What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Manhattan map on first page

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Malgorzata (new)

Malgorzata | 9 comments Dear Goodreaders,

I have been looking for this book for years now. Its quite thick, about 700-800 pages.Its a novel. There is a map of Manhattan on the first page and first sentence goes a little bit like this :" I always hated smell of hospitals". For some reason I think the title or cover might have "metropolitan" or "cosmopolitan" write somewhere.

Thank you very much for your help

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Apr 22, 2015 09:31PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
When did you read this book Malgozata? Do you have any memory of the genre--literary fiction, sci-fi, historical, romance? Where did you find it? How did you find it? What age group is it aimed at?

message 3: by Malgorzata (new)

Malgorzata | 9 comments I read this book in 2005 however it was published at least in early 90, given the condition on the cover:) I found the book in old used books store. It was definitely adult read. It was contemporary fiction, thriller maybe. It's a long shot, I know, but it's been eating me for 10 years:(

message 4: by Kristina Marie (new)

Kristina Marie | 137 comments It doesn't have that first sentence, but it is big New York.

message 5: by Malgorzata (last edited Apr 23, 2015 11:20AM) (new)

Malgorzata | 9 comments I'll definitely check that out however I'm pretty sure I would remember that title :)Also the book I read took place only in the present times, probably 90'.And Edward Rutherfurd book was published in 2009, I read it in 2005 and it was pretty old by then :D:) Thank you for your time

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37804 comments Mod
Malgorzata, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 7: by Malgorzata (new)

Malgorzata | 9 comments I'm still looking, any help would be very appreciated

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33443 comments Mod
Malgorzata, can you tell us about the plot and main characters?

Did the story take place only in Manhattan?

A long shot - Well and Truly (1990, 400 pages) by Evelyn Wilde Mayerson? "With the sudden and unexpected death of her husband, Maggie Hatch faces a variety of other problems, including her daughter dropping out of college, and serving as a juror in a murder trial."

The Google Books preview offers a snippet search - https://books.google.com/books?id=fEL...

p.390 - "Maggie controlled an impulse to smile and collected her belongings. She put on her Manhattan winter coat, a hated Lanvin leather trimmed at the hood and cuffs with Mongolian goat - a gift of Sybil's..."

p.391 - "I hate hospitals," replied Kristen. "They smell funny and they're noisy. I'd rather come next week." Maggie felt a lurch, a jolt in the solar plexus at the memory of the last time she had been in a hospital.

message 9: by Malgorzata (new)

Malgorzata | 9 comments I'm afraid I don't remember much of the plot. I'm pretty sure it was murder investigation/ detective story or thriller based in New York city in the recent times. The one thigh I remember clearly is the cover(city skyscrapers) the map of New York and/or Manhattan on the first page and the description of hospital smell on the first page. It was narrated in first person by a men.

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan Pluym | 102 comments I don't know if this is it but I figured it's worth a shot.

Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Well and Truly (other topics)
New York (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Evelyn Wilde Mayerson (other topics)