The Sword and Laser discussion

The Sword of Rhiannon
This topic is about The Sword of Rhiannon
2015 Reads > TSoR: May 2015 Pick: The Sword of Rhiannon by Leigh Brackett

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Apr 23, 2015 10:13AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6756 comments Mod
Making a new thread for the official annoucement/pre-month discussion.

Tom made it official we're doing The Sword of Rhiannon by Leigh Brackett.

New copies are not available through Amazon for some reason, but you can get used copies.

It is available in audio from audible however.

You can buy the ebook in all major formats from Baen for USD $4. However it's listed as Sea-Kings of Mars, which was the original title apparently.

Finally you can buy the paperback from Paizo for USD $12.99 + shipping.

So there should be plenty of ways to get a hold of a copy.

terpkristin | 4132 comments Cool. Glad he stuck to his guns, not ONLY because I bought it in ebook from Baen and audio from Audible. :D

I have to say, the selling point for a lot of people seems to be that she wrote the first draft of one of the Star Wars movies...but that's not the selling point for me (because Star Wars is not my cuppa), I AM interested in seeing how things so old age...and if I don't like it, at least it looks really short.

message 3: by Sky (new)

Sky | 665 comments I would be interested in the audio/narration quality if anyone picks it up from Audible early (terpkristin I am looking at you :))

Adelaide Blair terpkristin wrote: " have to say, the selling point for a lot of people seems to be that she wrote the first draft of one of the Star Wars movies...but that's not the selling point for me (because Star Wars is not my cuppa)"

She's also one of the screenwriters for Rio Bravo, which is much more meaningful to me than the Star Wars thing. It's a fun movie, and if you are a John Carpenter fan, he references her and her film work quite a bit.

Daniel K | 164 comments Those who like Burroughs' Barsoom series might like Sword of Rhiannon. It has very similar feel, maybe less crazy and gory, but still. It seems like at that time (end of 40s) SF hadn't still recovered from its pulp stage.

Andy (andy_m) | 311 comments My copy arrived yesterday... It has seen some time, there is a note from 1967 scribbled in the cover.

Also, it is 128 pages and originally retailed for 40 cents.

message 7: by Larry (new)

Larry Tuxbury (ltux) | 7 comments The are a bunch of inexpensive copies at AbeBooks. I ordered mine a few days ago and it's already arrived.

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments Rob wrote: "Making a new thread for the official annoucement/pre-month discussion.

Tom made it official we're doing The Sword of Rhiannon by Leigh Brackett.

It's out of print, bu..."

Just to clarify, it's not out of print, Paizo Publishing has a paperback edition for $12.99 US + shipping for people interested in that route.

message 9: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) | 908 comments It seems weird that Paizo doesn't seem to let Amazon sell copies on their site then (outside of 3rd-party (re)sellers). I don't see that very often.

message 10: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Thanks Joe. I must have missed that comment in the last thread (another good reason to create this new thread). I'll update the OP with your link.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2471 comments Kind of odd but Goodreads shows Sea-Kings of Mars with 194 pages and Sword of Rhiannon at 141 pages. I would expect some discrepancy between editions but 25% seems a little weird.

message 12: by Stephen (last edited Apr 23, 2015 11:26AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1322 comments Could be a font issue rather than editing. Still, Sea King of Mars is going to be my Halloween costume this year. Going to have to get on a program to get a Sea King body.

message 13: by Andy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andy (andy_m) | 311 comments AndrewP wrote: "Kind of odd but Goodreads shows Sea-Kings of Mars with 194 pages and Sword of Rhiannon at 141 pages. I would expect some discrepancy between editions but 25% seems a little weird."

Stephen wrote: "Could be a font issue rather than editing. Still, Sea King of Mars is going to be my Halloween costume this year. Going to have to get on a program to get a Sea King body."

Agreed with the font. My copy is 128 pages and the book is SMALL - only about 5" by 4" and the font... OH MY it is small.

terpkristin | 4132 comments Sky wrote: "I would be interested in the audio/narration quality if anyone picks it up from Audible early (terpkristin I am looking at you :))"

I listened to the first chapter (~40 minutes ish?) last night. The narration is flat and slow. I usually can't listen to narrators sped up but I had to speed the narration up because otherwise it was like listening with lots of ellipses in sentences. But at either 1.25x or 1.5x (on the Audible app), it seemed to be ok.

I'm not sure if I'll listen to the entire thing, or if I'll switch to the ebook I purchased. The narration certainly isn't going into my list of "best narrated books" or even "great narrated books" but it's also not going into my list of "worst narrated books."

message 15: by Sky (last edited Apr 23, 2015 06:57PM) (new)

Sky | 665 comments terpkristin wrote: "I'm not sure if I'll listen to the entire thing, or if I'll switch to the ebook I purchased. The narration certainly isn't going into my list of "best narrated books" or even "great narrated books" but it's also not going into my list of "worst narrated books."

Haha...Thanks, I'll save my credits then and read the ebook :)

Daniel Hooley | 30 comments I think i'm definitely gonna go for the ebook because 5 hours seems really short to use a full audible credit on. I didn't mind the Discworld ones too much at 7-8 hours because I know i'll get multiple reads out of those but not for something i'm not certain of yet.

message 17: by Mark (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2296 comments Daniel wrote: "Those who like Burroughs' Barsoom series might like Sword of Rhiannon. It has very similar feel, maybe less crazy and gory, but still. It seems like at that time (end of 40s) SF hadn't still recove..."

Yes, I'm a few chapters in and it has the same feel as Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter books and Otis Adelbert Kline's Mars novels.

Miranda I just reserved the book at my library. Hope they will have it ready soon! (I am going to read a translated version. I wonder if it will have notable differences.)

terpkristin | 4132 comments For the record, I didn't use a credit, I bought it with my credit card when they were doing the 50% off sale. I bought a lot of books not on credits for that sale. I figure that if the book costs less than what I spend per credit, then I won't waste a credit (unless I'm about to lose one). That 50% off sale was dangerous...but was useful for getting my listening rewards...

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1322 comments I just want to point out that in the latest edition of Dungeons & Dragons appendix E: Inspirational Readings, Brackett's Sword of Rhiannon is listed. I still think Sea-King of Mars is the coolest title.

message 21: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 2 stars

I do that too, which is probably why I have so many credits. Lol.

Thankfully I held off on spending too much in that 50% off sale.

Daniel K | 164 comments Why this obsession with "... of Mars" titling of first half of 20th century? Its strange how often different authors used that approach.

message 23: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3911 comments Is it just then? Recently we've had Red Mars / Green Mars / Blue Mars and The Martian. Seems like Mars is a perennial.

message 24: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Apr 24, 2015 03:37PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

People dream of Mars. It's one of the closest planets to our own. I don't know why it's surprising.

message 25: by Stephen (last edited Apr 24, 2015 03:59PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1322 comments Last year, intentional or not, the Mars rover drew a penis on Mars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_WTZ...
or
http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos...

message 26: by Sky (new)

Sky | 665 comments Daniel wrote: "Why this obsession with "... of Mars" titling of first half of 20th century? Its strange how often different authors used that approach."

Kind of like all the books with "Girl on" "Girl with" books now.

message 27: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) | 908 comments Sky wrote: "Kind of like all the books with "Girl on" "Girl with" books now. "

"The Girl on Mars," "The Girl with Mars," "The Girl of Mars," etc.

message 28: by Sky (last edited Apr 24, 2015 07:32PM) (new)

Sky | 665 comments David wrote: "Sky wrote: "Kind of like all the books with "Girl on" "Girl with" books now. "

"The Girl on Mars," "The Girl with Mars," "The Girl of Mars," etc."

brb writing novel proposal for inkshares ... :)

Joseph | 2256 comments Sky wrote: "David wrote: "Sky wrote: "Kind of like all the books with "Girl on" "Girl with" books now. "

"The Girl on Mars," "The Girl with Mars," "The Girl of Mars," etc."

brb writing novel proposal for ink..."

The Girl with the Mars Tattoo.

message 30: by Daniel (last edited Apr 25, 2015 02:57AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Daniel K | 164 comments Rob wrote: "People dream of Mars. It's one of the closest planets to our own. I don't know why it's surprising."

Not Mars interest itself surprises me but this exact phrasing in titles "[something] of Mars". The Martian or Blue Mars are not counted.

message 31: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ah. OK.

message 32: by Mark (last edited Apr 25, 2015 06:14AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2296 comments Never thought about it, but there are hundreds, maybe more, of books titled "Something or Someone or Someplace of Mars". Like other authors, Leigh Brackett wrote several "of Mars" stories.

Sea-Kings of Mars and Otherwordly Stories by Leigh Brackett
The Beast-jewel Of Mars by Leigh Brackett
Black Amazon of Mars by Leigh Brackett

and here are a fraction of the rest

The Forge of Mars by Bruce Balfour
The Warlord of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Podkayne of Mars by Robert A. Heinlein
Thuvia, Maid of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
The Chessmen of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Swords of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Sands of Mars by Arthur C. Clarke
Synthetic Men of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
John Carter of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Heirs of Mars by Joseph Robert Lewis
The Master Mind of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
The swordsman of Mars by Otis Adelbert Kline
A Fighting Man of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
The Outlaws of Mars by Otis Adelbert Kline
Blue Hearts of Mars by Nicole Grotepas
The Empress of Mars by Kage Baker
Haydn of Mars by Al Sarrantonio
Visions of Mars by Olivier de Goursac
The Daughters of Mars by Thomas Keneally
Champion of Mars by Guy Haley
Finches of Mars by Brian Aldiss
Heirs of Mars: Preludes by Joseph Robert Lewis
Doctor Who and the Pyramids of Mars by Terrance Dicks
Queen of Mars by Al Sarrantonio
Sebastian of Mars by Al Sarrantonio
The Iron Hand of Mars by Lindsey Davis
The Empress of Mars [novella] by Kage Baker
Lost Race of Mars by Robert Silverberg
The Mystery of Mars by Sally Ride
The Winds of Mars by H. M. Hoover
Edison's Conquest of Mars by Garrett P. Serviss
Men of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
The Spear of Mars by Reginald Bretnor
Gulliver of Mars by Edwin L. Arnold
A Wizard of Mars by Diane Duane
Greening of Mars by Michael Allaby
Masters of Mars by Al Sarrantonio
The book of Mars by Samuel Glasstone
The Ruins Of Mars by Dylan James Quarles
The Resurrection of Mars by Jonathan Morris
The Magician of Mars by Edmond Hamilton
Iris Wildthyme of Mars by Philip Purser-Hallard
Children of Mars by Paul Day
The Vicar Of Mars by Gwyneth Jones
Heirs of Mars by Joseph Robert
The Aethers of Mars by Eric Flint
Black Wing of Mars by Statten Vargo
The Dawn of Mars by Jeff Ferry
Rebels of Mars by Walt Ciechanowski
Pirates of Mars by Chris Gerrib
Seedling of Mars by Clark Ashton Smith
Great Wall of Mars by Alastair Reynolds
Raiders of Mars by Patrick Moore
The Voices of Mars by Patrick Moore
Field Of Mars by Stephen E. Miller
Mates of Mars by David Foster
The Canals of Mars by Patrick McGuinness
Canal Priests of Mars by Marcus L. Rowland
The Gods Of Mars by Gardner Dozois
Monsters of Mars by Edmond Hamilton
The Emperor of Mars by Allen Steele
Ghosts of Mars by John Carpenter
The Caves Of Mars by A. Bertram Chandler
Warriors of Mars by Edward P. Bradbury (pseud. Michael Moorc
John Carter of Mars by John Coleman Burroughs
Transits of Mars by Frances; Acker Sakoian, Louis
Warrior Maid Of Mars by Alfred Coppel

Alas, I couldn't find "The Sword and Laser of Mars".

New writing project for the Supremes?

message 33: by Mark (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2296 comments Hmmm. There are surprising nuances to this "of Mars" thing. So there is Black Amazon of Mars by Leigh Brackett, but there is also Black Male Amazon of Mars by Lee Brackett. The latter is subtitled "a Gender Switch Adventure." Who knew?

message 34: by Mark (last edited May 01, 2015 07:33PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2296 comments I have to admit that I get a kick when the monthly pick is one of these tales from the classic era of F&SF. Sometimes the cover art for the older books is thrilling. Swords, serpents and a, umm.., a CD?

This is the June 1949 issue of Thrilling Wonder Stories

message 35: by Daniel (last edited Apr 25, 2015 03:05PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Daniel K | 164 comments I sometimes remember James T. Kirk's fighting style from 60s and dirty Tatooine from A New Hope when i read Sword of Rhiannon. Looking at this cover art makes this feeling twice as clear. It's funny to look at all these battle bras and roman tunics in SCIENCE fiction. :)

By the way. It is worth mentioning that this book (as is much of old sci-fi) is pretty sexist sometimes. It is interesting that even woman authors of that time wrote typical masculine fiction. But having watched Marvel's Agent Carter TV show it shouldn't be too surpising.

Caitlin | 355 comments If anyone is having the same problem as me - I had a hard time getting the purchase to work (possibly because of the apostrophe in my name), but I managed to make it work by switching to desktop rather than mobile.

Caitlin | 355 comments (On Baen)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2471 comments Adelaide wrote: "She's also one of the screenwriters for Rio Bravo, which is much more meaningful to me than the Star Wars thing. It's a fun movie, and if you are a John Carpenter fan, he references her and her film work quite a bit. "

Wow, I never knew that. I'm with you on the more enjoyable movie. I have Rio Bravo in my DVD collection but not Star Wars :)

Joseph | 2256 comments And let's not forget The Big Sleep:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038355/?...

William | 404 comments Rob wrote: .... New copies are not av..."

I don't see the PDF scan of the original publication listed in the opening post:

http://www.unz.org/Pub/ThrillingWonde...

If you want to read in something like the original format, that's a really good option.

btw. if you want to try to locate the hold of the Sea Kings or the city of Sark, you can have a gander at this recent post on the Google Earth blog:

http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archiv...

message 41: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 2 stars

What is the copyright on the book? I don't pretend to know/understand the law on this stuff.

However, I'd think if some publishers are making the book available, then a scan of an old copy is not legal, and therefore shouldn't be linked here.

message 42: by William (last edited Apr 29, 2015 07:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

William | 404 comments Rob wrote: "What is the copyright on the book? I don't pretend to know/understand the law on this stuff.

However, I'd think if some publishers are making the book available, then a scan of an old copy is not..."

I came across the site through a link in the other S&L Rhiannon thread.

After a bit of digging, I believe full unz.org scans are either licensed or are copyright-expired. If you click through the site many, many of the articles only have a page or two available online to view as samples (no PDF downloads) as they are copyrighted.

Many copyright-expired books are still published, penguin classics does a roaring trade financed by people who prefer paper copies to manybooks.net style downloads.

So while I can't see a specific copyright statement for this story - the missing articles elsewhere on the site give me some confidence that this is ligit.

(also it seems to have been set up by a US politician, so it's got to be unquestionably ethical...right?)

If it turns out otherwise I apologise.

[Edit: You've given me a guilt trip here - I do hope it is above board]

message 43: by Mark (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2296 comments From http://www.copyright.gov/records/ the renewal copyright record on the Ace paperback edition of "The Sword of Rhiannon" published in 1953. There are many sites posting copies of pulp magazines these days and I don't know if this renewal applies to "Sea Kings of Mars" published four years earlier in Thrilling Wonder Stories. I couldn't find a record for "Sea Kings of Mars".

Type of Work: Text

Registration Number / Date:
RE0000096819 / 1981-07-20
Renewal registration for: A00000131739 / 1953-12-11

Title: The Sword of Rhiannon. By Leigh Brackett, pseud. of Leigh Brackett Hamilton.

Notes: (With Conan the conqueror)

Copyright Claimant: Leigh Brackett Hamilton (A)

Variant title: The Sword of Rhiannon.

Names: Hamilton, Leigh Brackett
Brackett, Leigh, pseud.

=========================================

message 44: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yeah. Like I said..I have no idea. I'm not trying to tell people if they should use those links or not.

I just wasn't sure if it was legal or not, and wanted to be sure before posting links in the OP to stuff that may be legally questionable.

Is that entry you posted Mark saying the copyright was renewed on 7/20/81 and is therefore still active? Or that it was renewed on the 12/11/53 and expired in 81? I'm not really clear on that.

message 45: by Mark (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2296 comments Rob: The original copyright for the Ace book containing The Sword of Rhiannon was issued 1953-12-11 and it was renewed 1981-07-20. The record doesn't address the length of the renewal.

message 46: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ah OK. Thanks.

I'm think going to avoid "promoting" that link then. It's around now in two threads. People can decide for themselves.

Miranda Nice timing: I got to pick up the book from the library yesterday and read the last chapter of the other book I was reading. So I can start fresh and on time!

Mark wrote: "I have to admit that I get a kick when the monthly pick is one of these tales from the classic era of F&SF. Sometimes the cover art for the older books is thrilling. Swords, serpents and a, umm.., ..."

My book has got an interesting cover as well. I wonder if there is any relation to batman? (I don't know how to add the image here, I feel so old now, but I managed to upload it to my profile here: https://d.gr-assets.com/photos/143049... for those who are interested anyway.)

Joseph | 2256 comments Miranda wrote: "My book has got an interesting cover as well. I wonder if there is any relation to batman? (I don't know how to add the image here, I feel so old now, but I managed to upload it to my profile here: https://d.gr-assets.com/photos/143049... for those who are interested anyway.) ..."

Interesting! I think it's Frazetta? Maybe repurposed from an Edgar Rice Burroughs Barsoom cover or something?

message 49: by Rob, Roberator (last edited May 01, 2015 08:13AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Miranda wrote: "I don't know how to add the image here"

If you are using the web version and click the "(some html is ok)" link at the top right corner of the response box it shows you the syntax.

I've embedded the picture for the lazy:

message 50: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Mark wrote: "Rob: The original copyright for the Ace book containing The Sword of Rhiannon was issued 1953-12-11 and it was renewed 1981-07-20. The record doesn't address the length of the renewal."

If it was renewed, it's grandfathered into the modern copyright system of Life+70.

« previous 1