Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

The Bone Tree (Penn Cage #5)
This topic is about The Bone Tree
Group Read Books - archive > Group Read - The Bone Tree General No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Apr 22, 2015 12:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Do you plan to read the new Penn Cage novel? If so line up your copy and settle in, it is a big fat book with 816 pages spread across 101 chapters and four days.

message 2: by Lindy (new) - added it

Lindy (lindylee) | 5 comments I just picked it up

Sherry  | 3765 comments i am going to, but probably won't get to it until june.

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments It may take me until June to get the cd's downloaded for listening on my phone!

message 5: by Lindy (new) - added it

Lindy (lindylee) | 5 comments I haven't read a over 800 page book in years, hope I can finish it,

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Lindy: It is a daunting proposition. The right book draws you in and then won't let go if you are lucky. The Goldfinch weighed in at 771 pages. I think that was the lengthiest last BFB I read.
Lindy wrote: "I haven't read a over 800 page book in years, hope I can finish it,"

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments I'll start it whenever it comes in from the library. Or if I get tired of waiting I'll use the Audible credit that I have to use by the 12th.

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments The first few chapters are recaps of past events from various character's points of view which is good because the next thing you know it is like we turned a new page at the end of the last book.

message 9: by Lindy (new) - added it

Lindy (lindylee) | 5 comments I just read one that was 9-7 pages

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited May 15, 2015 08:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments I was just coming online to write the same thing, Ann! I had been half thinking about going back to read our chapter summaries of Natchez Burning, but no need, Iles does a good job of having characters sum up where we are.

Not sure how far in I am, but the good news is that the HC version just came in at the library so I will pick it up tomorrow. That will make following on so much easier! And make me able to go back and check on the 42 new characters that Iles will introduce in this book, LOL.

Ann wrote: "The first few chapters are recaps of past events from various character's points of view which is good because the next thing you know it is like we turned a new page at the end of the last book."

message 11: by Lindy (new) - added it

Lindy (lindylee) | 5 comments It was terrible, I didnt' finish it. Couldnt' get thru Natchez Burnign either

message 12: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Lindy, that's too bad, but as with many books the quote, "your mileage may vary" applies. These two are darker than earlier Penn Cage books. An article about Greg Iles may explain some of the difference. http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story...

The two books Natchez Burning and The Bone Tree are very similar. If you didn't like one, then it is unlikely you would enjoy the other. I hope you have better luck with other group reads.
Lindy wrote: "It was terrible, I didnt' finish it. Couldnt' get thru Natchez Burnign either"

message 13: by Lindy (new) - added it

Lindy (lindylee) | 5 comments I rarely do group reads, most on here dont' like what i like

message 14: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Lindy: I understand. That is why it is so wonderful that there are so many different kinds of books! They are not all going to be everyone's "cuppa tea" as they say. :)
If I am looking for comments about a book I am reading, I sometimes search around on Goodreads for groups that are reading them to see what others are saying.
Lindy wrote: "I rarely do group reads, most on here dont' like what i like"

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments Lindy wrote: "It was terrible, I didnt' finish it. Couldnt' get thru Natchez Burnign either"

Lindy, I'm surprised you even picked up The Bone Tree given your dislike of Natchez Burning!