Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

SF/F Movie, TV & Video Game Chat > Galaxy Quest TV show?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

According to Variety, Paramount is shopping the idea of a TV show based on the Galaxy Quest movie.

By Grabthar's Hammer, what a terrible idea.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2177 comments Loved the movie, but I don't think it will make a good TV show. Still, I'll watch one or two & hope to be proven wrong.

message 3: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 525 comments It's a fantastic movie but I don't think it will make a great tv show... but I will try anything once.

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 337 comments I don't have a good feeling about this.

message 5: by Garyjn (new)

Garyjn | 85 comments With the right writers I think it could work. They could have flashbacks every week to when they were making the show to give them ideas on how to escape impossible situations. Too bad they'll never get the cast from the movie.

message 6: by Rose (new)

Rose | 201 comments Looks like a lot of movies are possibly going to be turned into TV shows...
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/21/enterta...

message 7: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 337 comments There are so many original works that could be great TV shows, I wish they would turn to them rather than retreads. Same with theater and movies, bringing old TV shows to the screen (ADDAMS FAMILY, take a bow).

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2177 comments Rose wrote: "Looks like a lot of movies are possibly going to be turned into TV shows...
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/21/enterta..."

An "Evil Dead" TV series? I'm a huge fan of the franchise, even have a copy of one of the musical versions of "Evil Dead", both versions of "Army of Darkness" (The S Mart ending is the best, I don't care what Ramii thinks.) & "Call Me Bruce". I've even watched & own all of "Brisco County, Jr." & "Jack of All Trades". I'm not sure about a series, but would definitely watch it if Campbell is in it.

Can't see most of the others making it, either. Oh well, I dislike most of what is on TV now. It's still way better than it has been in the past. A lot of good shows are on.

message 9: by Leo (new)

Leo (rahiensorei) | 78 comments Paramount could just be stirring the pot. So many quality programs are getting snatched up by Netflix or the Yahoo streamer (coughcoughCommunitycoughcough), that I could see this as being something of a sensational "shopping spree" to draw attention back to cable/sat providers. HBO and AMC are still miles ahead of other major networks (except FX, close runner up) and the shows they're trying to push nowadays (Once Upon a Time needs to give up the ghost). Nothing seems to be measuring up, so I can't blame them for trying to pull the focus back to TV as opposed to streaming.

message 10: by D. (new)

D. Snyder | 51 comments I see a few ways that Galaxy Quest could work as a regular television series. Some better than others, and most of them depart from the movie quickly.

The first would be a "meta" program, where Paramount actually produces the adventures of Commander Peter Quincy Taggert and the crew of the NSEA Protector. No references to misunderstandings by aliens, just the actual show.

The next would be a variation of that where the cast of the defunct show travel through space as part of Earth's mission to the various species of the galaxy. This would actually be the hardest thing to keep interesting, because hapless actors in space get boring or dead pretty quickly.

My third idea would be a workplace centered sitcom following a group of actors and crew as they try to make "Galaxy Quest: The Replacement Crew." Remembering that one of them is a Thermian, it runs the risk of being over the top with alien character humor, but this could (if done carefully) be on par with Stark Raving Mad.

message 11: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (haveah) | 123 comments IF you all will remember- they basically set it up to be a sitcom, with that whole "The Continuing Adventures..." bit. So- I figure they can take it two ways- actually try to "remake" the show (which will end up being cheesy and probably won't even make it to air), or kind of do a "Behind the Scenes" show, that shows what's happening to the cast in between episodes. That gives them the flexibility to branch out, and not stay in the cheesy alien comedy genre that everyone thinks it will fall into.

message 12: by Deeptanshu (new)

Deeptanshu | 120 comments I think that I would watch this show.There is a dearth of good comedy sci fi shows right now.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

EW is reporting the Galaxy Quest series is being developed by Amazon:

Galaxy Quest TV series landing at Amazon

Amazon usually tries out series as pilot episodes and runs a bake-off.

message 14: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 100 comments It will be interesting to see what they do with it.

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim Hardison | 5 comments I would watch a Galaxy Quest TV series. I'm just saying.

message 16: by Deeptanshu (new)

Deeptanshu | 120 comments Hmm Amazon does not really have the best track record but let see how it goes.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/0...

So that's too bad - Alan Rickman's death may have ended this idea. But anyway, who knows if Tim Allen could have found success on TV?