/r/Fantasy Discussion Group discussion

2015 Book Club Discussions > May 2015: Nominate for Book of the Month

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joel (new)

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments It's that time again - nominations are open for the May 2015 BOTM. We've had some really great books the last few months, so let's keep the streak going.

Same rules as always apply:

1) Each person is allowed ONE vote, either a nomination OR a "second"

2) Once a book is "seconded", it is added to the poll list

3) Once five books are on the poll list, this thread closes and voting begins

4) No self promotion allowed - if outside vote stacking or promotion is discovered, a book will be DQ'd automatically.

message 2: by Liam (new)

Liam Malice by: John Gwynne

message 3: by Joel (new)

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments I'm nominating The Grace Of Kings by Ken Liu. His short stories are beautiful, and his debut full length novel is no different.

message 4: by Matt (new)

Matt Hageman Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom Wright | 33 comments I'll nominate Ours is the Storm by D. Thourson Palmer.

It's an indie, and has pretty good ratings.

message 6: by Devan (new)

Devan (dsuber3) | 12 comments I'll nominate Half a King by Joe Abercrombie, because I just got it and I don't think we've discussed it yet.

message 7: by Eric (new)

Eric (koteric) | 10 comments The Shadow Of What Was Lost

I've had this for a while but haven't got around to reading it. Would love to do it with the group.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments I'll second Grace of Kings

message 11: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Peck (pecklet89) | 3 comments Second Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree

message 12: by Darryl (new)

Darryl | 3 comments Second Ours is the Storm.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin K (glowingdark) | 2 comments Second Half a King

message 14: by S.A. (new)

S.A. Hunt (sahunt) I vote for Chris Ruz's The Ragged Lord: Century of Sand 2.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Toth | 30 comments Second Grace of Kings

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael Toth | 30 comments nvm didnt see Lisa's comment. So...third

message 17: by Jordi (last edited Apr 22, 2015 07:09PM) (new)

Jordi (jordi_gil) | 4 comments I nominate Age of Iron by Angus Watson.

Just finished and loved it. I'm on to the next one in the trilogy Clash of Iron and so far it's a blast.

message 18: by Evan (new)

Evan Leybourn (eleybourn) Second The Ragged Lord

message 19: by Davis (new)

Davis (davissandefur) Second Furies of Calderon

I personally found that series more interesting than Dresden (though I've only read the first one; really no desire to continue).

message 20: by Harv (new)

Harv | 10 comments Has Traitor's Blade been done yet? If not, I'll go with that, since Grace of King's is already locked in.

message 21: by Sean (new)

Sean Zipperer | 3 comments I'll add David hair mages blood the moon tide book 1. I just started it so far seems interesting.

message 22: by Mark (new)

Mark Lawrence (marklawrence) | 34 comments I'll second Malice.

message 23: by Teanka (new)

Teanka I second The Shadow of what was lost.

message 24: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 37 comments I nominate To Ride Hell’s Chasm by Janny Wurts

message 25: by Kavya (new)

Kavya | 8 comments I second To Ride Hell's Chasm

message 26: by Saumya (new)

Saumya (smotron) | 1 comments I nominate Storm dancer (The lotus war#1) by Jay Kristoff. In case that hasn't been done before. :)

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments I'll second Age of Iron.

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments Locking this until either Joel or I get the chance to open the poll. :)

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments Poll is now open with the first 5 seconded nominations:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 30: by Arul (new)

Arul (alexverus) | 1 comments I second Furies of Calderon.

message 31: by Liam (new)

Liam Hi Lisa. Quick question, I nominated Malice and it was seconded by Mark. This was prior to you closing the thread. I didn't see it in the voting poll I'm assuming this was just a simple look over with so many nominations

message 32: by Joel (new)

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments Liam - It was seconded after there were 5 'seconded' books already chosen. We try to limit the poll to only 5 books - sometimes we go over, but it just gets out of hand when we do.

Malice was nominated in the past, I believe, but lost pretty bad in the polls. I was surprised, as I've largely heard good things about it - but the public speaks.

message 33: by Liam (new)

Liam Thanks for the response Joel I understand. I'm just people to try it out with the third books release dat upcoming

message 34: by Lisa (last edited Apr 23, 2015 12:19PM) (new)

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments Liam wrote: "Hi Lisa. Quick question, I nominated Malice and it was seconded by Mark. This was prior to you closing the thread. I didn't see it in the voting poll I'm assuming this was just a simple look over w..."

HI Liam, like Joel said, we just grab the first 5 books that get seconded. I confess that I have gone with more when I am late getting to the poll and feel bad, or I missed some of the seconded ones and wound up with the wrong 5 on the poll (then added the ones I missed in) but really we don't want a ton of options.

And personally, I am hoping Malice wins one of these days. I've had it forever, just haven't made the time to read it yet for some reason.

message 35: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments Grace of Kings it is! I loved this book and am excited because I think it should make for some good/interesting discussions.

message 36: by Frances (new)

Frances | 14 comments This was just released earlier this month. It's only available for $30 in hard cover. How have you read it already Lisa? :)

message 37: by Lisa (last edited Apr 28, 2015 06:32AM) (new)

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments Frances wrote: "This was just released earlier this month. It's only available for $30 in hard cover. How have you read it already Lisa? :)"

I was lucky enough to get an ARC.

Amazon has it for only $16.79. Barnes and Noble has it for $17.63 (I know not everyone likes shopping this places or try to support local bookstores, but it is a much cheaper option)

And the eBook is only $7.99 both places if that helps at all:

http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Kings-Dan...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-g...

message 38: by Teanka (new)

Teanka Frances wrote: "This was just released earlier this month. It's only available for $30 in hard cover. How have you read it already Lisa? :)"

It's also available on kindle and as an audiobook. We've already read and discussed it in another GR group.