The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Short stories worth checking out

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments All this talk about the Hugos has made me realize that for a long time, scifi was all about the short story. Now, I don't think we need to try and turn back the clock to try and make short stories more relevant, but I thought it might be fun to start a thread to share short stories that we have found particularly thought-provoking or moving or just noteworthy. I'm going to try and provide links to my selections to where they can be read for free if I know about it. Some indication to where they might be found is a plus if you can.

The one I really enjoyed lately was Mary Robinette Kowal's story about an AI supporting a police force, Kiss Me Twice. It reminds me of Rule 34, and has a similar tone and feel to Lock In. The AI seems a little like the one from the movie Her, which I have not scene. The author posted it on her blog for her birthday some time ago.

http://maryrobinettekowal.com/journal...

Kowal is known for her fantasy series, but a good many of her short stories are scifi. The Lady Astronaut of Mars made me weepy. It was hard to read as a person with an ongoing medical condition still holding out hope that one day, maybe, just maybe, I might still get to space. It can be found here:

http://www.tor.com/stories/2013/09/th...

The other one I would recommend is "Declaration" by by James Patrick Kelly. The only place I know you can find it is in the audiobook collection Rip-Off!, where a number of authors take the first lines of famous books and rewrite them into scifi or fantasy stories. The whole collection was good, but "Declaration" seemed like a totally plausible future and a more realistic idea of what immersive artificial reality might be like. As far as I know, the collection is audio only.

What short stories did you read and then wanted to share?

Thanks, Daniel K, for the inspiration.

message 2: by Daniel (last edited Apr 22, 2015 06:53AM) (new)

Daniel K | 164 comments Joanna wrote: "Thanks, Daniel K, for the inspiration. "

Hehe, i don't think this was such an exclusive idea. Looking at Hugo nominations i just once again recalled that there is a thing called short story and that its still being actively produced. And i started thinking it would be great to read at least some of them, maybe the prized/nominated ones.

It's also could be cool to read shorts as part of a book club as reading them could easily fit into month picks reading.

Once or twice a week would be pretty doable. It would add to discussion dynamics because right now all talk on books are concentrated near the ends of months when all participants finished reading. And discussing before finishing is difficult because everyone have their own speed and starting date.

message 3: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Daniel wrote: "Joanna wrote: "Thanks, Daniel K, for the inspiration. "

It's also could be cool to read shorts as part of a book club as reading them could easily fit into month picks reading."

Yeah, I know it wasn't what you suggested, but if V and T do take you up on your suggestion, I'm hoping that there will be this handy list of candidates suggested by S&L members to choose from. :)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2846 comments We could always go rogue! Muahaha.

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel K | 164 comments Who would select the title then? Pole?

message 6: by Stephanie (last edited May 22, 2015 10:11AM) (new)

Stephanie (einahpets_reads) There is actually a group here on Goodreads that is now hosting member-led weekly speculative fiction short story discussions:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

I haven't been able to read along with the group lately, but it might be something similar to what you guys are looking for?

edit: Also - I just realized I am an entire month late to this discussion, oops!