Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2015-05 - Gothic - what would you be reading?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8709 comments Mod
Thanks, Sarah, for the early pick for May: Gothic

I'm excited about this shelf -what's on your list?

message 2: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Apr 22, 2015 02:46PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2830 comments Mod
Wow, there are a lot of really good books on this list. If you haven't read them yet, I highly recommend Fiercombe Manor (US title....UK title is The Girl in the Photograph) and Rebecca are two of my faves.

I think I will try to get to:

Dracula (been trying to get to this one all year)
The Witch of Painted Sorrows
This Rough Magic
A Sudden Light

I could list more, but I probably won't even get to all of these.

Dogsandbooksanddogsandbooks The Secret History by Donna Tartt.

message 4: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Moger | 19 comments I will be reading Dracula by Bram Stoker Dracula for the month of May.

Nadine wrote: "I will be reading Dracula by Bram Stoker Dracula for the month of May."

I've been trying to get to that book all year. Hopefully this month will do it. :P

message 6: by Bea (last edited May 01, 2015 03:02AM) (new)

Bea | 4713 comments Mod
I am so caught up right now with BIG Books! Still reading Fall of Giants for the April shelf (83% done) and The Goldfinch (64% done) that I haven't selected a book for this shelf yet. Wonder if there is anything that would crossover to other PAS challenges?

OK. I found The House Next Door, which I had already planned to read for SRC. So I am set.

Dogsandbooksanddogsandbooks Debi wrote: "The Secret History by Donna Tartt."

I actually looked up what "Gothic" meant with regard to fiction to confirm what I thought it was so I wouldn't get hung up in Frankenstein territory. I have to say, I am enjoying my choice immensely. Somewhat of a long story so am only half way but I find myself trying to sneak in a read here/there! First time reading Donna Tartt. Once again the Shelf Picker has taken me to new territories.

Debi wrote: "Debi wrote: "The Secret History by Donna Tartt."

I actually looked up what "Gothic" meant with regard to fiction to confirm what I thought it was so I wouldn't get hung up in Frankenstein territor..."

I'd love to see the definition you found, Debi. Can you post it here?

Dogsandbooksanddogsandbooks Lyn, here is the definition I found which I liked from Wikipedia. Though my book isn't from the 19th century it is a nice, modern blending of the elements found here.

"Gothic fiction, which is largely dominated by the subgenre of Gothic horror, is a genre or mode of literature that combines fiction, horror and Romanticism. Its origin is attributed to English author Horace Walpole, with his 1764 novel The Castle of Otranto, subtitled (in its second edition) "A Gothic Story." The effect of Gothic fiction feeds on a pleasing sort of terror, an extension of Romantic literary pleasures that were relatively new at the time of Walpole's novel. Melodrama and parody (including self-parody) were other long-standing features of the Gothic initiated by Walpole. It originated in England in the second half of the 18th century and had much success in the 19th, as witnessed by Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein and the works of Edgar Allan Poe. Another well known novel in this genre, dating from the late Victorian era, is Bram Stoker’s Dracula. The name Gothic refers to the (pseudo)-medieval buildings in which many of these stories take place. This extreme form of romanticism was very popular in England and Germany. The English Gothic novel also led to new novel types such as the German Schauerroman and the French roman noir" Wikipedia

message 11: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments I found To Kill a Mockingbird in the Gothic shelf. The only questions I have are...HOW? WHY?

message 12: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1662 comments D.G. wrote: "I found To Kill a Mockingbird in the Gothic shelf. The only questions I have are...HOW? WHY?"

That's the beauty of Goodreads shelves. Since it's reader-selected, you never know what you'll find! :)

LynnB wrote: "D.G. wrote: "I found To Kill a Mockingbird in the Gothic shelf. The only questions I have are...HOW? WHY?"

That's the beauty of Goodreads shelves. Since it's reader-selected, you neve..."

i know. It is funny, but never despair when it is a shelf you don't like, lol.

Debi wrote: "Lyn, here is the definition I found which I liked from Wikipedia. Though my book isn't from the 19th century it is a nice, modern blending of the elements found here.

"Gothic fiction, which is la..."

Interesting. That is not quite the definition that I would have come up with, but it does make a lot of sense. I grew up on the gothic romance books, so they always come to mind for me.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol (spud272) | 10 comments Lyn (Readinghearts) wrote: "LynnB wrote: "D.G. wrote: "I found To Kill a Mockingbird in the Gothic shelf. The only questions I have are...HOW? WHY?"

That's the beauty of Goodreads shelves. Since it's reader-sele..."

I remember when the shelf was animals and someone found Of Mice and Men on the shelf.

message 16: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1662 comments Carol wrote: "I remember when the shelf was animals and someone found Of Mice and Men on the shelf. "

Lol! It's amazing where they get shelving ideas!

Carol wrote: "Lyn (Readinghearts) wrote: "LynnB wrote: "D.G. wrote: "I found To Kill a Mockingbird in the Gothic shelf. The only questions I have are...HOW? WHY?"

That's the beauty of Goodreads shel..."

well....it had Mice in the title.....