It It discussion

Upcoming film adaptation

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Todd Zack They are now in production of a cinematic version of 'IT', to be released in two parts, both full length films. I've always thought that this would be the ONLY way to do justice to this epic novel. Any thoughts on casting? Also, what scenes from the book do you think would be indispensable to the film adaptation, and what scenes from the book do you think could (or should) be omitted?

Laura Herzlos I just finished this book, so it's still not fully "digested" in my brain. But I tell you this: it should totally keep the constant back-and-forth between the fifties and the eighties, if they make those decades be the ones.

As much as I'm usually a big defender of sex and sexual content, I would remove the sex scene of the kids, and replace it with a more inclusive and mutual scene of love and intimacy between all children.

I'm not well up-to-date for the casting, but I can't wait to see it!

message 3: by Brooklyn (last edited Apr 24, 2015 02:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brooklyn Ann I'd heard that they were going to change the timeline to the 80's for the kids and 2000's for the adults. That could be awesome... or an epic failure.

Scenes I want: The Leper, the dead boys in the standpipe, The house on Neibolt Street, the side plots of Eddie Corcoran and Patrick Hockstetter (sp?). And flashbacks of the past manifestations of IT, ESPECIALLY the fire at the Black House.

Scenes they should leave out: Sewer sex (obviously), Grown-up Bill and Bev getting it on (aside from the infidelity, I hate that Bev ends up symbolized as a magic hoo-ha that empowers the guys), The Paul Bunyan statue... because I think that would only be corny on the screen.

As for casting, I had wanted Robin Williams to play Pennywise, but that's no longer an option. :(

I'm now leaning to Robert Englund because he'd be scary as f*ck in a clown costume.

And if Seth Green played grown-up Richie, that would be awesome. BEEP BEEP!

I've read this book 13 times. IT is my absolute favorite. And although I know it's impossible to do it justice on the screen, I still can't wait to see it.

message 4: by Matt (last edited Apr 26, 2015 02:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt Williams Yes they are changing the timeline to 80's - 2000's . . . Personally I recon it will damage the tone of the film; but that's just me. Honestly, I'm not too keen on there being a remake, one film was enough . . . let the book live on in peace now.

As it's still going forward, I'll go on. Honestly, I haven't put to much thought into it yet. Robert Englund would be alright I suppose. Someone mentioned Steve Buscemi as Pennywise. I laughed at the idea but the more I thought about it the more I could actually see it. He does have a strange, zany, yet often creepy vibe about him. Or what about Gary Oldman?

Honestly, I'd like to just go ahead and slate the whole remake but . . . I'll refrain and wait until I've seen it to pass judgement.

Brooklyn Ann Ooh, I never though of Steve Buscemi before, but now that I remember him in Con Air, my mind is turning.

Gary Oldman is also a viable choice!

As I've said before, I have ZERO hope of them matching the tone or magic of the book, but I've ALWAYS wanted to see what could be accomplished on the big screen with an R rating.. and it damn well be rated R or I'm going to be severely disappointed!

Matt Williams Haha, Yes that is true. Lets just hope they make it as dark, twisted and seedy as possible . . . they'll for sure ruin the magic but maybe they can at least make something really horrible and disturbing for us to watch :D

Brooklyn Ann ^That is my logic. 'Tis why I'm a horror movie buff.

Matt Williams Haha. I just tend to write horrible stuff . . . suppose that just makes me, 'a horror' ? Sounds about right.

Laura Herzlos Steve Buscemi YES GOOD (when you first mentioned it, I totally pictured him in Con Air talking to that kid). I suck at fancasting... The whole book I pictured Mike as a young Denzel Washington and Bill as some sort of older Jude Law.

What I enjoyed the least about this -first- reading of It, was the treatment of Beverly. She's always so beautiful and good-at-all without knowing and without trying... I understand that in many occasions, what we see is how the other kids saw her, but we also see her through her own eyes. Her depictions started pulling me out of the immersion and making me roll my eyes at some points. I think there's opportunity to turn her into a far more interesting character on the film. I hope they take it.

message 10: by Todd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Todd Zack Brooklyn wrote: "I'd heard that they were going to change the timeline to the 80's for the kids and 2000's for the adults. That could be awesome... or an epic failure.

Scenes I want: The Leper, the dead boys in th..."

I think they'd have to change the timeline from 60's to 80's for the kids. If only for this reason; people (viewers of the film) need to believe from the beginning that IT (Pennywise) exists in the present day; otherwise the threat of evil seems removed in time, and everyone can say to themselves from the very beginning of the film, 'Oh, okay. We know now that the problem was already resolved in the 80's.' Either that or tag a coda to the end of the movie where IT returns in the present day, which actually IT would be considering the 27 year cycle mentioned in the book!!!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* Todd wrote: "They are now in production of a cinematic version of 'IT', to be released in two parts, both full length films. I've always thought that this would be the ONLY way to do justice to this epic novel...."

I hope it works out this time.

I never understood the theory before - taking a very long book that has a dark, creepy theme - to make it a waterered down safe for TV movie. Who came up with that brainless idea?

But just as a movie doesn't promise it will do well. So many people who direct horror just don't have patience or talent anymore. I'll be crossing my fingers.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* Matt wrote: "Yes they are changing the timeline to 80's - 2000's . . . Personally I recon it will damage the tone of the film; but that's just me. Honestly, I'm not too keen on there being a remake, one film wa..."

I don't like remakes in general, but for IT I always make an exception since it never received the treatment it deserved the first time out.

I have no idea who would be good with casting, though.

message 13: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited Apr 29, 2015 06:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* Brooklyn wrote: "I'd heard that they were going to change the timeline to the 80's for the kids and 2000's for the adults. That could be awesome... or an epic failure.

Scenes I want: The Leper, the dead boys in th..."

People will get impatient with too many flashbacks, but they were the creepiest parts of the book! Especially the armpit bite/story - shivers. We really just need a great director, that's what worries me most.

I love Robert Englund, but don't think he would fit the part of Pennywise at all. He's known for his Freddy voice so don't see him changing his voice for another role without reminding people of that.

message 14: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt Williams Spot on Brooklyn; for sure the director is the most important key in all this. But we don't just need a director, we need a director who already has a vision, someone who's read the book and truly cares about it like all of us here do. Hopefully he's out there and they find him, otherwise the film is in trouble.

Steve Busecemi or Gary Oldman for Pennywise.

Terri Apparently Will Poulter has been casted as pennywise

http://www.hitfix.com/the-dartboard/i...

message 16: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt Williams It's is true, he does have they eyebrows for it.

Brooklyn Ann I spent all day yesterday pondering this and I remain cautiously optimistic. It seemed the kid blew away the director with the audition.

I'm still leery about his youth, but I did think of one benefit to it (aside from him having the energy to work his butt off to REALLY play the role).

In the books the Losers constantly make parallels between IT and Henry Bowers. Maybe that could be played up in the film.

Also, with makeup and costume, it'll be harder to discern his age.

Again, I am crossing my fingers that this kid pulls it off.

message 18: by Matt (last edited May 05, 2015 02:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt Williams I agree! I actually think he'll nail it. From what I've seen of him in 'We're the Millers' he does have a strange and could be very creepy energy about him. Exaggerate that, slap on some make up, laugh like a madman and show off those gorgeous eyebrows and we should be alright.

Brooklyn Ann Now on to daily google-stalking for announcements for the rest of the cast!

message 20: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt Williams Yep yep!

message 21: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. Purkiss I think that the new IT film will be amazing, especially what they can do with special FX now that they couldn't when the original was out. Really looking forward to it. My only hope is that it stays more true to the book than the first one did.

Jason Burghardt This is an overrated book. The main reason for this is that King committed a cardinal sin of storytelling. He let the reader down with his villain, and he did it by building the villain up so that in no way could it live up to the reader's expectations. Once you see what "IT" is, you are let down, because your imagination has been conjuring up the worst, most vicious thing in the universe, and there is no way that any writer can compete with that. And once you find out what "IT" is, the ending is anti-climactic and rather boring.

I admit the story along the way is fun, but a great villain should go out in grand style. Unless you can improve upon "IT", and give the ending some juice, best not even make another cruddy movie version.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

It (other topics)