UK Book Club discussion

Genre Challenge 2015-17 > Travel & Exploration - May 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3409 comments Mod
According to the random list generator, May's genre is: travel and/or exploration.

Hmm, what to choose? I may go for Coronation Everest by Jan Morris as that will also get me Nepal for the around the world challenge....

Coronation Everest by Jan Morris

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Quick question - this is my first time doing the genre challenge, does Travel & Exploration have to be a non-fiction travel guide or can it be a fiction book where the characters travel somewhere or a fiction book set somewhere exotic? Or is it up to us to decide how we interpret it - how strict are you about the genres? :)

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura I think for this one I'll tick off the next book in my round the world challenge (Vanuatu). So I'll be reading Man Belong Mrs Queen: Adventures with the Philip Worshippers which is about a guy trying to find out more about a Vanuatu cult which worships Prince Philip.

The next three books I'm thinking of reading for the world challenge could all go in this genre. The other two are Beyond The Oxus: The Central Asians(Tajikistan) and The Snow Leopard(Nepal).

message 4: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3409 comments Mod
Caroline wrote: "Quick question - this is my first time doing the genre challenge, does Travel & Exploration have to be a non-fiction travel guide or can it be a fiction book where the characters travel somewhere o..."

While non-fiction is the obvious interpretation, fiction is certainly allowed. As long as the characters are travelling or explorers!

I often bend and stretch genres for the challenge, so please go ahead as you will ;)

message 5: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3409 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "I think for this one I'll tick off the next book in my round the world challenge (Vanuatu). So I'll be reading Man Belong Mrs Queen: Adventures with the Philip Worshippers which is about a guy trying to find out more about a Vanuatu cult which worships Prince Philip. ..."

Laura, I did a double take then: there is a tribe that worships Prince Philip? And it's not fiction? The world is indeed a strange and mysterious place - bizarre!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Liz wrote: "Caroline wrote: "Quick question - this is my first time doing the genre challenge, does Travel & Exploration have to be a non-fiction travel guide or can it be a fiction book where the characters t..."

Thanks for that Liz. I'll see what I can come up with.

message 7: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecobbaertbe) | 371 comments I'm going to read Shadow of the Silk Road by Colin Thubron

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments Glad about the flexibility 'Re fiction/non fiction and if I'd not read it recently I'd have gone for ' The Birthday boys ' by Beryl Bainbridge for Antarctica however think I will have to pop to the library.

message 9: by Aneta (last edited Apr 24, 2015 10:44PM) (new)

Aneta | 20 comments My choice for this category is Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail. And I haven't seen the movie yet:-)
Wild From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

message 10: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I thought Wild was very good, Aneta. Hope you like it too!

message 11: by Ellie (new)

Ellie M (elliemcc11) | 595 comments I was thinking of that Aneta, or maybe a Bill Bryson I've not read. Need something lighthearted.

message 12: by Monique (new)

Monique (monty454) | 108 comments I've got a few ideas, but not sure which I'm going to do:
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver,
New Europe by Michael Palin,
Mind Over Matter by Ranulph Fiennes,
or like Ellie, I'm sure I've got a Bill Bryson I haven't read somewhere....decisions, decisions!!

message 13: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3409 comments Mod
'The Birthday Boys' by Beryl Bainbridge is of of my favourites - glad you liked it too, Andrew.

message 15: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2702 comments Ellie wrote: "I was thinking of that Aneta, or maybe a Bill Bryson I've not read. Need something lighthearted."

I'm thinking about reading a Bill Bryson as well, Ellie. Always an entertaining read.

message 16: by Monique (new)

Monique (monty454) | 108 comments Have decided to read Mind Over Matter by Ranulph Fiennes about his unsupported trek over Antarctica, good for my RTW challenge as well!

message 17: by Ellie (new)

Ellie M (elliemcc11) | 595 comments Bill wrote: "Ellie wrote: "I was thinking of that Aneta, or maybe a Bill Bryson I've not read. Need something lighthearted."

I'm thinking about reading a Bill Bryson as well, Ellie. Always an entertaining read."

I've thinking maybe A Walk in the Woods Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson as I've yet to read that. I've read all the other US and European ones. The only other travel one I know of is the Australia book but I don't fancy that very much. Which one are you considering?

message 18: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2702 comments Ellie wrote: "Bill wrote: "Ellie wrote: "I was thinking of that Aneta, or maybe a Bill Bryson I've not read. Need something lighthearted."

I'm thinking about reading a Bill Bryson as well, Ellie. Always an ente..."

I've picked the European one, Ellie, Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson . The missus read that one and the Appalachian trail book and preferred the European trip. Enjoy your Walk in the Woods. :0)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I'm going to read Blizzard: Race to the Pole.

message 20: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1311 comments Mod
Ellie, I read A Walk in the Woods Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson for this genre last time and really enjoyed it. I've clocked up all the States he visits ready to tick one of them off my USA tour challenge!

message 21: by Ellie (new)

Ellie M (elliemcc11) | 595 comments Kate (Trojanhorse) wrote: "Ellie, I read A Walk in the Woods Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson for this genre last time and really enjoyed it. I've clocked up all the States he visits ready to ..."

oh that was my plan too :)

message 22: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3409 comments Mod
I enjoyed 'A Walk in the Woods' too.

message 23: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2702 comments I started Neither Here Nor There last night. Enjoying so far.

message 24: by Steve (last edited May 04, 2015 01:23AM) (new)

Steve Haywood | 21 comments This is a good genre for me - it is not one I read often but rather a genre I always mean to get around to but rarely do. Browsing my (real and digital) bookshelves, I realise I've picked up a fair few to choose from. Currently torn between Travels with Charley: In Search of America by John Steinbeck, Around the World in 80 Treasures by Dan Cruickshank and Coast to Coast: A Journey Across 1950s America. Jan Morris. Also got a pile of old H.V. Morton books yesterday which will have some good books in.

message 25: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
Either Archipelago by Monique Roffey a novel by Monique Roffey or The Jaguar Smile A Nicaraguan Journey by Salman Rushdie a travel memoir by Salman Rushdie. Given that I loved the formers The White Woman on the Green Bicycle A Novel by Monique Roffey - 1st thing I ever read on my kindle - and generally hate Rushdie's novels, guess which way I'm leaning.

message 26: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3409 comments Mod
Archipelago's on my to read list too. Decisions, decisions....

message 27: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1311 comments Mod
I've picked up Transylvania and Beyond: A Travel Memoir from the library and have just started it. Not bad so far and will get me Romania for Around the World! :)

message 28: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I'm going to read The Wave In Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks, and Giants of the Ocean by Susan Casey The Wave: In Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks, and Giants of the Ocean by Susan Casey - I think it suits travel and exploration since it's about the scientists and surfers who seek out these rogue waves to study/surf?! Seems interesting topic to me...

message 29: by Monique (new)

Monique (monty454) | 108 comments Am enjoying !!??!! my read of Mind Over Matter by Ranulph Fiennes. Much detail about what they went through physically and emotionally (crotch rot, frost bite and the like). I see many cringing at this very moment. Whyyy would anyone want to put themselves through that is beyond me! A good read none the less..
Mind Over Matter (Delta Expedition) by Ranulph Fiennes

message 30: by Ellie (new)

Ellie M (elliemcc11) | 595 comments Steve wrote: "This is a good genre for me - it is not one I read often but rather a genre I always mean to get around to but rarely do. Browsing my (real and digital) bookshelves, I realise I've picked up a fair..."

Travels with Charley is great - and a short book if anyone wants a quick read.

message 31: by Ian, Moderator (last edited May 06, 2015 08:41AM) (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
It's the 100th anniversary this year of the Armenian genocide. Written in the 90's, this looks like a good travel/history/cultural peek at that country. The Crossing Place A Journey among the Armenians by Philip Marsden by the acclaimed travel writer Philip Marsden.

There's also The Waiting Land by Dervla Murphy for Nepal by Irish travel writer Dervla Murphy.

message 32: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1311 comments Mod
Interesting about The waiting Land Ian. Dervla Murphy wrote Transylvania and Beyond: A Travel Memoir which I am currently reading. She's also written one for Ethiopia which caught my eye. Around the World challenge should do well this month!

message 33: by Ellie (last edited May 06, 2015 04:13PM) (new)

Ellie M (elliemcc11) | 595 comments Kate (Trojanhorse) wrote: "Interesting about The waiting Land Ian. Dervla Murphy wrote Transylvania and Beyond: A Travel Memoir which I am currently reading. She's also written one for Ethiopia ..."

I've read a couple Dervla Murphy books - my mum was a fan at one time (and still is) and bought a few. They are still on the shelves and I've eyed them up for RTW.

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura Just finished reading Man Belong Mrs Queen: Adventures with the Philip Worshippers. Not quite what I expected but really good! I sort of thought I'd learn more about the people of Vanuatu and how 'cargo-cult style' religions work but what the book mainly focussed on was the difficulty inherent in trying to learn about a culture which is so different from your own.

In the end the author learnt very little about the Prince Philip worship on the island but it didn't really matter because that wasn't the point in the end.

message 36: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2702 comments Lindy-Lane wrote: "my pick is Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks."

I've read a couple of other Tony Hawks books and enjoyed them both. This one is sitting on my shelf to read too. I hope you enjoy.

message 37: by Monique (new)

Monique (monty454) | 108 comments Just finished Mind Over Matter before I go to work, I enjoyed it, some really good detail about Antartica which I know very little about. A good couple of appendices at the end covering leadership and the formation of Antartica and what we're doing to the continent despite the Antartic Treaty. Gives me Antartica for my RTW challenge as well.

Mind Over Matter (Delta Expedition) by Ranulph Fiennes

message 38: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments I picked up from the library Extreme Rambling Walking Israel's Separation Barrier. For Fun. by Mark Thomas which I am hoping will both make me laugh and inform me about the area.

message 39: by Anne (new)

Anne Wright | 46 comments I am going to read Endurance by Alfred Lansing - The greatest Adventure ever told. loaned by my Father, I thought I had 'A Year in Tibet' but I can not find it.

I am not a natural reader of factual books so I hope I have picked ok - I will give it a really good go.

message 40: by Davidg (new)

Davidg | 15 comments I like the genre challenge because it encourages me to pick out those books on my shelves that I have been meaning to read but have never quite got around to. So, I have now enjoyedInto The Silence: The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest. There are one or two others I might manage before the month is out.

message 41: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1311 comments Mod
Just finished Transylvania and Beyond: A Travel Memoir A very interesting account of Romania post revolution. And not a vampire in sight!!!

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Still plodding along with Blizzard: Race to the Pole. Wishing I'd picked something - anything - else. Everybody else's choices sound much better than mine. I blame my husband! (His book). I'm halfway through now though so I refuse to give up. Not convinced I'll make it by the end of the month though. Go on without me. Save yourselves... ;)

message 43: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3409 comments Mod
Caroline, 'I refuse to give up!' - said like a true polar explorer ;)

message 44: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I am loving The Wave In Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks, and Giants of the Ocean by Susan Casey The Wave: In Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks, and Giants of the Ocean by Susan Casey it is a very engaging, enjoyable read and fascinating subject. I'm traversing the globe with surfers and scientists in search of giant waves whilst sitting safely in my lounge. It's great!

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I did it! I finished. I hated every minute of it but I finished it.

Blizzard: Race to the Pole - Jasper Rees

"I set myself a challenge and I'll get on with it, but it isn't half dull" - Bruce Parry (pg 189)

Exactly...

message 46: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments I finished Extreme Rambling Walking Israel's Separation Barrier. For Fun. by Mark Thomas and would recommend it for an insight into life around the barrier between Israel and The west bank. At times you cannot believe what you are reading, balanced it is not but interesting and as an eye opener it is definitely worth reading. I'm not sure if I will fit another travel book in but I may have a go as I am still finishing off my second pre 2oth century from last month.

message 47: by Anne (last edited May 23, 2015 10:04AM) (new)

Anne Wright | 46 comments Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage

I am having trouble reading a factual book, I love what I have read, and every time I pick it up I find something else I will keep trying xx

message 48: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3409 comments Mod
I finished Coronation Everest by Jan Morris a couple of days ago. A surprisingly warm-hearted and amusing account of the conquest of Everest, written by The Times' journalist who accompanied the expedition. Terribly, terribly British (alot of scrambled egg was consumed!) and very much of it's time. I really enjoyed it.

Coronation Everest by Jan Morris

message 49: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1311 comments Mod
I'm going to try and squeeze one more book in this month and I've opted for Raffles and the Golden Opportunity which will hopefully get me Singapore...

message 50: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3409 comments Mod
Kate, I've been meaning to read that. Let me know how you get on :)

« previous 1