Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVES > May BOTM: Terry Pratchett Nominations

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M.G. (last edited Apr 23, 2015 05:46AM) (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 728 comments Terry Pratchett

After Terry Pratchett's passing in March, Stephen requested that we feature one of his books as our BOTM. Here's the discussion thread from March: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Although Pratchett has been on my reading list for a long time, I haven't had a chance to read his books yet. Hoping you Pratchett fans out there can help us out! These are the books recommended so far (I've only included the first book in each series, but will include others if someone tells me they can be read as stand alones ) -- if you know of other kid-friendly Pratchett books, please nominate them! I'll put up the poll this weekend.

Only You Can Save Mankind
Truckers
The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Moore Hi M.G.

We could also include: Johnny and the Bomb and :Johnny and the Dead

The Johnny Maxwell book series are for middle graders of 10 years and up. They are all stand alone reads.

message 3: by M.G. (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 728 comments Will be sure to add them!

message 4: by Cora (new)

Cora Foerstner (corafoerstner) Dodger is excellent. It's a YA book, but very suitable for middle grades. I have a review here:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Dodger by Terry Pratchett

message 5: by Justine (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 304 comments I nominate Nation Nation by Terry Pratchett , an older MG book.

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine | 28 comments I nominate The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30) by Terry Pratchett

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Moore Yeh! Some great suggestions guys!

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine | 28 comments No bad choices on this list!

message 9: by Cora (last edited Apr 24, 2015 09:00AM) (new)

Cora Foerstner (corafoerstner) Justine wrote: "I nominate Nation Nation by Terry Pratchett, an older MG book."

Good one, Justine. Well, they are all good. It's hard to go wrong with Pratchett.

message 10: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen All of the Tiffany Aching books are good.

message 11: by M.G. (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 728 comments After looking at all these nominations, I see my to-read stack getting taller . . . .

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1662 comments Mod
Agree they are all good. Though I haven't read them all, I've yet to read a Pratchett book that wasn't enjoyable. Some have been better than others, but I've liked them all.

message 13: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Pett | 1350 comments Mod
M.G. wrote: "Terry Pratchett

After Terry Pratchett's passing in March, Stephen requested that we feature one of his books as our BOTM. Here's the discussion thread from March:..."

I know I don't often get a chance to jump in on BOTM reads, but I bought The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents recently, and really hope you pick this one!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.