Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

71 views
Group Read Books - archive > Group Read - The Bone Tree Sat Chapters 82-94 (end) spoilers welcome

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments This segment is for Saturday and chapters 82-94, the last chapters.
The first to post could please summarize this segment to guide the discussion.


message 2: by Ann (last edited May 25, 2015 07:10PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments I've let the book settle a bit before continuing the chapter summaries. If you are reading this set of comments then in theory you have finished the book and are probably as shell shocked as I am. Whew. That said, it's Saturday.
Chap 82
Tom is up shaving and planning to turn himself in at Henry's funeral.
Chap 83
Snake Knox and the Double Eagles walk out of jail. Aided by a dirt bike left for him, Snake eludes his FBI tails and connects with Wilma and son Alois. Ready to kill Tom Penn and Kaiser.
Chap 84
Tom arrives at the back door of the funeral home, sees Henry Sexton's mother and agrees to give a eulogy, this was a very touching scene.
Chap 85
The black ops swat team video of murder post-Katrina makes the rounds. MacKiever presents it to a New Orleans banker who backs Forrest, Kaiser shows a member of the team.
Henry's funeral was very moving. Annie tells Penn that Caitlin would want them to go. They do. She carries Caitlin's cell phone. Ninety-two year old Reverend Baldwin's funeral service was powerfully moving and amazing. "He was a man. Not a white man, a man."
Then Swan Norris is introduced to sing a Sam Cook song. The love of Henry's young life is still beautiful, she must be sixty years old. Jimmy Revels grandson plays piano and also n sings. A white man's funeral in a black church packed with five times capacity. One more to speak.
Chap 87
Tom appears wearing a 1940's era suit from the closet of Pithy Nolan's husband. At first I thought Tom couldn't top the previous words of Reverend Baldwin's service, but he also gives a ringing eulogy. He admits to doing "things" he is ashamed of. He calls out the Knox's for kidnapping him. FBI all around he surrenders, Penn wonders what he gave up.
A very tense stand-off with a bounty hunter ends with Tom going with the FBI.
Maddeningly Penn ignores Annie's pleas to listen to Caitlin's message.


message 3: by Ann (last edited May 23, 2015 04:21PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Chapter 88
Penn drives to Valhalla listening to Caitlin's last message. She gives him her reasons for searching on her own for the Bone Tree, her love, and the reason Tom was protecting Viola. I was crying as I listened to this chapter. This book was not always easy to listen to, but it was always compelling.
Forrest talks to Penn who knows from Caitlin's message that he ordered her death and unwisely tells Penn she was pregnant on top of being a jerk in general about the situation. Penn grabs a spear and attacks and kills him. Walt gets Ozan with a katana, they leave after taking video memory cards.
Chapter 89
Billy discovers the bodies and other video footage of who was there.
Chapter 90
Penn in jail for murder after Billy gave time stamped photos. Shaddrack visits and gloats about Tom's and Penn's future fates. Penn snaps and attacks him.


message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Chapter 91
This is a full chapter. Kaiser visits and informs Penn that Dwight Stone has died and amazingly Penn will be released by MacKiever. How? Walt, Kaiser. He was "never in the house". Walt discovered Forrest's storage area and the evidence removed from Valhalla and stolen from the jail. And a letter written in Russian, penned by Lee Harvey Oswald on November 21 1963 to Marina his wife taking about making a difference and going to Cuba afterwards. Penn cries realizing this was what Caitlin was looking for.
Ethics aside, Carl also had evidence against sheriff Ellis to help too. Tom isn't out or helped but Penn will be. Penn's attack on Shaddrack not good but MacKiever has neutralizing evidence for that.


message 5: by Ann (last edited May 23, 2015 04:55PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Chapter 92
"Brother" Lincoln Turner visits to gloat. Quentin Avery confronts and he is removed. Quentin advises Penn to go see his father who might not live another day. Penn unmoved a trial may be the only way to clear it all up.
Peggy has been in the jail lobby the entire time with Walt, leaving to see Tom with Quentin.
Chapter 93
Peggy leaves to see Tom. Penn takes Annie home. Doesn't lie to her about killing Forrest, but it is a secret. Not sure that is wise, but I get why.
Kaiser shocked tells the evidence is lost on an airplane that went down.
Chapter 94
Billy Knox and father Snake in a plane see the wreckage Snake caused and head to Texas.


message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Carol: I am eager for your thoughts on the ending. I have quite a lot of thoughts, one is wouldn't Penn have blood or other evidence of Forrest's death on his clothes?


message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7889 comments A very moving final segment, Ann. I was also moved to tears several times, at the funeral and at Caitlin's message. She rightly admits that she has no one to blame but herself for the predicament she found herself in. I don't think Penn will accept that for a long time.

The Swan introduction was another reason why Natchez Burning was so important to read first. The early days of Henry were so powerful, and the description of his first and maybe only true love went far to explain the man he turned out to be.

Ann wrote: "I've let the book settle a bit before continuing the chapter summaries. If you are reading this set of comments then in theory you have finished the book and are probably as shell shocked as I am. ..."


message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7889 comments In an earlier post I mentioned that I accidentally skipped ahead on my iPod and heard a spoiler scene. The scene I heard a little bit of was Billy walking into his office and finding his cousin and another man (Ozan) dead. I then knew Forrest had been killed but I didn't know by whom. Luckily I shut the iPod off before I heard anything else.

That was another doozy of a scene. Forrest seemed so invincible, I never imagined he would die before the end of the trilogy. But now we see that Iles is setting up Snake as the toughest of the three Knoxes, and the force to be reckoned with in Book 3.

When I knew Forrest was going to tell Penn about Caitlin's pregnancy, it was another "oh-no" out loud moment. That man was pure evil. I would have liked a little more time for him to realize he was dying and that his reign of terror was over.

Ann wrote: "Chapter 88
Penn drives to Valhalla listening to Caitlin's last message. She gives him her reasons for searching on her own for the Bone Tree, her love, and the reason Tom was protecting Viola. I wa..."



message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7889 comments While I was glad to hear of the plan to keep Tom out of jail, it seemed just a bit overcomplicated and overconvenient.

Ann wrote: "Chapter 91
This is a full chapter. Kaiser visits and informs Penn that Dwight Stone has died and amazingly Penn will be released by MacKiever. How? Walt, Kaiser. He was "never in the house". Walt d..."



message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7889 comments I had the same thought, Ann. I'm not sure a 12-year-old can be trusted with that big a secret. Although she overhead it being whispered about in the jail, so not sure how "secret" it could be.

Ann wrote: "Chapter 92
Doesn't lie to her about killing Forrest, but it is a secret. Not sure that is wise, but I get why...."



message 11: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7889 comments This caught me completely off guard. But Iles is a master at plot developments that prolong the case. What a shame that all that good evidence was lost. I thought it unfortunately that they sent the evidence out of the same airfield where Snake had privileges and where a previous accident had happened decades ago. Wouldn't there have been a nearby military airfield to send stuff out of?

Ann wrote: "
Kaiser shocked tells the evidence is lost on an airplane that went down.
Chapter 94
Billy Knox and father Snake in a plane see the wreckage Snake caused and head to Texas. ..."



message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7889 comments Yes, hadn't thought of that, but of course you are right. Maybe the weapon (a big animal's head with a horn, right?) was big enough that it protected him from getting splashed with Forrest's blood.

I was not entirely sold on the explanation that exonerated Penn of Forrest's murder, especially with all those Knox supporters hanging around.

I thought the book ended in just the right place. It is scary to contemplate what Snake will dream up for Tom and Penn. I am still not sure about Billy -- I think he will prove to be the weak link. Or maybe he will outfox everyone and live to continue cousin Forrest's dastardly criminal empire. But he would have to be cannier than I think him to be at the moment -- Forrest ruled his troops and his contacts with force and fear. Not sure Billy has it in him to step into Forrest's shoes.

Ann wrote: "Carol: I am eager for your thoughts on the ending. I have quite a lot of thoughts, one is wouldn't Penn have blood or other evidence of Forrest's death on his clothes?"


message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Carol: I am curious about Billy Knox too. He had followed Forrest, and his father too of course, and in that seems to be a follower rather than a leader. I had previously wondered if he would protest Forrest's plan to sacrifice Snake eventually, he won't have to, but we don't know his mettle. I don't doubt Snake will cause all kinds of trouble now.


message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Carol: In both of those moments, Caitlin's last words and the moving funeral speeches the audio was so very moving; so powerfully done that I listened to Reverend Baldwin's words again. I am not sure that print could do those segments justice.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "A very moving final segment, Ann. I was also moved to tears several times, at the funeral and at Caitlin's message. She rightly admits that she has no one to blame but herself for the predicament..."


message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments So much happens on Saturday it is very hard to process. I do know that I am "over" Penn being unable to speak to his Father. I will be very disappointed if that estrangement continues far into book three.
I expect the crusading Penn Cage to be back in the next book. We need that.


message 16: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3618 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "While I was glad to hear of the plan to keep Tom out of jail, it seemed just a bit overcomplicated and overconvenient.

Ann wrote: "Chapter 91
This is a full chapter. Kaiser visits and informs Penn..."


i almost felt like a lot of the book was overcomplicated. if i hadn't committed to read it with you, i am not sure i would have finished it. maybe a mood thing? a bit too heavy for beach reading?


message 17: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3618 comments Ann wrote: "Carol: In both of those moments, Caitlin's last words and the moving funeral speeches the audio was so very moving; so powerfully done that I listened to Reverend Baldwin's words again. I am not su..."

i agree- the funeral scenes were very moving. i'm also glad that annie figured out caitlyn's password, so that penn could hear her last message, although it sent him off on a mission with oh so negative consequences. and i should have known that walt would follow him to save penn at the last minutes.


message 18: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3618 comments Ann wrote: "So much happens on Saturday it is very hard to process. I do know that I am "over" Penn being unable to speak to his Father. I will be very disappointed if that estrangement continues far into book..."

and it is. disappointing to me,also. i wonder if i skipped one part too many because i'm a little confused about why penn is not talking to his father- or still not talking to him after all these "pages".


message 19: by Ann (last edited Jun 23, 2015 08:16PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Exactly, Sherry! We've forgotten why Penn isn't talking to his Dad.
It was because of Tom's reaction (lack of reaction) after Viola's death and his being implicated. I think. My memory is fuzzy, but Tom did refuse to defend or explain himself, even to Penn.

Sherry wrote: "and it is disappointing to me,also. i wonder if i skipped one part too many because i'm a little confused about why penn is not talking to his father- or still not talking to him after all these "pages".."


message 20: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3618 comments Ann wrote: "Exactly, Sherry! We've forgotten why Penn isn't talking to his Dad.
It was because of Tom's reaction (lack of reaction) after Viola's death and his being implicated. I think. My memory is fuzzy, b..."


ann-
thanks! i thought that was it, but since it went on for so long, i figured that there HAD to be something else that i forgot- or missed .


message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments I totally agree Sherry, Penn seems to be acting less than grown-up about the situation with his Dad and the deepening rift.
With the events and losses that transpired in this book I am starting to wonder if Iles' point is to partly demonstrate how easily we can tumble down a path of disgruntlement with someone we care about and then go into free-fall as if an avalanche occurs and it seems impossible to retreat to a point of neutrality instead of conflict.
Sherry wrote: "since it went on for so long, i figured that there HAD to be something else that i forgot- or missed . "


message 22: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3618 comments Ann wrote: "I totally agree Sherry, Penn seems to be acting less than grown-up about the situation with his Dad and the deepening rift.
With the events and losses that transpired in this book I am starting to..."


if that's his point, he certainly did a really good job with it. and i think you're right- penn definitely reached a point of "no return" and he really wasn't thinking straight which caused him to act irrationally at times. well, i guess so did everyone else in the book, except his mother..lol


message 23: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7889 comments I can see it being a bit to heavy (literally and figuratively) for beach reading. I loved the characters, theme and plot too much to not read it, but I can see your point of view.

Sherry wrote: "
i almost felt like a lot of the book was overcomplicated. if i hadn't committed to read it with you, i am not sure i would have finished it. maybe a mood thing? a bit too heavy for beach reading? ..."



message 24: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3618 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I can see it being a bit to heavy (literally and figuratively) for beach reading. I loved the characters, theme and plot too much to not read it, but I can see your point of view.

Sherry wrote: ..."


totally too heavy for the summer for me. i am sure i'd have liked it a lot more if i'd read it in the fall or the winter..lol


message 25: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments I see your point Sherry and agree, plus mood and timing are always a factor for me and my enjoyment of a book. I wonder if they take that into consideration when they time a publication date.
Sherry wrote: "totally too heavy for the summer for me. i am sure i'd have liked it a lot more if i'd read it in the fall or the winter..lol"


message 26: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3618 comments Ann wrote: "I see your point Sherry and agree, plus mood and timing are always a factor for me and my enjoyment of a book. I wonder if they take that into consideration when they time a publication date.
"

interesting point, ann. i wonder if they do.


back to top