Book Lair discussion

Buddy Reads > The Troop - April 23 - ?

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Hey Andrew, let's get this ball rolling. :D

message 2: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Maybe I'll put my book club book on hold and start this. I'll only get to read in drabs until Monday, but I'll try to catch up. Let me know what you think as you go. I'm not anal about spoilers, but maybe you can hide super spoilers?

message 3: by Ana (new)

Ana (anaslair) | 2312 comments Mod
So you guys started this already?
I totally forgot to do this for The Bone Wall, but I will now put this book in the group as currently reading. Have fun!

message 4: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Ana wrote: "So you guys started this already?
I totally forgot to do this for The Bone Wall, but I will now put this book in the group as currently reading. Have fun!"

Andrew started already, but I haven't. I plan on starting this afternoon.

Do you own this, Ana? If so, we'd love to have you join!

message 5: by Ana (new)

I don't, sorry :/
Even if I ordered it now, I wouldn't be on time to join this.
:(

message 6: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I bought the ebook so it would be instant. I have a self inflicted ban on buying new books until I read some of those I already own, but I really have wanted to read this for a long time. This is a mulligan.

;)

message 7: by Ana (new)

Same here, too many on hold to buy new ones... I will most likely be buying a couple cause I have a bookdepository coupon that expires on the 30th.

Anyway, I will leave you to it, have fun!

message 8: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Page 22. First thoughts, do you think the image (assuming there is one in your copy) above each chapter number is a lightning bolt or a series of veins?

I had no idea it was going to be about a Boy Scout troop! Awesome! Has a feeling of King's Dreamcatcher in that regard, as far as the group of close knit boys into men goes. Very young, almost men in this case.

That guy in article one - The Hungry Man - nasty!!!!

I have to go to work now, so won't read anymore until tonight.

message 9: by Elder Prince (last edited Apr 22, 2015 08:15PM) (new)

Elder Prince (elder_prince) | 24 comments I just started to read The Troop too :) Currently page 20 (chapter 3). Oddly enough, I think Stephen King have never written a single line about boy scouts and weekend camps, which have some kind of association with horror.

Anyone can remind me how buddy-reading works? So, we just read a the book at the same time and share comments here, that's it? Or does it have anything to do with telepathy?

(I'm unsure if Goodreads have actually implemented a buddy read feature via their website.)

message 10: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Just got to page 46. I wanted to read as soon as I got off work, but life got in the way, so 5 hours later...

Elder, we just read along, at whatever pace we want to keep, generally posting where we are in the book and our thoughts so far. Especially if we think something is hinky, especially good or plain old sucks.

message 11: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I didn't mean to say King had written about a real scout troop, just that the main four (or five with Duddits) in Dreamcatcher had that vibe because they grew up together so closely. The four boys in the Body too, come to think of it.

Does your copy have the image above the titles? Do you think it's lightning or veins?

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Elder Prince (last edited Apr 23, 2015 12:59AM) (new)

Elder Prince (elder_prince) | 24 comments I thought the chapter images were lightning. I was about to mention them because I was certain I had seen them in one of SK's books. Revival, maybe?

message 13: by Elder Prince (new)

Elder Prince (elder_prince) | 24 comments Yeah I noticed the Lord of the Flies vibe too :)

message 14: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Maybe I haven't read far enough for that vibe yet. The boys still have a chaperon, albeit a sick one, where I am. I know not everyone loves this style, but I really like the insertion of news stories, etc. ala Carrie. Gives you an outside view of the situation.

message 15: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Ooh1 Haven't gotten to any diary entries yet. I can't wait! Damn jobs!

message 16: by Elder Prince (last edited Apr 24, 2015 05:17AM) (new)

Elder Prince (elder_prince) | 24 comments Page 40. Sick man broke the radio, they're in trouble now. I love it very much so far. Very well written.

message 17: by Kandice (new)

Kandice 123 - I'm to the point where I am getting the Lord of the Flies vibe. I'm also really, really getting a Dreamcatcher feel, what with the stomach parasite thingies.

(view spoiler)

The snake ball was just gross! I have a very vivid imagination and I couldn't stop thinking about it for hours.

message 18: by Elder Prince (last edited Apr 24, 2015 07:56AM) (new)

Elder Prince (elder_prince) | 24 comments Apparently you're not the only one comparing it to Dreamcatcher, Kandice. Here's a spoiler-free review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 19: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the similarities.

This getting pretty good. I wouldn't say the book is worth all the hype I've seen lately, but it's a good read.

Tim, the scout master, is a terrific character.He is responsible, but sick, and completely, internally twisted.

message 20: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Where are you guys?

I love (view spoiler)

message 21: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Andrew wrote: "I got the Dreamcatcher theme. I haven't read today or yesterday, so I'm a bit behind."

That's ok, if I don't finish tonight I need to set it aside to finish my book for book club and then pick it back up. This weekend has been too busy to get much reading done.

*sigh*

message 22: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I've been sneaking in a page here, a page there. It's very good, but in no way original. Has anyone read anything else by him?

message 23: by Elder Prince (last edited Apr 27, 2015 01:29AM) (new)

Elder Prince (elder_prince) | 24 comments I didn't get the chance to read lately (I'm terribly sorry about that), game development is keeping me busy like a bee. The only time I can read is during bedtime but I fall asleep almost immediately before I can even finish one page. How many times had my Kobo slipped from my fingers to land on my face?

Nick Cutter also wrote The Deep. Reviews seem positive but negative reviews tend to say he's ripping off other sc-fi classics very closely without bringing anything new. Somehow, I think it's difficult to come with 100% new ideas these days.

His other pseudonyms are Craig Davidson and Patrick Lestewka.

message 24: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Stephen King says there are basically 7 plots and all books are based on them, so I'm ok with non-original. This one is very cliche but still a good read.

I'm a firm believer in "It's not what you say, but how you say it."

message 25: by Elder Prince (last edited Apr 28, 2015 06:56AM) (new)

Elder Prince (elder_prince) | 24 comments I kept reading a little more yesterday night. I'm currently at page 60.

I came across a brilliant segment in the book.

BOY #1: "Who'd win in a fight: a zombie or a shark?"
BOY #2: "A Zombie, of course."
BOY #1: "I say shark. You know how sharkskin is. A zombie can't swim too well, it's rotten-ass arms flopping around."
BOY #2: "Well, if it bites the zombie's head off and swallow it, its head will be in the shark's belly and it'll still be alive and bite the shark's guts out from the inside."

Just brilliant. The Walking Dead will never explore topics like these. Nick Cutter can definitely write about kids' disturbing imagination.

message 26: by Kandice (new)

Kandice That scene reminded me of The Body. The entire tone of the book, but especially the conversation in the movie (Stand by Me) when they are trying ot figure out if Goofy is a dog.

Kids have great conversations!

message 27: by Elder Prince (last edited Apr 28, 2015 07:25AM) (new)

Elder Prince (elder_prince) | 24 comments I'm currently writing kids in my current novella, but the tone is different since they're dying children (leukemia) in a hospital.

message 28: by Kandice (new)

Kandice ala John Green?

message 29: by Elder Prince (new)

Elder Prince (elder_prince) | 24 comments John Green?

message 30: by Elder Prince (last edited Apr 28, 2015 08:31AM) (new)

Elder Prince (elder_prince) | 24 comments Oh, the guy who wrote "The Fault in Our Stars". I watched the movie recently.

I suppose "Every Bit of Us" (my upcoming novella) borrow a similar topic, but it's not going to be a romance story.

message 31: by Elder Prince (last edited Apr 28, 2015 08:32AM) (new)

Elder Prince (elder_prince) | 24 comments I've just read your review of The Fault in Our Stars, Kandice, it makes me want to read it ASAP.

Hey Andrew, what's up?

message 32: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Elder Prince wrote: "I've just read your review of The Fault in Our Stars, Kandice, it makes me want to read it ASAP.

Hey Andrew, what's up?"

I'll have to look at my review. I don't remember what I wrote!

message 33: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I had to set it aside to finish a book for group tomorrow night so you aren't too far behind me.

message 34: by Elder Prince (new)

Elder Prince (elder_prince) | 24 comments That part with the zombie vs shark seems to come from a movie...

You can read more on my status: https://www.goodreads.com/user_status...

message 35: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I finished Horns last night so will be reading this beginning today.

I hate having to set books aside!

message 36: by Kandice (new)

Kandice This is the fourth time I've read Horns and I love the book, so it was no chore to re-read for group. Here's my review:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

message 37: by Kandice (new)

Kandice So, I am about 2/3 of the way finished with The Troop. Shelley is a wack job. No way around that!

I guess these worms are just a way to tell his story. What do you guys think?

message 38: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I am almost finished and while I am enjoying the read, it isn't a very good novel for discussion. It's pretty formulaic, and with the exception of the reason for the worms introduction, in no way original. We all know what's going to happen and just read for the details.

I like books like this, but always have to be careful not to read two in a row. I'm glad one of the other books I am reading right now gives you a lot to think about because a steady diet of "junk food" books could quickly turn me into a lazy reader!

message 39: by Elder Prince (last edited May 02, 2015 03:49AM) (new)

Elder Prince (elder_prince) | 24 comments You can count on me to be a 'reliable' buddy reader once Finder Keepers is released (Stephen King have his way to make me read his work faster than other books, even when I'm insanely busy), but I guess I wasn't in the right mood to keep reading The Troop right now.

Here are two cult classic movie suggestions if you liked The Troop or Dreamcatcher: Night of the Creeps and Slither

message 40: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Slither was hilarious! I like that kind of...I don't know, "dark humor"? Is that what it is?

message 41: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Finished.

Get crackin' boys! I want to know what you think.

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Ana (new)

Hey guys, I was wondering if the last person could click on 'Bookshelf' and move the book to read when they are done?
Not sure if you have access to it so I would appreciate confirmation.
Thanks!

message 43: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I've finished, but don't think the guys have. I don't want to try until they finish.

Guys?

message 44: by Kandice (new)

Kandice *scuttles off to read Andrew's review*

message 45: by Elder Prince (new)

Elder Prince (elder_prince) | 24 comments I won't be able to finish it due to work and overtime, so you can end this buddy-read thread.

You can count on my full participation once the newest SK book is released!

message 46: by Elder Prince (last edited May 07, 2015 11:31AM) (new)

Elder Prince (elder_prince) | 24 comments I will definitely finish The Troop once I'm back on a normal work schedule. I liked very much what I've read.

message 47: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I thought it was more of a gross out kind of book than really scary. I did find the reason for the outbreak to be plausible in today's day and age.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...