Ampersand Book Club discussion

A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)
This topic is about A Darker Shade of Magic
Book Discussions > Book 17 | A Darker Shade of Magic | Fantasy + YA

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lindsey (liinukka) | 185 comments Our discussion for May's book! Putting it up early because we didn't haven April book.

message 2: by Lindsey (last edited May 04, 2015 09:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lindsey (liinukka) | 185 comments I'm always a fan of parallel universe stories, so I was already inclined to like this one. The history of the worlds and the differences between them was simplistic but interesting. The relationship between people and magic was something that was mentioned a lot and I hope it's something that will be explored a little more in the next book. We get hints as to the mysterious "Antari" and Kell's past, both which definitely could use some further development.

(view spoiler)

I'm looking forward to reading more of this series! Though, given the solid conclusion of this arc, I'm wondering where the story will pick up next.

Taryn (taryn_fry) | 169 comments I really have nothing insightful to say, but I really enjoyed this book. I could not put it down! I can't wait to read the rest of the series, I found the whole premise of the story really interesting, and hope we learn more about Kell's background.

Angela (anreads) | 54 comments I agree with everyone that I am really eager to learn more about Kell's history, and more about the entire backstory in general. I love how we're given the start of so many mysteries in this first book, but the story doesn't feel incomplete without them all being answered right away.

This was definitely a more character-based story, which is probably why I loved it so much. Each character was interesting and believable. (view spoiler)

I loved this book and I REALLY wish we didn’t have to wait for the next one to get published!

(view spoiler)

message 5: by Lisa (last edited May 09, 2015 01:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (mlliu) | 167 comments I agree with the other comments that have been made regarding this book. It took me awhile to get into it—the world building, the character development, etc.—but around the halfway point the story really picked up.

I love the idea of four Londons and there being doors between them. And the idea of magic as a force or entity, almost a living thing. I agree with Lindsey that that made the idea of the black stone palatable for me. It's not like the One Ring as it's presented in the Lord of the Rings (at least what I remember from the movies; it's been years since I've read the books). But that the stone is powerful because it's an artifact of this world where magic overpowered humanity. (Don't recall if "humanity" is the word Kell used. I wonder too what an Antari is.)

The book ended at a great point too. I hate cliffhangers. And the book is well-written enough that I look forward to book two. I've found that I tend to lose interest in a series, even if the plot is exciting, if the books are poorly written. I mean, I might as well read a wiki summary of a series. There were some awkward passages of exposition, though they were mostly earlier in the book.

Lila is probably one of the few truly badass heroines I've encountered in fantasy. She could be impetuous, but I never thought of her as foolish even though she willingly inserted herself into these seemingly impossible situations. It's refreshing to meet a female character who's actually brave as opposed to too-stupid-to-understand-the-risks.

(view spoiler)