What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Heroine has a boyfriend/serious relationship

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophie (BlameChocolate) *on hiatus* (last edited Apr 22, 2015 02:18PM) (new)

Sophie (BlameChocolate) *on hiatus* (blamechocolate) | 94 comments I'm tired of reading about girls finding romance or new loves.

I want a story about a girl who already has a boyfriend/is in a serious relationship and remains in it at least for the most part of the book (no girl-leaves-boyfriend-for-new-love kind of story, or if she does, she gets back with the boyfriend afterwards).

If there is a compelling plot too, all the better! I'm particularly fond of fantasy, adventure and sci-fi. If the boyfriend plays an important role in the story, bonus points!

Thank you so much.

message 2: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (hydrolagus) | 94 comments Dunno how you feel about YA fantasy, but in the series that starts with Shiver the girl and boy have been in love but kept apart by circumstance for the 7 years prior to the story. It's still sort of finding romance since it's the first time they have been able to be together and they are discovering each other. I'll see my brain will relinquish anything more solidly in the has-relationship category.

Sophie (BlameChocolate) *on hiatus* (blamechocolate) | 94 comments Teresa wrote: "Dunno how you feel about YA fantasy, but in the series that starts with Shiver the girl and boy have been in love but kept apart by circumstance for the 7 years prior to the story. ..."

I thought I had replied to you, so sorry! Thanks for the suggestion, it's close to what I want but not quite... Yet I found the plot appealing enough to want to read it anyway!

message 4: by Eliene (new)

Eliene | 38 comments Parasite by Mira Grant has a boyfriend who sticks around from beginning to end and plays an important role. It's a science fiction / medical thriller with something like zombies in it. Fair warning though, it's not for the squeamish haha

message 5: by Sara ♥ (last edited Jun 08, 2015 09:09AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 141 comments YA? Adult?

I love the In Death series by J.D. Robb. The first book is Naked in Death. It's a futuristic police procedural series. The main character is a New York murder cop.

Anyway, the series STARTS with woman (reluctantly) finding love, but they get married by the end of book 3, then books 4-40 (and it's still going), they're together and DEFINITELY working together to solve the murder cases together. Plus, there's all the fantastic secondary characters who all find steady relationships (with varying levels of drama leading up to them, but they're secondary)....

Sophie (BlameChocolate) *on hiatus* (blamechocolate) | 94 comments Eliene wrote: "Parasite by Mira Grant has a boyfriend who sticks around from beginning to end and plays an important role. It's a science fiction / medical thriller with something like zombies in it. Fair warning..."

That's exactly what I wanted, thanks! ^^

Sara ♥ wrote: "YA? Adult?

I love the In Death series by J.D. Robb. The first book is Naked in Death. It's a futuristic police procedural series. The main character is a New York murder cop.

Anyway..."

Eliene wrote: "Parasite by Mira Grant has a boyfriend who sticks around from beginning to end and plays an important role. It's a science fiction / medical thriller with something like zombies in it. Fair warning..."

It looks great from your description! Will definitely try it out :)

message 7: by Michelle °O° (new)

Michelle °O° | 154 comments How about a women that is already married Arsen: A Broken Love Story

Sophie (BlameChocolate) *on hiatus* (blamechocolate) | 94 comments Michelle °O° wrote: "How about a women that is already married Arsen: A Broken Love Story"

I would like a story where they're happy together, in a happy relationship, which this book is clearly not about... But thanks anyway :)

message 9: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 126 comments The House Next Door The husband and wife are pretty happily married through the whole book. It's kind of haunted house.

message 10: by J. (new)

J. (mamalaoshi) | 56 comments WHISPER by Chris Struyk-Bonn is a great book about a society that kills or abandons anyone with a disability. The main character has a boyfriend she grows up with. They are separated (by location) for part of the book but stay together in the end of the book. You can read it as a future dystopian book but it also could be set currently in a third world country. Time and location are never named.

Sophie (BlameChocolate) *on hiatus* (blamechocolate) | 94 comments J. wrote: "WHISPER by Chris Struyk-Bonn is a great book about a society that kills or abandons anyone with a disability. The main character has a boyfriend she grows up with. They are separated (by location) ..."

Grace wrote: "The House Next Door The husband and wife are pretty happily married through the whole book. It's kind of haunted house."

Thank you both for your recommendations, they seem to be what I'm looking for! :)

message 13: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 591 comments This is historical mystery but Vienna Waltz features a happily married couple (Suzanne and Malcom).

Good fantasy/vaguely medievalesque world -- Raven's Shadow and its sequel Raven's Strike - heroine is with husband. (To be fair she meets him in a rather long prologue, but that's just to set up the story, otherwise she's a strong character with some power.

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38235 comments Mod
So you want a happy relationship.

Does it matter if it's a boyfriend or a husband?

Does the woman have to be under a certain age?

Sophie (BlameChocolate) *on hiatus* (blamechocolate) | 94 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "So you want a happy relationship.

Does it matter if it's a boyfriend or a husband?

Does the woman have to be under a certain age?"

It doesn't have to be all roses, but I do prefer happy endings (meaning, they can have problems along the way, even break up at some point, but they work it out towards the end). I don't mind if they're not fairy tale like, as those can get boring soon, but not totally wrecked either.

Boyfriend or husband, it's fine either way. I would prefer something YA or at least concerning a young couple (mid-twenties); they would be the same age, or at least approximate. But if it's not possible, then it's ok too :)

Jenna wrote: "This is historical mystery but Vienna Waltz features a happily married couple (Suzanne and Malcom).

Good fantasy/vaguely medievalesque world -- Raven's Shadow and its ..."

Both sound great and what I was looking for! I love fantasy and historical :)

message 19: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38235 comments Mod
Normal bump period is 30 days...

Sophie (BlameChocolate) *on hiatus* (blamechocolate) | 94 comments I'm sorry, Lobstergirl, I thought it was 24 hours... My mistake, won't happen again :)