What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > historical fiction - heroine learns to run a household or estate - any subgenre

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments Hi everyone! I'm looking for books that have a heroine who has to learn to run a large household or estate, and who has not been brought up for such a task. I'm thinking something like the Nan storyline in The Buccaneers. I love historical fiction, but it does not need to be any particular time period or subgenre (romance, fantasy, paranormal, whatever).

Thanks!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39287 comments Mod
I just finished The Buccaneers!

If you haven't already read Gone with the Wind, that is a perfect example.

So is Rebecca.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments I haven't finished The Buccaneers yet but know the miniseries well. :-) I have read both of those but thanks for the suggestions! Those are the types of examples I'm thinking of.

message 4: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1225 comments Since you said fantasy is ok you might try The Wind-Witch by Susan Dexter, much of the story is taken up with the heroine trying to run her farm after her husband dies without letting anyone find out he is gone, if she can do it alone for a year without being discovered or being unable to pay her taxes she gets to keep it. Otherwise it reverts to somebody else and she has to remarry. It's not so much 'not brought up to the task' as 'suddenly everything is on her alone when much of it wasn't her job before' if that would work for you. Involves a lot of details (I thought they were really interesting) about growing flax and preparing it for use, raising sheep and livestock, farming, etc. Plus some stuff with magic powers and raiders and whatnot.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments Aerulan wrote: "Since you said fantasy is ok you might try The Wind-Witch by Susan Dexter, much of the story is taken up with the heroine trying to run her farm after her husband dies without letting..."

Thanks, that looks good! I read all genres and love fantasy too so it's all good.

message 6: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 274 comments One significant segment of Outlander has our heroine returning to her husband's estate and seeing what it takes to run it, while imagining herself as the lady. Right where we are in the TV series now. Not the whole book however.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments Hillary wrote: "One significant segment of Outlander has our heroine returning to her husband's estate and seeing what it takes to run it, while imagining herself as the lady. Right where we are in t..."

Thanks! I have read Outlander, but that portion is also a good example of what I'm looking for. :-) I appreciate all suggestions though!

message 8: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments You might like The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton. A lot of the story was about a new wife learning how to run her household.

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments Joseph wrote: "You might like The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton. A lot of the story was about a new wife learning how to run her household."

Thanks! That looks really interesting.

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments Here's a couple I have come across and enjoyed since posting this: A Civil Contract and The Savage Marquess

message 11: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 2 comments By Crumb, It's Mine by Patricia Beatty has the young heroine setting up and running her own hotel during a gold rush...

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments That looks fun, thanks!

message 13: by Krystal (last edited Jun 15, 2015 11:10AM) (new)

Krystal (00krystal) | 132 comments There's a bit of that happening in book two of the All Souls trilogy - Shadow of Night. It's not a major theme, but you get to follow along as the main character has to learn how to be a 16th century woman, as a wife and head of household, similar to the Outlander story line.

message 14: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1136 comments You might enjoy In This House of Brede, by Rumer Godden. Among its characters is a nun who becomes the Mother Superior of a monastery. In This House of Brede

message 15: by Alma (new)

Alma | 30 comments Flowers From the Storm is a good one. I really enjoyed it.

message 16: by Alma (new)

Alma | 30 comments http://www.amazon.com/Flowers-Storm-L...

Here's an Amazon link. It's got the story description.

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments Krystal wrote: "There's a bit of that happening in book two of the All Souls trilogy - Shadow of Night. It's not a major theme, but you get to follow along as the main character has to learn how to..."

Thanks! I have read the first book of that trilogy, but not the second. I'll try it out.

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments Pamela wrote: "You might enjoy In This House of Brede, by Rumer Godden. Among its characters is a nun who becomes the Mother Superior of a monastery. In This House of Brede"

That looks really intriguing! Thanks!

message 19: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments Alma wrote: "http://www.amazon.com/Flowers-Storm-L...

Here's an Amazon link. It's got the story description."

Thank you! I read that book very recently and did enjoy it. It has set me on a Kinsale reading spree, but I'm trying to pace myself. :-)

message 20: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1136 comments My husband suggests Bleak House, by Charles Dickens.
Bleak House

message 21: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments Pamela wrote: "My husband suggests Bleak House, by Charles Dickens.
Bleak House"

Thanks! I will add it to my TBR.

message 22: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah | 47 comments Angels Watching Over Me is the first in a series of two civil war orphan girls. One had been a slave; the other had been the daughter of a plantation owner. They work together to keep things going and to try to keep townsfolk from knowing that it's only the two of them there.

message 23: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments Rebekah wrote: "Angels Watching Over Me is the first in a series of two civil war orphan girls. One had been a slave; the other had been the daughter of a plantation owner. They work together to keep..."

Looks interesting...thanks!

message 24: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39287 comments Mod
Far From the Madding Crowd. Bathsheba Everdene inherits a farm and has to learn how to run it.

message 25: by Jody (new)

Jody | 96 comments Never Seduce a Scot by Maya Banks. A daughter of a lord but never taught lessons to run her own keep.

message 26: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments @jody, thanks!

message 27: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments @lobstergirl, thanks! I love Hardy’s writing but have to be in the right mood for his plots. I’ll add to my TBR!