What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Contemporary fiction, magical? [s]

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann Perrigo | 19 comments This is a stretch. Looking for a specific book--probably published in 2013. Contemporary fiction (maybe even chick-lit) with a magical twist. I read first chapter and would like to continue: woman at a reunion or wedding, outside, gets a phone call and learns that she has a heretofore unknown magical gift of some kind. Cover: RED. (With white, I think). Title may be "A gathering of ..." or "A Circle of..." or even "A Celebration of ..." something"
That's all I've got, but this has been driving me nuts for weeks now!

message 2: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1225 comments Maaybe A Modern Witch? Haven't read it just going by cover.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann Perrigo | 19 comments Very close, but I don't believe there was an illustration on the hardcover I picked up. It was kind of a graphic design--red and white. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann Perrigo | 19 comments This is so frustrating! I didn't get far enough into the book to know if her powers involve sorcery, or clairvoyance, or time travel, or...

message 5: by El (new)

El | 502 comments A Discovery of Witches? This edition is red with white print (though I think normally the cover is blue). Haven't read it, so don't know if the story matches. And it was also 2011, so that might be too early for what you're searching for.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann Perrigo | 19 comments Ho! Interesting that they have changed the cover of Harkness' book to red! Wonder why? I quite likes the original cover. Nope, I've read these. The one I'm looking for is probably lighter than these--more chick lit than literary fiction...

Thanks, though!

message 7: by Kris (last edited Apr 23, 2015 07:44PM) (new)

Kris | 35119 comments Mod
Kiss and Spell by Shanna Swendson?
A Little Night Magic by Lucy March?

Annscm, is the book...romance? adult or young adult?
What's her magical gift?

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann Perrigo | 19 comments Nope, not these. It's adult fiction published in hardcover by a major house, probably in 2013. I don't know if the plot takes a romantic turn, or whodunnit turn, and if I knew what her magical gift was, I wouldn't be so eager to read the book! :-)

I'll scan some more listopia lists. Since I know exactly what it looks like, that's pretty fast for me. Thanks for posting suggestions that have lead me to some potential lists!

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann Perrigo | 19 comments Still haven't found my red book! Since it's so recent, surely someone out there remembers seeing it on their library's new book shelf!

message 10: by Kris (new)

You mentioned the cover is red, with possibly white - a graphic design. What part of the cover is red (e.g., background, title, images)?

What images are on the cover? Are they photographic, hand-drawn, painted/watercolors, etc.?

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann Perrigo | 19 comments The background of the book is bright red. I believe there is no image at all--just graphic design. I'm remembering a circle--Maybe a white circle with the title in black? At this point I'm really just guessing. of course I've tried all the searches I can think of--just apparently not hitting the right keyword combinations!

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39280 comments Mod
Is it set any particular place - England, U.S., San Francisco, etc.?

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann Perrigo | 19 comments My hunch is US. I sensed an ocean--SF or New England, perhaps??

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann Perrigo | 19 comments So this is really embarrassing--especially for a librarian! I found my book. Believe it or not, I had confused it with another title that was on the New Book shelf at the same time (which wasn't even red, but blue!) The story I was seeking was The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic! Not very many of my plot points were even correct. At the suggestion of a very smart librarian friend, I picked this up, and sure enough, it was the one I wanted. If you haven't read it yet, it's a great book for fans of Deborah Harkness or Harry Potter.

message 15: by Kris (new)

No worries. Happens to the best of us. :)

The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic by Emily Croy Barker for the link.