Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read Books - archive > Group Read - The Bone Tree Thurs Chapters 33-47 spoilers welcome

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments This segment is for Thursday and chapters 33-47.
The first to post could please summarize this segment to guide the discussion.

message 2: by Ann (last edited May 15, 2015 11:55PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Chapter 33 Snake, Sonny and Billy Knox are talking while Walt is still trapped upsatirs under a bed when a jet ranger helicopter arrives with the Black Team. The Black team was the rogue swat team that took out rival drug dealers in New Orleans immediately after Katrina. Snake is not playing along with Forrest's plan.

Chapter 34 Dwight Stone has a lot of detail for Penn on his theories about JFK's assassination and Tom's potential to be able to clear up loose ends.

Chapter 35 Caitlin is at Quintin Avery's house after a reporter followed Melba there. She and Tom talk at length about Viola, Frank Knox and how Frank Knox died at Dr Cage's office.

Chapter 36 Penn is still with Dwight Stone and Agent Kaiser. It is a very hard sell to get Penn on board with connecting Tom or Peggy with their investigation. A great deal of evidence that Tom knows more that he lets on about the situation is presented. Viola's coming back to New Orleans may be the catalyst for all of the conflict and her own death. While Carlos Marcello was alive, there was "peace". Forrest has no loyalty to Tom.

Chapter 37 Tom explains more to Caitlin, why Viola was saved, how Luther and her brother were not. Caitlin gives Tom 24 hours more to wait for Walt to return safely. Melba won't leave.

Chapter 38 Penn listens to his recording on micro-cassette of the Dwight Stone discussion. This was an interesting (and very effective) technique to get more JFK assassination detail out in the open, the evidence recitation is rather overwhelming. Will Penn come clean with Caitlin, nope. He'll show here the wedding present house instead.

Chapter 39 Sheriff Billy Byrd and Shaddrack Johnson get a sighting of a possible Tom Cage location from Lincoln Turner (Penn and Caitlin at their new house) The house, an 1833 swiss chalet that Penn bought to restore and surprise her becomes the scene of a scary stand-off with the ridiculously acting Billy Byrd and a very angry Penn. Shaddrack actually calms the situation before shots are fired.

Chapter 40 Forrest remains one step or more ahead, removing evidence that could incriminate him from Valhalla and finding Tm's location. Sending in the Black team, Walt realizes but can't do anything to warn Tom without getting caught.

Chapter 41 Finally Penn realizes a possible play by Forrest against friendly Sheriff Walker Dennis and warns him of a potential planting of meth on his property.

Chapter 43 Jordan Glass commiserates with Caitlin about withholding information about Tom and all she knows with Penn or Kaiser.

message 3: by Ann (last edited May 19, 2015 10:53PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Chapter 44 Tom awakens surrounded by the masked swat team, then Forrest approaches and they chat for the first time. Forrest still ready to deal if Tom can control Penn and Caitlin.

Chapter 45 Sheriff Dennis calls Penn and explains about the 3/4 pound of crystal meth hidden under his house. Penn deputized and suggests turning the tables and planting it on the Knox's.

Chapter 46 this is a doozy of a chapter.
Snake talks to son Billy Knox. The tale is a sordid one about abuse by Billy's Grandfather, Elam Knox on Frank, Snake, Frank Jr and Forrest. A horrific ending (some might say deserved) to Elam in the Bone Tree. Suicide by war bravery for Frank Jr. Despair and total alchoholism 24/7 for Frank, a cousin killed herself, Forrest is mean and crazy, Snake crazy like a fox. Billy was lucky to be younger. Snake needs to know where Forrest is holding Tom

Chapter 47 well at first Tom is being well cared for, someone who seems to be an EMT or some sort of medical professional. But then Snake comes in with food and takes out the swat team and threatens Tom with serious harm death for what he did to Sonny with Walt in the same mobile home.

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments I am COMPLETELY breaking protocol by posting in a thread I haven't finished yet (squinting so as to avoid the summaries, LOL)

I'm up to the point where Caitlin has discovered where Tom is hiding and has gone to visit him.

I am telling you RIGHT NOW that if Caitlin doesn't reveal to Penn that she has met with Tom Cage in the flesh, she and Penn might not survive the withholding of THIS secret.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments True, Carol! I'll reserve my specific comments until you finish, but I feel that Caitlin has lost her perspective.

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited May 20, 2015 09:42PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments OK I'm still not through this section but I'm liking being able to do a sneak attack post before I'm through.

As I said in the earlier thread, I'm getting bogged down in all the Kennedy assassination theory. It was bad enough when we had Stone, Cage and Kaiser in a hotel room with Stone going on and on about what he'd learned and what he theorized. I was so relieved when that section was over.

But wait... a bit later, Penn is waiting for Caitlin at the newspaper and what does he do to pass the time? Take out his recording of the conversation with the three, and play even MORE of the detail, this time involving Lee Harvey Oswald and somebody named David Ferrie on the one hand, and Frank Knox on the other hand, with Marcello somewhere in the mix. Yi-yi-yi, my head is spinning!

It kills me to be critical of Iles when I so love his writing, his plots and his characters, but I'm kind of beyond caring about this level of detail. Is it really necessary to further the plot? I guess time will tell.

As an aside, I just checked my print copy to look up the names, and see that this section is written as a transcript, just as it's being read....

ME: blahblahblah

STONE: blahblahblah

etc.

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments Just as I feared, she has agreed to withhold the fact of her meeting with Tom from Penn for 24 hours. I can see this blowing up in her face.....

Ann wrote: "True, Carol! I'll reserve my specific comments until you finish, but I feel that Caitlin has lost her perspective."

message 8: by Ann (last edited May 20, 2015 10:50PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Bogged down is a good way to describe his assassination theory detail, Carol. I am afraid we may not fully grasp the significance of all of the theory detail in this book! And who knows how long we'll wait for the next book.Unwritten Laws, supposedly 2016.
Carol/Bonadie wrote, "As I said in the earlier thread, I'm getting bogged down in all the Kennedy assassination theory.......
It kills me to be critical of Iles when I so love his writing, his plots and his characters, but I'm kind of beyond caring about this level of detail. Is it really necessary to further the plot? I guess time will tell.."

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited May 23, 2015 03:30AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments That's the first time I've seen the title of the third book. Unwritten Laws is kind of dull after the previous two meaningful titles, but maybe it will have lots more meaning to me by the end of The Bone Tree

You are probably right, that Iles will tie in some of this detail later on in the story. I'm glad I have a print copy with me to flip back and refresh my memory if I need to.

Speaking of flipping back, you are doing an awesome job with the plot summaries! Do you want to change to your name in the Discussion Leader section of the Group Read page?

Ann wrote: "Bogged down is a good way to describe his assassination theory detail, Carol. I am afraid we may not fully grasp the significance of all of the theory detail in this book! And who knows how long we..."

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited May 23, 2015 03:31AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments Oh boy. As I feared, something has happened to Tom (shot while being captured by the Black Team) that will get back to Penn and force a rift between him and Caitlin once he knows she knew where Tom was.

On the other hand, great development on Iles' part. As worried as I am about his fate now, he couldn't keep running and hiding, that just wasn't believable.

As if being captured by Forrest wasn't bad enough, Snake comes in on a double-cross and steals Tom away from Forrest's crew. Now I'm REALLY worried.

message 11: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments I was shocked that Shaddrack actually calmed down the situation at Edelweiss. That was a tense scene; I didn't know HOW that was going to turn out. I was furious on Penn's behalf -- how could a sheriff demand to search a house without a search warrant, the house of a lawyer for cripe's sake?!? He said he had probably cause -- what probable cause? "I think Tom is in there" is no probable cause!!!!

Okay, I think my binge-watching of the original Law and Order is getting to me, LOL.

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments I wonder how far along in her pregnancy Caitlin is? She is conveniently (for the plot) having no morning sickness. But she is putting herself under a lot of stress already, and now she plans a trip to The Bone Tree. Nice plot manipulation on Iles' part to have Jordan Glass offer to go with her (without knowing where she's actually going yet). What are the odds she will make her plane to wherever it is she needs to get to?

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Carol: Shaddrack showing up and then being the calmer head in the confrontation with Billy Byrd and Penn was quite surprising. Somebody sure needed to calm things down!
All of these different Sheriffs and sets of law enforcement groups and moving between jurisdictions is making my head spin. (Along with trying to stay one step ahead of crooked state cops)

message 14: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I am COMPLETELY breaking protocol by posting in a thread I haven't finished yet (squinting so as to avoid the summaries, LOL)

I'm up to the point where Caitlin has discovered where Tom is hiding a..."

i felt the same way, carol. way too many secrets going on between the two of them and like i said before, if they'd just share, think about what they could accomplish.

message 15: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "OK I'm still not through this section but I'm liking being able to do a sneak attack post before I'm through.

As I said in the earlier thread, I'm getting bogged down in all the Kennedy assassinat..."

lol, carol. i felt like the story got so bogged down with all the details that i skimmed most of those chapters. i hope i didn't miss anything major, but it was either that, or put the book down and i didn't want to do that.

message 16: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I wonder how far along in her pregnancy Caitlin is? She is conveniently (for the plot) having no morning sickness. But she is putting herself under a lot of stress already, and now she plans a tri..."

good point, carol. she's one lucky girl :)
i'm glad that jordan is going with her- she seems to have a level head on her shoulders and since she's a photographer, she should be able to get some fantastic pictures. wonder if they'll actually find the bone tree.

message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments Sherry wrote: "lol, carol. i felt like the story got so bogged down with all the details that i skimmed most of those chapters. i hope i didn't miss anything major, but it was either that, or put the book down and i didn't want to do that. ..."

Unfortunately I was listening to it so there was no easy way to skim ahead. So my defense was to daydream, LOL.

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments My strategy for the tedious detail was to listen for longer then usual stretches while multitasking, and as a result, with half an ear.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "unfortunately I was listening to it so there was no easy way to skim ahead. So my defense was to daydream, LOL.."

message 19: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments Ann wrote: "My strategy for the tedious detail was to listen for longer then usual stretches while multitasking, and as a result, with half an ear.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "unfortunately I was listening to it so..."

glad to know that i'm not alone feeling that way. i'm sure it's all important to the story but he could have been A LOT more concise in the telling.