Eco-fiction discussion

The Forester
This topic is about The Forester
EcoFiction Book Promotion

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

James Kraus | 7 comments Hello,
My question is, how does an author promote an EcoFiction Book? I would like to hear about your methods, experiences, frustrations & successes on doing this.
James Kraus

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Brunais (goodreadscomandrea_brunais) | 13 comments I arranged a reading at a committee meeting of the Sierra Club in one of the cities relevant to my plot. It was one of my best events judging by percentage of people who bought books.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

The standard methods of book promotion suffice for ecofiction as well. There may be some unique sources for promotions, such as the Earth First! Journal, Outside, High Country News, Mother Earth News, Orion, etc. Several take short fiction and essays that can be derived from a novel.

No better time than the present time to crank out your econovels and short stories. There's a growing interest in things environmental.

message 4: by Annis (last edited Apr 23, 2015 12:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annis Pratt | 8 comments James wrote: "Hello,
My question is, how does an author promote an EcoFiction Book? I would like to hear about your methods, experiences, frustrations & successes on doing this.
James Kraus"

I have two self-published eco-fiction novels and two looking for an agent, so I'm starting my promotion with all all-out platform construction. I'm setting up an author page on Facebook, improving my web, developing lists of contacts,getting onto Twitter, and tooling up my blog. My daughter, an expert on Platforms, says that everything else is like building a bicycle and not pedalling it. What she means is that the "pedalling" part consists in writing three 250 word blogs a week and being sure to have links to them throughout your platform. Maybe two a week for me, but we shall see...

James Kraus | 7 comments Thanks for those suggestions & I am doing some of them. James K

Annis Pratt | 8 comments Let me know how it goes. It's going to take us a while to set my Facebook/Web/Twitter etc interface up so that all of the links are coherent.

James Kraus | 7 comments OK, I will keep in touch. Right now we are buying a house in Redmond, OR, so that will take up a lot of time. Once I get settled I will try some Book Giveaways & maybe an event.
James K

Annis Pratt | 8 comments I am very close to launching my platform now. One idea came up when, by mistake, I posted environmental calls for action to my new facebook author page. I realized that I can combine my two interests, promoting my eco-fiction novel and environmental activism, into the Facebook page by including calls for action. This feels very holistic, though the web site itself is devoted to just my writing.

message 9: by John (new)

John Yunker (johnyunker) | 9 comments I think you'll end up developing multiple strategies depending on the audience. Your core audience may be those who are already aware and/or passionate about your issues. You won't have to explain "why" your book is relevant to them as much as simply make them aware of it. I do recommend working with nonprofits and donating copies to use for fundraising purposes. You can also offer them for orgs to resell at a significant discount.

Next you have readers who may be completely unaware of the issue you're writing about. This is probably a considerably larger audience but quite a bit more challenging to reach. You might start to targeting readers who love the genre your book fits within. If your book isn't out yet, I recommend giving out early review copies via LibraryThing.

As one who is both a writer and publisher of eco-fiction, it can be challenging to get the word out, but do take the long view. Also, I do recommend this book, which includes tips for promotion without burning yourself out along the way

Everyday Book Marketing Promotion Ideas to Fit Your Regularly Scheduled Life by Midge Raymond

James Kraus | 7 comments The Forester
Thank you for those recent suggestions.
James Kraus

Annis Pratt | 8 comments I commented previously that I was promoting my Eco-Fiction series by building a "Platform" using Michael Hyatt's Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World. Well, after a summer of tweeking this and that, I launched it this week via www.annispratt.com. Check it out and see if you think this kind of thing might work for you. The main thing is that the web site itself is like a bicycle: in order to "ride" it you have to publish a blog at least once a week.

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Eisenmeier (carpelibrumbooks) | 3 comments James wrote: "Hello,
James Kraus"

I know a couple who owns a small press that focused on nature, the environment, animals, etc. It's probably 75% eco-fiction or animals, but they do publish some non-fiction. They also have a book blog for eco lit books. Some are books published by their press, some aren't.
https://www.ecolitbooks.com/