SE Reading Buffs 6th hour discussion

Divergent (Divergent, #1)
This topic is about Divergent
Divergent

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tatyana (new)

Tatyana Dieatrick | 3 comments The book I chose to read was Divergent written by Veronica Roth a fictional action book. Divergent tells the story about a sixteen year old girl named Beatrice living in a dystopian Chicago area and every year at the age of sixteen, these teens go through several aptitude tests to see to which faction they go for the rest of their lives. After completing the tests they have four choices to determine where they shall go in a ceremony. The four choices are Erudite, Candor, Abnegation and Dauntless, but not all of these teens choose their path and end up faction-less.

After Beatrice’s aptitude test she finds out that she is a Divergent, people who are different and think more than other’s that are threats also rebels to the government and are either killed or faction-less due to the possible threats of them changing the government. Beatrice chooses Dauntless and goes through many dangerous situations to be a part of the faction as of Dauntless being a military faction, going through rough training and trying to fit in and not reveal that she is a possible threat as a Divergent. By the end of her training they go through different stages of tests to prove that they belong into the faction.

I would definitely recommend this book to others as well as older adults. Beatrice becoming who she really is as a Divergent shows the uniqueness of her character. The book includes a lot of action within her training as well dealing with the government which closely keeps an eye on Beatrice. If you think you are interested in this brief review go and read the book to see if you agree as well.

message 2: by Shamya (new)

Shamya | 3 comments From reading your review and watching this movie, i think you did you good job explaining this book and not giving away all the key points to it. I enjoyed reading this because, it explains how Beatrice finally discovers who she is as a person. In my opinion i think that Beatrice i a powerful symbol for bravery and persistence. I say persistence because during her training she always ended up on the bottom of the list, but she didn't stop she kept going until she made it above the drop line. I also said bravery because when she found out she was a divergent and that the government would be after her she remained calm. when it came down to protecting herself she used the skills she learned from training to protect herself. just from reading this review i think that i might actually read this book.