man is Hard to Find" is the main similarity between these two stories. Both of the main characters are ladies with religious beliefs and..."

Yes Miguel, both women think they are very religious and that they are good. I'm glad the antagonists set them in their place like the misfit and the girl who choked Mrs. Turpin.

message 34: by Arlette.Cortez (new)

Arlette.Cortez | 72 comments ChristinaMarie wrote: "Something I learned about O’conner as a writer in these two stories is that she has a religious background and wants to prove to the readers that there is no such thing as a good person because eve..."

I totally agree with Christina, by reading this two stories I also learn that O’conner has a religious background and in her stories it shows how both Ms. Turpin and the grandmother are racist and real critics which shows that even though they are Christians they are still bad people. Just like you I also consider those kind of people fake because they pretend to be good when they are really not. I also like how you pointed out how at the end of both stories it teaches the reader how God sees everyone different which is a real good point that I forgot about.

message 35: by Arlette.Cortez (new)

Arlette.Cortez | 72 comments Janetrendon wrote: "In “A Good Man IS Hard to Find”, by Flannery O’ Conner, it is a story about a enthusiastic very well dressed in a vibrant ensemble old lady excited a road trip, and wanting to impress those around ..."

I agree with you Janet, one of the similarities in this two stories are the grandmother and Mrs. Trupin they both are very Christian and are too critical with others. They see everybody’s flaws expect themselves. I also agree with you when you say that O’Conner was too into her religious and I also think that she wrote this two stories to let her readers know that God see everybody equal no matter what race, class, culture you are.

message 36: by Yuri (new)

Yuri Sandoval | 64 comments In stories, “A Good Man is Hard to Find” and “Revelations” O’Connor writes some similarities. Both ladies the grandmother and Mrs. Turpin think superior of themselves, believing they are better than others. They judge everyone and are prejudice against Negroes. Both ladies care a lot about their appearance. The grandmother makes sure she is well dress “in case of an accident anyone seeing her dead on the highway” would know she was a lady. Mrs. Turpin ironically seems to pay attention to shoes thinking everyone is judge by the appearance of the shoes. There is violence in both stories. Mary Grace physically assaults Mrs. Turpin by throwing her a book and attempts to strangle her. As the grandmother, she and her family get murdered by the misfit and the other two men with him. O’Connor mentions religious implications on both stories. For example, the Misfit in the story, “A Good Man Is Hard To Find,” states that Jesus upset the course of things by raising the dead. The story, “Revelation” Mrs. Turpin thinks that the statement Mary tells her after throwing the book at her is probably a sign realizing that the way she formerly viewed God was distorted and wrong. In both of O’Connor stories, Christian people are often overly proud of their faith, and are generally hypocritical.

message 37: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 60 comments I believe the main similarities "A Good Man is Hard to Find" and "Revelation" is the how the grandmother and Mrs. Turpin are. They are both described as if they are superior to everyone else. The grandmother in "A Good Man is Hard to Find" dresses really nice with some gloves when they are heading the road, I mean who does that? As it's said in the story, she is dressed like that because if something happens to her she will be dressed good. In "Revelation" Mrs. Turpin not only dresses good but she has a lot of things in her mind, she criticizes everyone and talk bad about people that are not "her kind." At the end of both stories, something religious is added to it, or at least that's what we think.

message 38: by Maria (new)

Maria Garcia | 57 comments Jesus wrote: "The similarities in the stories “A good man is hard to find” and “Revelations” is that they both are racial and religious. In “A good man is hard to find” the grandmother is the one that always put..."
Hey Jesus I agree with you description of the two stories . Both stories were of racial and religion.Both women were judgmental towards other people that they believed that the were better than all the others.

message 39: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Perez | 72 comments Yuri wrote: "In stories, “A Good Man is Hard to Find” and “Revelations” O’Connor writes some similarities. Both ladies the grandmother and Mrs. Turpin think superior of themselves, believing they are better tha..."

Yuri, I agree with your analysis. Both stories use religion and their high standards of society.

message 40: by Yuri (new)

Yuri Sandoval | 64 comments Eric wrote: "By Eric De Leon

Eric D.L. I agree with you, both stories probably did reveal O’Connor herself who is devoutly religious. Good point too when you mentioned that the stories featured flawed female protagonist that claim a strong religious, devotion.

message 41: by Yuri (new)

Yuri Sandoval | 64 comments Jesus M wrote: "The similarities between both shorts stories “A Goodman is hard to find” and “Revelations” which were written by Flannery O’ Connor is that in both of her stories she uses old character one of them..."
Jesus M you are right in both of O’Connor’s stories she describes mostly the two older women. Both of them stand out from the story, she makes them look like they are more important because of the way they dress, act and represent themselves.