Sci-Fi & Fantasy Girlz discussion

Science Fiction > Star Wars

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yoly (new)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 792 comments I can't believe that we still haven't discussed the new The Force Awakens trailer (or maybe I missed it?).

Have you guys seen the latest trailer? What do you think, are you excited?

I'm particularly excited about the new movie and the new Battlefront game.

In case you haven't seen the second trailer for the movie here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElk...

And here's a trailer for the new game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLaoi...

message 2: by Marina (new)

Marina Finlayson | 62 comments I'm hopeful, but after the disappointment of the prequel trilogy, I'm not feeling excited. That way I can be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be great!

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 657 comments Why not also talk about the news about the first openly LESBIAN character in the Imperial era, Moff Delia?

message 4: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) | 156 comments Bout time! And I for one am excited, mainly because I feel like this is what the prequels should have been! Star Wars, as done by people besides Lucas. The man was visionary and did give us the main elements of the original trilogy. But he had help in bringing it to life and was assisted by countless people since who expanded the universe and gave it continuity and development.

Somehow, he forgot all that and became convinced he alone was responsible for the thing and that his opinion over where it should go was the only one that mattered. I for one am glad he sold the rights and stopped with that whole "I am the creator," crap.

message 5: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 657 comments Thank you, Matthew.

message 6: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments I generally try to avoid trailers. They don't seem to do much for the actual movie one way or another. More often than not, trailers are produced to try to cover up with weaknesses of a film, meaning they edit together the snippets that have the least to do with the overall story and present that to draw in folks who wouldn't normally buy a ticket.

However, it's impossible not to at least see stills or snippets of this one. It could be good. I have more faith in J.J. Abrams as a Star Wars director than Star Trek.... In fact, I have more faith in him than in Lucas at this point.

In any case, I'm not a person who'll spend a few nights sleeping on the sidewalk to get a ticket, but I'll see a Star Wars film sooner rather than later. At this point there's an awful lot of Star Wars material out there. It's mostly computer animated "children's television" stuff, but where we were all starved for material in the 70's there's a real glut now. So, the hype is more whipped up by the ads than the fans.

I don't actually own this T-shirt: http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-78359274...

But I relate to the sentiment.

message 7: by Amber (last edited Apr 28, 2015 03:45PM) (new)

Amber Martingale | 657 comments I LOVE trailers, Gary. Sometimes they are the best part of the movie... . This trailer shows what I hope will be a good movie! (I know, I know it's NOT STAR WARS but it does look fun) http://mysteryreadersinc.blogspot.com...

As for your remarks about more faith in JJ Abrams than in Lucas: Hear! Hear! At this point I'd have more faith in a particle of the HIV/AIDS virus than in Lucas!

That said, not even the most die hard STAR WARS fans in Belleville will bother camping out. Why? Too damned cold since the movie comes out at Christmas.

message 8: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments I knew a guy who spent a month or two on the sidewalk in front of the Chinese Theater for Episode 1. "Best time of my life!" he insisted. I spent the night on the sidewalk for Pink Floyd tickets once, and that pretty much cured my need to express my fandom on pavement. But, hey, one person's cold, hard cement is another's feather bed I guess.

message 9: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 657 comments LOL. Interesting point.

What did you think of the trailer?

message 10: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments I haven't seen the whole trailer. I've only seen bits of it. It looks good as far as costumes and characters go.

message 11: by Amber (last edited Apr 28, 2015 04:33PM) (new)

Amber Martingale | 657 comments I think our wires are crossed, Gary. I was asking about the trailer I posted...the one I apologized to you guys about since it wasn't a STAR WARS trailer. The one about Sir Ian McKellen as a 93 year old Sherlock Holmes.

message 12: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1470 comments Oh, that one. Well, like I said, I generally avoid trailers, so I didn't watch it. The blurb looks amusing, though. McKellen is usually trustworthy--meaning the movies he's in are usually worth the time/effort.

message 13: by Yoly (new)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 792 comments Saw this post this morning, a little data/computer security humor related to Star Wars.

"Most experts will advise you that if you want to hide someone as important as the son of Anakin Skywalker, you shouldn't have him use the Skywalker last name. With all due respect, if Obi Wan Kenobi wants to go into hiding, the name Ben Kenobi is a rather poor attempt at cloaking his identity."

I mean, come on, that's a no brainer, right?

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/empire...

message 14: by Yoly (new)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 792 comments Amber wrote: "I LOVE trailers, Gary. Sometimes they are the best part of the movie... . This trailer shows what I hope will be a good movie! (I know, I know it's NOT STAR WARS but it does look fun) ..."

WOW that movie looks awesome.
I have never read any Sherlock Holmes books, and didn't care too much for the new movies (don't know why because I'm a big Robert Downey Jr. fan) and have only watched two episodes of the Cumberbatch series but this movie I want to see as soon as it comes out.

message 15: by Amber (last edited Apr 30, 2015 09:56AM) (new)

Amber Martingale | 657 comments Gary: I saw a televised version of one of his performances as King Lear on PBS' series GREAT PERFORMANCES and It was OK but I honestly don't really care for Shakespeare much, except "The Scottish Play." Sir Ian, that is.

Yoly: Yeah, it really IS a "no brainer." If you want to start reading the Holmes stories, I'd actually start with E.J Wagner's book THE SCIENCE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... and then read A STUDY IN SCARLET.

message 16: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) | 156 comments Amber wrote: "Thank you, Matthew."

Your welcome, Amber. I take it you agree with my little diatribe there?

message 17: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 657 comments Yep. That's why I said it.

The wait is worth it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa2fE...

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

If you love Star Wars you love Star Wars and I love Star Wars. The new trailer has me so excites, there are so many marathons i need to go on for up coming movies, Star Wars, The Terminator, all the individual Avengers movies as well as Avengers for Age of Ultron movie. Man books movies how do i find time for all this and breath.

message 19: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 657 comments Good question, Janis.