Promoting Picture Books discussion

HI and Introduce yourself!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gia (new)

Gia Saulnier (giazzpet) | 72 comments Mod
I'll start this thread with a bit about myself - and yes, you can post your bio if you like. I'm really a musician that turned into a picture book author. I am a mom, wife and work full time. We also run two small Renaissance Festivals here in MA which I promote. I also promote Renaissance Performers and Merchants on FB as well as have a blog too. Tell me about YOU!

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Watts | 2 comments How neat! My mom is in the Ren Faire court out here in CA. Great way to let your imagination run wild :) Does the experience influence your work any?
I work in advertising, a real mad gal among the Mad Men. I actually started my upcoming illustrated book Frank n Goat as a creative outlet from my job. Fine art was my minor in college, and I spent a year in Florence, Italy learning things I have now completely forgotten (except how to order gelato, still have that down). Wanted to find a way to get back to the art. Nice to make your digital acquaintance!

message 3: by Gia (new)

Jess wrote: "How neat! My mom is in the Ren Faire court out here in CA. Great way to let your imagination run wild :) Does the experience influence your work any?
I work in advertising, a real mad gal among the..."
Ooh maybe you could give us some advertising tips...:) Yes, we have a lot of fun with the faires here. Please post your book in the group and if you like, feel free to also add it up on the fan page.

message 4: by Gia (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Hello,
I'm a retired Special Education and Dyslexia teacher. I have 2 grown children, a very supportive husband, 2 dogs and a cat. I wrote my first picture book, Bountiful Butterflies in 2013 and ..."
ah that's how the Phoebe doll (she's fabulous by the way) - I'm an avid knitter myself - although I haven't figured out how to make dolls but I am trying to make my first sweater though.

message 5: by Werner (last edited Apr 24, 2015 06:19PM) (new)

Werner Stejskal | 1 comments Oliver and Jumpy, Stories 13-15 (Oliver and Jumpy, the cat series) by Werner Stejskal Hi, I am retired or actually not anymore, since now I am an author! We are grandparents, but are not allowed much time with our grandchildren. This is the reason why I started the picture book series "Oliver and Jumpy" two years ago. In the meantime there are thirteen books and many more to come. The stories are also on YouTube. It is a very big task and the books need a lot of promotion. There is always one book free for download on most ebook platforms. My daughter's cat was parts of the inspiration for this series as well as a lifelong interest in story writing. This project is at the stage where it needs lots of reviews. Bye!
Oliver and Jumpy, Stories 13-15

message 6: by Gia (new)

Werner wrote: "Oliver and Jumpy, Stories 13-15 (Oliver and Jumpy, the cat series) by Werner StejskalHi, I am retired or actually not anymore, since now I am an author! We are grandparents, but are not allowed much time with our grandchildren. Th..." Welcome! I know it is a bit of work, but in the end totally worth it!

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex | 4 comments Hello, I'm Alex, and I'm not sure what to say. But I just finished my 2nd picture book. I'm not married or have any human children, but I do have 5 feathered children that I love very much. And so far they have been my inspiration for both my books. I majored in TV post production in college and I started off writing screenplays. I currently like to write screenplays, children's books and YA/NA novels and maybe one adult novel. But I haven't finished my novels yet. Nice to meet everyone. :) oh and I'd really like to see the Youtube series of Olover and Jumpy - it sounds awesome and I love Ren Faires, I go to my local one every year. :)

message 8: by Gia (new)

Alex wrote: "Hello, I'm Alex, and I'm not sure what to say. But I just finished my 2nd picture book. I'm not married or have any human children, but I do have 5 feathered children that I love very much. And so ..."
Hi Alex,
Feathered Children, my husband is jealous - he wants a bird :) - we love our faires too - any tips from being in the TV production world?

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex | 4 comments Gia wrote: " Hi Alex,
Feathered Children, my husband is jealous - he wants a bird :) - we love our faires too - any tips from being in the TV production world? ..."

Tips? I don't know what would be useful. I just started a youtube channel and it's going okay - not as great as I hope it would go - because I'm not very comfortable in front of the camera. I'm more behind the scenes, like art decorating, script writing, set designing stuff like that. At one point I did want to make an animation booktube channel, but animation takes a very long time. So I started my booktube channel with a puppet. :)

message 10: by Grace (new)

Grace Brannigan (GraceBranniganRomanceAuthor) Hi: Just joined this group. I live in the Catskill mountains of upstate NY. I am adding my children's picture books to Goodreads this week. Sometimes I do my own illustrations. I hand dye silk and one of my picture books, "Whispered Dreams of Pretty Horses" is all my art on silk for the illustrations. I also write romances and Young Adult time travels. I'm thinking of also creating a video for the picture books. Besides the noted above, I also have "Hey, Mr. Logger." (non-fiction). "Jack's Amazing, cool, fun, scary Adventure." Next is "Bubble Magic." Also, "Hello, Guardian Angel."

message 11: by Louise (new)

Louise Nadeau | 1 comments Hi,

So glad to have found this group! My name is Louise and I am the author of Magelica's Voyage.
Magelica's Voyage
My children, and their love of adventure, fairy tales, and lullabies, inspired me to create Magelica and her world. As a mother to two girls, I was motivated to create a positive role model, not just for my daughters, but for all little girls. A female character that was kind and loving, positive and confident, modern with traditional values, cool without trying to be.

My inspirations in creating this book were many; I wanted to share my beliefs and positive insights, and help others discover, in a fun and entertaining way, how to make their lives magical. I believe that the world is shifting and that more and more people are subscribing to the fact that positive energy attracts more positivity and that love really is the key to improving our world. Through Magelica's Voyages, I hope to inspire young girls to grow up believing in themselves and in the power that love and positive thinking will bring them. Readers, young and old, will discover themselves in this magical adventure.

Share the magic! Louise xox

message 12: by N. (new)

N. Cox (coxn) | 5 comments Hi I'm N. Cox and I've recently published the first book of my children's series on Amazon. I'm new to Goodreads, and have just added my book here. It's titled Nala and the Gala.

message 13: by BC (new)

BC Dee (BCDee123) | 5 comments Hi folks,

Thanks for allowing me to join your community. I enjoyed virtually meeting each of you through your posts.

I am a life-long picture-book fan and a long-time writer/poet. I had a day job for years as a teacher, rising with my students (not on purpose). I first taught middle school, then high school, then community college, and finally at a university. I studied and taught political science, but don't hold that against me.

I quit my day job this month, and now I am a full-time author-a scary but fun transition.

I have recently published two picture books through my homegrown publishing house: Hairy Dog Books. They're e-books and POD via Amazon.
The Hiccupopotamus by B.C. Dee The Girl Who Drank the Moon a rhyming picture book by BC Dee

I would love to discuss pictures, books, picture books, and even pictures of books. I hope that we can have some fun together :-)

If anyone would be willing to review my books, I'd be happy to send you a copy.

Hope to (virtually) see you soon,

Bryan

message 14: by Sima (new)

Sima Mittal (mittalsima) | 3 comments Hi there Bryan...this is Sima here from Dar es Salaam , Tanzania...and yes I could review your books but i hope i do not have to buy them....and also I am just a beginner at writing but love picture books...if you are interested please email me your books at mittalsima@hotmail.com.....thanks and kind regards,