Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Comments on my cover?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian Foster (bwfoster78) | 191 comments I'm not a graphics guy, but, as an aspiring SPA, it's one of the hats I have to wear. I set my profile pic to the artist's proof for my book's cover (I got her permission to post it in order to solicit advice).

If you don't mind, take a look at it and share your thoughts.

If you're an artist, any thoughts on improving it?

Otherwise, what do you think about it?

Thanks.

Brian

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) To be honest, the image doesn't tell me one thing about the book. :-/ It feels very generic to me.

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma Jaye | 151 comments Even at that size, its a little tricky to work out what the image is. I think you need far more contrast between the hand and the flame. on a thumbnail which is what the majority of people will be seeing, I don't think it'll work as it is.
I like the concept.

message 4: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 491 comments The hand? I don't see a hand. I see a torch.
First, I love the font and the way the title is done. I don't think I can stay objective on this because I'm always attracted to cover with red, especially fire red, so I'll just go with what this tells me without knowing anything about the blurb.

The title itself tells me it will be a book about mages, thus, probably Fantasy. The torch could mean a dungeon or maybe for the kind of mages--Fire mages. Now, it's true that in a thumbnail, it's hard to see, but then again, most are (except maybe for those thousands of male torsos we see everywhere). ;)

Personally, I like it. I see the fire more as a symbol than anything else. The concept is simple yet attractive. The whole thing is elegant and professional looking. Yet, i'm no expert. All I can say is that I would probably pick up the book to read the blurb if I'd see it on a shelf.

message 5: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 491 comments Ok, and NOW, I saw the hand. I guess I was blind. (iPads are too small!) still, I even like it better now.

message 6: by Brian (new)

Brian Foster (bwfoster78) | 191 comments Sharon wrote: "To be honest, the image doesn't tell me one thing about the book. :-/ It feels very generic to me."

Sharon,

Understood.

At one point, my concept was to show characters in one of the scenes from the book, I'm not sure if this is a better choice or not. My thinking was that a single image would show up better as a thumbnail than three characters would.

I am kind of surprised that it feels generic, though. It was supposed to be a representation of the title: the hand gesturing a "rising up" kind of motion and the flames hopefully indicating mages.

Any thoughts on how to make it better?

Thanks.

Brian

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian Foster (bwfoster78) | 191 comments Emma wrote: "Even at that size, its a little tricky to work out what the image is. I think you need far more contrast between the hand and the flame. on a thumbnail which is what the majority of people will be ..."

Emma,

More contrast. Check.

That's something I can easily pass along to my artist.

Thanks!

Brian

message 8: by Brian (new)

Brian Foster (bwfoster78) | 191 comments G.G. wrote: "The hand? I don't see a hand. I see a torch.
First, I love the font and the way the title is done. I don't think I can stay objective on this because I'm always attracted to cover with red, especi..."

GG,

I think you got what I was trying to convey. I'm hoping that the title, along with the image, says, "Mages might be down, but they're rising. And whoever is on the other side should watch out 'cause there's about to be some conflict."

My biggest worry is actually the font. It kind of says "Harry Potter" to me (not that there's anything wrong with that!). It's just that, in my mind, I was more going for Wheel of Time. Might be best to stick with the HP thing, though.

Thanks for the comments.

Brian

message 9: by Dwayne (new)

Dwayne Fry | 349 comments Brian wrote: "I'm not a graphics guy, but, as an aspiring SPA, it's one of the hats I have to wear. I set my profile pic to the artist's proof for my book's cover (I got her permission to post it in order to so..."

Personally, I like it. It tells me it's a story about mages gaining power. I like that we can't really see flame in the mage's hand, yet, but there is smoke rising. The flame is coming.

I like covers that don't give a lot of story away, that are simple, clean and subtle.

The colors are fantastic.

message 10: by Brian (new)

Brian Foster (bwfoster78) | 191 comments Dwayne wrote: "Brian wrote: "I'm not a graphics guy, but, as an aspiring SPA, it's one of the hats I have to wear. I set my profile pic to the artist's proof for my book's cover (I got her permission to post it ..."

Dwayne,

Good deal. Thanks for the comments!

Brian

message 11: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 491 comments I don't think of Harry Potter when I see the font, but then again, I'm no Harry Potter fan. I haven't read the books. I do think of Jordan, Goodkind, Weiss & Hickman and the likes, which are all fantasy.
Harry Potter's font is more...may I say funky? The letters are crooked, uneven, while yours are cleaner. I see them as both different styles entirely. One more for YA while the other is more mature. If your goal is YA, then maybe it's not the right choice. If not, then it's perfect.

message 12: by Dwayne (new)

Dwayne Fry | 349 comments Just want to second what G.G. said. I don't think "Harry Potter" when I see the logo, I just think "fantasy".

message 13: by Brian (new)

Brian Foster (bwfoster78) | 191 comments GG and Dwayne,

Interesting.

When I said "Harry Potter," I was more using that as a stand-in for "young," I guess.

Looking at my hardbacks for Jordan and Goodkind, they used this kind of heavy block lettering. The one my artist chose seems more...whimsical instead of solid? Just comes across as younger to me.

Part of my problem is that I have no idea how to market this thing. In my mind, it's epic fantasy. If I'm being honest, I think that it skews a little younger than most classic epic fantasy. Think WoT if Jordan would have focused a little bit more on relationship drama.

Thanks again.

Brian

message 14: by Brian (new)

Brian Foster (bwfoster78) | 191 comments Cristine wrote: "I do think "Harry Potter" when I look at the image. I can't make out what the word in the title is "Rise of the …"—don't know if I can't read it or just don't know the word. I also agree that it do..."

Cristine,

Now that you've drawn my attention to it, "Mages" is kind of hard to read. The "M" is partially obscured by the tail of the "R" above it, and the "s" isn't very clear at all.

Thanks.

Brian

message 15: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 37 comments Brian wrote: "GG and Dwayne,

Interesting.

When I said "Harry Potter," I was more using that as a stand-in for "young," I guess.

Looking at my hardbacks for Jordan and Goodkind, they used this kind of heavy bl..."

The whole cover, font included says grown up book, not kids or young, definitly adult ;-)

message 16: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 37 comments I don't think mages is hard to read, my eyes were drawn to the word mages straight away & I thought ooh good wizards & proper mage battles. From the cover I would definitly pick it up, it catches your attention, I like it.

message 17: by Brian (new)

Brian Foster (bwfoster78) | 191 comments Nicola,

Great input. Thanks!

Brian

message 18: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 491 comments Nicola wrote: "I don't think mages is hard to read, my eyes were drawn to the word mages straight away & I thought ooh good wizards & proper mage battles. From the cover I would definitly pick it up, it catches y..."

I agree with Nicola. I have bad eyesight and I didn't have any problem reading the word 'mages'. In fact, I didn't have any problems reading any of the words, even the smaller ones 'of the', which should have been harder due to their smaller size. I used my iPad to shrink it the size of a thumbnail and I still could read it.

However, at the size of your icon, I'd be lying if I'd say I can read anything. :P (the image isn't as crisp to begin with so...)

message 19: by Brian (new)

Brian Foster (bwfoster78) | 191 comments GG,

I think that clicking on the icon takes you to my profile page, which displays the cover a lot bigger. Not sure if you did that or if you're just looking at it at the really tiny size...

The final version will be delivered to me with higher resolution, so it should be crisper.

I appreciate you looking at it :)

Thanks.

Brian

message 20: by Groovy (last edited Apr 23, 2015 01:29PM) (new)

Groovy Lee | 1 comments At first, I thought it was a torch too. But, when I went back to look at it, I see the hand. I think the cover is attractive; the coloring, the image--It got my attention.

Although, I don't know what the book is about by looking at the cover, (I kind of get the idea it's fantasy, right?)but, if I turn it over and read the blurb, then I'll know whether it's the type of book I'll read or not.

But the cover drew my attention, and that's what you want.

message 21: by G.G. (last edited Apr 23, 2015 01:36PM) (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 491 comments Brian wrote: "GG,

I think that clicking on the icon takes you to my profile page, which displays the cover a lot bigger. Not sure if you did that or if you're just looking at it at the really tiny size...

The..."

Yes, that's what I did, because quite honestly, the icon is too small, smaller than any thumbnails I can think of. From there I minimized the size of the large picture on my iPad and played with it until it would be about the size of the other covers and that's what I'm talking about. Even at that smaller size, your original picture was clear.

If I do the same with the icon, then I can't see a thing, but as you stated, the cover will be taken from a high resolution picture so I wouldn't be worried about it.

message 22: by Brian (new)

Brian Foster (bwfoster78) | 191 comments Groovy wrote: "At first, I thought it was a torch too. But, when I went back to look at it, I see the hand. I think the cover is attractive; the coloring, the image--It got my attention.

Although, I don't know ..."

Groovy,

That's exactly what I want!

The artist will be making the hand stand out a bit more from the flames.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Brian

message 23: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 1 comments I can't wait to see the finished cover. Be sure to show us.

message 24: by Brian (new)

Brian Foster (bwfoster78) | 191 comments Groovy wrote: "I can't wait to see the finished cover. Be sure to show us."

Definitely!

message 25: by Erik (new)

Erik | 14 comments I think it's great! No it doesn't tell me exactly what it's about, but the title and understated visual is appealing. I think it would actually make me pick it up and see what it's about. Nice!

message 26: by Brian (new)

Brian Foster (bwfoster78) | 191 comments Erik wrote: "I think it's great! No it doesn't tell me exactly what it's about, but the title and understated visual is appealing. I think it would actually make me pick it up and see what it's about. Nice!"

Fantastic!

Thanks.

message 27: by Brian (new)

Brian Foster (bwfoster78) | 191 comments The final version of my cover is now set as my profile photo.

Thanks so much to everyone for the comments!

Brian

message 28: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 491 comments Love it!

message 29: by Brian (new)

Brian Foster (bwfoster78) | 191 comments G.G. wrote: "Love it!"

Thanks!

message 30: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 1 comments That is so much better, Brian. I love it!!