Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Quarterly Irish Read Nominations > May - July Quaterly Nominations

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Nominations are now open for our May - July Quarterly read. Quarterly books must be by Irish authors or relate to specifically Irish events. There is only one nomination per person. Authors are reminded they are not permitted to self nominate.

When nominating please use either the add book function or include a link to the books Goodreads page.

Nominations will remain open until midnight GMT on Friday 24th April. For those outside Ireland/UK that's:
New York: 7.00pm
LA: 4.00pm
Sydney: 11.00am, 25th April

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I am going to nominate norah webster by Colm Tóibín.

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I was torn on what to nominate. I've read a few Irish books recently which would make for interesting discussions, however I've decided to go with The Devil I Know which I really enjoyed.

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Susan wrote: "I am going to nominate norah webster by Colm Tóibín."

Nora Webster

message 5: by Colleen (last edited Apr 21, 2015 08:06PM) (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments A History of Loneliness by John Boyne

message 6: by Emer (last edited Apr 21, 2015 08:24PM) (new)

Emer Martin (emermartin) | 31 comments The Fabulists by Philip Casey, The Fabulists it won book of the year in Ireland when it was released and has just been reprinted, great book would love to read it again.
In December 1989, Tess and Mungo spot each other while supporting The Parade of Innocence in Dublin. Their paths continue to cross, and eventually they meet in The Winding Stair Bookshop & Cafe overlooking the Liffey at the Ha'Penny Bridge, both of them wary of the other and troubled by guilt. Tess has separated from her husband and left her son behind. Mungo almost killed his son in a fire by dropping a cigarette while drunk. Reluctant to reveal her true self and circumstances, Tess concocts a former life in Berlin, and Mungo picks up on her strategem, inventing a life in Barcelona. Their tall tales fuel a love affair, allowing them, as their stories become more fantastic, to confront their guilt. As Eamonn Wall noted in The Review of Contemporary Fiction, '...the stories they tell of adventures in places they haven't visited (Tess's Germany and Mungo's Spain) form a fascinating double narrative, one which allows for deep insights into both of their lives
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
I'm sorry I don't know how to add the link how do you do that?

message 7: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments The Fabulists. All you have to do is click on add book/author . Type in title and click on link or cover.

message 8: by Emer (new)

Emer Martin (emermartin) | 31 comments oh thank you, I see that button now, thank you so much, was trying to figure this out,

message 9: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments Emer that sounds like interesting.

message 10: by Emer (new)

Emer Martin (emermartin) | 31 comments He's a brilliant writer. some of the other writers get all the attention but Casey deserves so much more, he's one of the hidden gems in Irish Literature. And this would be a great chance to read someone different to the normal bunch.

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul I'll go for a classic (suprised it hasnt been reas before as it was a One City One Book for Dublin. I nominate The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

message 12: by Kevin (last edited Apr 22, 2015 10:34AM) (new)

Kevin I'd like to put forward The Last Armada: Siege of 100 Days: Kinsale 1601 . It is a dramatised but accurate account of the Siege and Battle of Kinsale which was an incredibly important event in Irish history as it marked the end of the Irish chieftains and the beginning of England's complete dominion over Ireland.

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Sounds interesting Kevin.

message 14: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
Hrm. I'm still mulling over whether to make a nomination or not this month.

message 15: by Serf (new)

Serf That does sound like an interesting book Kevin

message 16: by Bernie (new)

Bernie https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
Clíona Cailleach
by Gwyneth Wynn
Again I am nominating an Irish language book but this time it is for young teenagers. It is about a teenage witch who does not fit in with her friends and family. I just want to highlight the wealth of literature in the Irish language for all ages

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Bernie, an bhfuil sé fóirsteanach do thosaitheoirí?

message 18: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I'm glad you nominated that Sara. It was one of the books I considered nominating myself. Who knows maybe with two selections for the quarterly it'll make it this month. It did come close last month.

message 19: by Sara (last edited Apr 22, 2015 03:12PM) (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
Nominations seem a bit light this month, so I've decided to nominate after all...The Country Girls (sorry Emma...changed my mind about 30 seconds after posting).

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Did you just change Sara?

message 21: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
Sorry about that Emma. I had hope to change it before anyone noticed it appear.

message 22: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Also a good nomination to be fair.

message 23: by H (new)

H (hiisdaarkmaaterials) | 430 comments Mod
I nominate Reading in the Dark by Seamus Deane

message 24: by Bernie (new)

Bernie A Khevin níl sé ró-dheacair tá mé ag cheapadh go mbeidh sé ceart go leor mar leabhar le cleachtadh léamh i ngaeilge do aon duine atá ag tosaigh amach.

message 25: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments So many books that I like:)

message 26: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 437 comments I'm going to try this one again, In the Woods by Tana French and see how it goes.

I also like the one by Seamus Deane. I would be quite happy to read it again.

message 27: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) With all the fecking around going on the monthly I'm only getting a chance to properly check this thread out now. Sorry Susan there is a buddy read for Nora Webster already. It was set up some time last month. Do you want to change your nomination?

message 28: by 1901 (new)

1901 In the Woods looks interesting so i would second that, although i also quite like the idea of crossing a classic off my TBR in Dorian Gray.

message 29: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Reminder that nominations close tonight at midnight GMT.

message 30: by Allan (new)

Allan Emma, I had a look there, and there has been next to no activity on the Nora Webster buddy read thread. Should it be disqualified from the vote? If it were to win, as an 'official' read, it might encourage a few more people to read it.

Just a thought btw-I don't mind either way, as there are a few nominations that I'm interested in, hence my not having nominated this time.

message 31: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) It's a fair comment Allan. Thoughts Sara?

message 32: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Nominations close in 12hrs.

message 33: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
I think at Nora Webster makes a good choice for an official read and should be allowed to continue in the poll! I wouldn't close the buddy read unless it wins though.

message 34: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Fair enough. It remains in then.

message 35: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments Allan wrote: "Emma, I had a look there, and there has been next to no activity on the Nora Webster buddy read thread. Should it be disqualified from the vote? If it were to win, as an 'official' read, it might e..."

I loved Nora Webster but it is on our bookshelf and if Susan or anyone else wants to read it ,it's easy to find and I'm sure that a few comments will jump start the tread ,not everyone will like it.
I remember a novel was nominated that was was read years ago and it was taken out of the poll.
I just finished The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and it took me awhile to find the discussion and it hadn't been touched in 2 years and most of the members that commented aren't active anymore.The group members have changed a lot.
I just think that if it's on the bookshelf its been read.Just my thoughts on the subject.

message 36: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Nominations close in 3 1/2 hrs

message 37: by Paul (new)

Paul I now have the song Its The Final Countdown buzzing in my head ;-)

message 38: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
And now it's in my head!! Thanks Paul.

message 39: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Damn it Paul :-P

message 40: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn Good song :-)

message 41: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Where a book has been an official group read it can't be renominated, and as a general rule buddy reads shouldn't be. However on the basis that Nora Webster was only set up a month or so ago, hasn't really taken off, and nominations are low this month we are willing to leave it and see what happens.

message 42: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) 1hr left.

message 43: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Nominations are now closed. The poll will open shortly.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.