SE Reading Buffs 4th hour discussion

Gary Paulsen
This topic is about Gary Paulsen
The River

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 3 comments The exciting action novel, The River by Gary Paulsen, takes one on a suspenseful adventure through true survival. The main character Brian, really pulled me into the story by his bravery and maturity. The River is the sequel to, Hatchet, where Brain is asked to voluntarily go back into the wilderness on an organized survival mission. With the help of a physiologist, Derek, the trip seems easy at first, but takes a riveting turn for the worse.

I absolutely loved this book, even though it’s been four years since I read, Hatchet, but never less, a great story. The novel provides action, adventure, and an unforgettable plot twist. I highly recommend this book to all ages. Brain expresses important lessons such as, doing the right thing even though it may be hard and never giving up. Derek, although a beginner in survival, plays a major part in the story with his intellectual ability and mental knowledge. Although the book is short and a fairly easy reading level, that does not take away from the fact that the men are in an adult situation. I found it hard to put this book down for even a second and wish to read the next book in the series, called Brian’s Winter.

I would recommend this book to anyone that loves an exciting adventure novel. The book mainly focuses on survival and I learned a thing or two while reading it. Never less, I believe anyone would enjoy this book.

message 2: by Tianna (new)

Tianna L.Reed | 3 comments This sounds interesting. it seems that Brains is a very responsible person. So is this like survival of the fittest? and is Derek the little brother of Brain? This sounds like a TV show that comes on that shows how people would survive for thousands of dollars. Although i wouldn't be able to do it because I'm not a outdoor person. I don't know one thing that pertains to the wild and what to eat and what not to eat.

message 3: by Evelina (new)

Evelina Le | 3 comments I have heard of the book Hatchet and how good it was. This book sounds legit. It looks like Derek is actually the one teaching the lessons in this book and Brian is somewhat following his lead? I would love to read this book sometime because I like action and adventure. I agree with Tianna the book sounds like the TV show. Every good book has a little twist.

message 4: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Gallina | 3 comments I appreciate the directness of this review. It really inspires me to check this book out-- and perhaps continue onto the third book. Survival stories are incredibly intriguing. I have read the first book to the series, Hatchet, and absolutely loved it. I have high hopes for the second one!