Crux (Nexus, #2)
This topic is about Crux
Nexus > Crux Chapters 21-40

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Crux chapters 21-40

message 2: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments OK, so in the previous discussion thread I was wondering how Kade was able to connect to the brain of a nexus user across the world, and what kind of networking technologies were being used.

As Rob hinted at, we get a glimpse of what is involved when Kade is pondering over why his agents only reported the coercion code moments before each attack, when they had discovered the code a week earlier.

The explanation given is that the nexus os was offline - the bootloader was installed, but the OS wasn't booted, or something to that effect. The Nexus OS boot is triggered it seems by Breece sending a signal to their cell phone.

It also appears that Nexus traffic can get out if you 'tether' your nexus os to your cell phone, giving you permanent access to the net. It appears his agents are able to lie dormant in a particular node, wait for net access or another nexus user in short range radio contact, and jump point to point till they make it onto the net and back to kade.

But I wonder - lag gets bad enough at home playing a random FPS. For Kade to be able to control a person, his thoughts, grabbing/not grabbing a gun, etc, in real time, you gotta have some extremely low latency :)

Also, last thread I mentioned advertisements beamed to the brain not playing a prominent role - but we see this now once Kade makes it to Saigon.

Anywhoo, still working through this section.

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
One would hope that 20+ years from now the bandwidth of mobile devices will be a lot better than right now.

I think at this point you're poking holes to poke holes. It's not realistic, but still falls into the plausible territory as far as I'm concerned.

This is nowhere close to how ridiculous that FreedomTM got..

message 4: by Sky (last edited Apr 26, 2015 09:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Rob wrote: "This is nowhere close to how ridiculous that FreedomTM got.."

Totally agree there!

I think at this point you're poking holes to poke holes.

I'm not trying to poke holes to poke holes, just having fun trying to reason out how it would work. All this falls well within the range of my plausible believability as far as SF goes.

message 5: by Sky (last edited Apr 26, 2015 09:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Now you've done it Rob!

I started geeking out on what the minimum theoretical latency would be.

The distance, from say San Francisco to Thailand is 12,516km.

Assuming you were operating at the the speed of light (fiber operates at ~60% the speed of light), the minimum round-trip ping time would be 12,516/(300*10^6) * 2 = 82.72ms.

But then I started thinking well that distance is what, assuming you are travelling hugging the curvature of the earth? And in our case this wouldn't be a physical landline connection but probably wireless. So then you've got to figure out at what altitude the satellite is orbiting at, calculate distance from point a to satellite to point b (which given it is a triangle, should be greater than the straight line distance between the two points, but less so given the curvature of the earth.

Then I just googled for theoretical limits of mobile traffic, and found this, which claims that 5G in 2020 and beyond will have sub 1ms latency, and just gave up :P

http://5gnews.org/latency-5g-legacy-4g

message 6: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Rofl

Robyn | 150 comments It made my brain hurt, in a good way.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Robyn wrote: "It made my brain hurt, in a good way."

cosigned