Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Group Read Nominations > May Monthly Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Nominations are now open for our monthly nominations. As we are also selecting our quarterly reads this month, monthly nominations are only open to books by non Irish authors. There is only one nomination per person. Authors are reminded they are not permitted to self nominate.

When nominating please use either the add book function or include a link to the books Goodreads page.

Nominations will remain open until midnight GMT on Friday 24th April. For those outside Ireland/UK that's:
New York: 7.00pm
LA: 4.00pm
Sydney: 11.00am, 25th April

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I'm going to nominate H is for Hawk. We don't read much non fiction and since it won the Costa Award it should be good.

message 3: by Helen Dempsey (new)

Helen Dempsey | 1 comments I nominate Sinead Moriarty book " Mad About You"

message 4: by Emer (last edited Apr 21, 2015 08:27PM) (new)

Emer Martin (emermartin) | 31 comments This Boy's LifeI nominate This Boy's Life, by Tobias Wolff. It's a memoir but a classic. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 5: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments Helen Dempsey wrote: "I nominate Sinead Moriarty book " Mad About You""

I think this belongs in the Quarterly nominations

message 6: by Serf (new)

Serf I'd like to nominate Mrs. Hemingway

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Helen I'm afraid you can't nominate an book by an Irish author this month. You nomination is therefore discounted. You can nominate it for the quarterly if you like and nominate a different book for the monthly.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul With all the hype for possibly the most anticipated book release for years, I'd like to nominate To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Well worth a reread before the follow up is released

message 9: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I was actually just thinking the other day I must do a reread of it.

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul Definitely one a lot might reread in the coming months

message 11: by Lazarian (new)

Lazarian Wordsmith (lazarianwordsmith) I would nominate Warrior Patient by Temple Williams. It's a book every person who attends a doctor for medical advice or treatment should read. Although USA based - it has lessons for every patient.
http://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Patient...

message 12: by Clare (last edited Apr 22, 2015 03:36AM) (new)

Clare O'Beara | 148 comments I've just got Stop the Press !: An Inside Story of the Tabloids in Ireland

Stop The Press! by John Kierans about the life inside tabloid newspapers in Ireland. I have no idea what it's like but there must be coverage of Irish news issues. So I would nominate this for the quarterly read since I will be reading it anyway.

message 13: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 148 comments H is for Hawk is a fine read but quite depressing as the author was in grief depression for a year and did not realise it. There's also a great many quotations at length from The Goshawk.
Just to point out that it might not suit everyone. But if you enjoy nature and prose it's lovely.

message 14: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Clare I'd you want to nominate that for quarterly read can you please post it in the appropriate thread.

message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Reminder to everyone. This thread is for MONTHLY NOMINATIONS ONLY. Nominations relating to the quarterly read posted here are not valid and will NOT be include in the poll. Please ensure you are posting your nominations in the correct location.

message 16: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Lazarian wrote: "I would nominate Warrior Patient by Temple Williams. It's a book every person who attends a doctor for medical advice or treatment should read. Although USA based - it has lessons for every patien..."

Rules for group nominations: "Authors are reminded they are not permitted to self nominate".

message 18: by Lazarian (new)

Lazarian Wordsmith (lazarianwordsmith) Barbara wrote: "Lazarian wrote: "I would nominate Warrior Patient by Temple Williams. It's a book every person who attends a doctor for medical advice or treatment should read. Although USA based - it has lessons..."

What self nomination? Wake up! Lazarian Wordsmith Irish Author...Temple Williams two times Pulitzer nominee and not Irish! Lives in Florida. So what's this snotty note at the end of my post about.

Pat

message 19: by Lazarian (last edited Apr 22, 2015 08:09AM) (new)

Lazarian Wordsmith (lazarianwordsmith) Barbara wrote:
Rules for group nominations: "Authors are reminded they are not permitted to self nominate".

I was dubious about joining Goodreads, as people who post on here, are gaining reputations for being on the nasty side. There was no need for a post that questions my integrity, by insinuating I am making a false nomination of my own book. Any person who can do a Google search can see my photo, and then Temple's phote, and unless they are myopic we are distinctly different Men.

Pat

message 20: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Lazarian wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Lazarian wrote: "I would nominate Warrior Patient by Temple Williams. It's a book every person who attends a doctor for medical advice or treatment should read. Although USA based ..."
Apologies - I misread and it was 7 am.
Didn't mean to offend you as you obviously are. Simple error. Please don't jump on people like this as we strive to be civil in this group.

message 21: by Paul (new)

Paul Sadly as an obscure self published book nominated by new member who has never introduced themselves you have to understand the assumption Barbara made.An intro prior to nominating a book would have helped us know who we are talking too.
Sadly we are used to nominations with a vested interest. We have to assume someone who has never posted probably wont take part in a discussion

message 22: by Gerry (new)

Gerry  M (placidcasual) More Fight Club than Book Club so far!!! :)

message 23: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I suggest we draw a line under the matter. However before we do if like to expand on the context for new members so they understand why we take such a hard line on the issue of self nominations etc.

As everyone who has read our charter and home page knows, the group is intended for readers who are either Irish or have an interest in Ireland and Irish literature. Authors are of course welcome to join in this capacity. There are a number of authors who valued members of the group and contribute to discussions when they can. Sadly some people seem to view the group as a marketing medium. The only time we see them is when they are unashamedly promoting their book or trying to nominate it for a group read. Understandably this is annoying to regular members who joined to share their love of books. There have also been incidents of authors and their friends trying to manipulate the nomination process by nominating a book and then canvassing for votes. Such practices are entirely contrary to the spirt of the group. This is why we take such a hard line on the matter.

I would remind members that if you have a concern about nominations it's best to PM Sara or me about it and let us handle it. And where members do raise a concern it is not appropriate to jump down their throats.

Now let us move on.

message 24: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I suggest we draw a line under the matter. However before we do if like to expand on the context for new members so they understand why we take such a hard line on the issue of self nominations etc.

As everyone who has read our charter and home page knows, the group is intended for readers who are either Irish or have an interest in Ireland and Irish literature. Authors are of course welcome to join in this capacity. There are a number of authors who valued members of the group and contribute to discussions when they can. Sadly some people seem to view the group as a marketing medium. The only time we see them is when they are unashamedly promoting their book or trying to nominate it for a group read. Understandably this is annoying to regular members who joined to share their love of books. There have also been incidents of authors and their friends trying to manipulate the nomination process by nominating a book and then canvassing for votes. Such practices are entirely contrary to the spirt of the group. This is why we take such a hard line on the matter.

I would remind members that if you have a concern about nominations it's best to PM Sara or me about it and let us handle it. And where members do raise a concern it is not appropriate to jump down their throats.

Now let us move on.

message 25: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) This is shaping up to be a strange nomination process. We'd usually have more by now and the mix is unusual.

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin I'm humming and hawing over mine, although I'd gladly throw my weight behind To Kill a Mockingbird

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin I'd like to nominate Steinback's Of Mice and Men. Short but maybe not so sweet.

message 28: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Kevin have you checked the bookshelf to make sure it hasn't been read before. The group has read a fair bit of Steinbeck so I'd just like to be sure as I can't remember.

message 29: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
Hey Emma,

I just double checked, and while we've read 3 other Steinbeck's, we have NOT read Of Mice and Men.

I'm still mulling over whether to make a nomination myself this month.

message 30: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Thanks Sara. I knew we'd read a few and it's probably one of his best known so I thought we must have. Grand Kevin's nomination stands then.

message 31: by Lazarian (new)

Lazarian Wordsmith (lazarianwordsmith) Paul wrote: "Sadly as an obscure self published book nominated by new member who has never introduced themselves you have to understand the assumption Barbara made.An intro prior to nominating a book would have..."
Obscure self - published book.....19 reviews best seller!
http://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Patient...

message 32: by Serf (new)

Serf I had never heard of the author temple williams until you nominated the book Pat. Just read up on her, she sounds like a very interesting character. I may even delve into her memoir.

message 33: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Enough. Other then apologies where people feel they are warranted I don't want to see any more comments on the matter. I note that Barbara has politely acknowledged her mistake and I would like thank her for taking the high road.

Stick to nominations please.

message 34: by Paul (new)

Paul Lazarian wrote: "Paul wrote: "Sadly as an obscure self published book nominated by new member who has never introduced themselves you have to understand the assumption Barbara made.An intro prior to nominating a bo..."
Well it is self published and 19 reviews is very small so yes , obscure in Ireland anyway.Sorry if that offends you.

message 35: by Lazarian (new)

Lazarian Wordsmith (lazarianwordsmith) Paul wrote: "Sadly as an obscure self published book nominated by new member who has never introduced themselves you have to understand the assumption Barbara made.An intro prior to nominating a book would have..."

Paul, there are two groups here, readers & writers..Writers are used to doing research before they put their foot in it....I have introduced myself...
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

message 36: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I think Paul meant you haven't introduced yourself within the group. We have an introductions folder where we encourage people to introduce themselves. It helps us get to know new members.

message 37: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) It has been decided to disqualify Warrior Patient: A Journey from Medical Dope to Healthy Hope. The author has been messaging and harassing members of this group. This group will not support or promote authors who think this is acceptable behaviour. It would also indicate an attempt by the person who nominated the book and the author to manipulate our nomination process. We have a very clear policy on such behaviour and it is entirely unacceptable. The person who nominated the book shall be expelled from the group. The author shall also be blocked and reported to Goodreads.

This group operates a zero tolerance policy on this kind of behaviour.

message 38: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
Paul and Barbara, I'm very sorry you had to deal with this. Thanks to my co-moderator Emma for dealing with this situation (after checking in with me of course) in a relatively rapid manner. Had you not jumped in, I would have responded eventually, but given the craziness around my move, it would have taken longer. Thanks finally to everyone in the group for being here!

message 39: by Sara (last edited Apr 22, 2015 03:15PM) (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
This has definitely been a light month for nominations so I decided to try nominating The Song of Achilles again.

message 40: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) It's been a weird month for nominations. The mix is far from standard. I suppose it'll certainly make a change.

message 41: by H (new)

H (hiisdaarkmaaterials) | 430 comments Mod
Sara I read The Song of Achilles 11 weeks ago and I still think about it, bloody brilliant book. On finishing it I immediately added all of the authors work to my TBR! I nominate The Child Thief by Brom

message 42: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Sounds interesting Heather. Spin on Peter Pan I take it.

message 43: by H (new)

H (hiisdaarkmaaterials) | 430 comments Mod
'The Child Thief is a lengthy, complex, but extremely compelling fantasy that weaves in elements of multiple folklore retellings, Arthurian mythology, historical fact and gorgeously creepy artwork. It should not be mistaken for a young adult novel, it's extremely graphic and disturbing in parts, but beautifully written and tinged with that inescapable sadness reminiscent of the original Peter Pan stories. It's at once a bloody horror story and a lesson in growing up - even the eponymous protagonist of the novel is simultaneously horrifying and endearing.'

Sounds most interesting and something a little different!

message 44: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Since nominations are light, I will nominate Light Years by James Salter. I checked and Amazon.co.uk, Kennys, and the Book Depository all have it.
I loved Jhumpa Lahiri's review in The Paris Review:
http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/20...

I listened to it on Audiobook but plan to buy the book as it's one I want to read and savor in physical form.

message 45: by Marcia (last edited Apr 23, 2015 02:29AM) (new)

Marcia | 437 comments I will nominate Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey and see how it goes. This is by an Australian author and is said to be similar to "to kill a mocking bird" Not sure if I agree with that but it is a very good book I thought.

And To kill a mocking bird. I saw a play of that a couple of years ago. It was soooo good.

message 46: by Paul (new)

Paul Thanks to Sara and Emma for sorting out the recent incident . I have continued to recieve insulting emails from both authors anc Goodreads have promise to deal with it. For information I have been advised to block both authors and for anyone caught in a similar situation if you open a members profile in desktop version and scroll to the very botton there is an option to block them. They cannot view your profile or posts. From the PMs i recievec it is obvious they dissected my posts and reviews so well worth stopping this. Sorry for the final interupption of nominations.
Loved Song of Achillea anf love the sound of the Child Thief.

message 47: by Serf (new)

Serf Reading jasper jones at the moment Marcia and really enjoying it

message 48: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 21 comments Since nominations have been bit "weird" this time, I'm going to continue the weirdness and nominate a young adult novel called The Carnival at Bray. The Carnival at Bray by Jessie Foley.
The author is Irish-American and based in Chicago. It takes place partly in Chicago, Ireland and Rome. I'm not sure if that disqualifies it.

message 49: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
My vote would be that it's fine as a nomination for this thread as the author is not Irish but Irish American. Emma do you agree? It looks like an interesting one.

message 50: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) It's a tough one. I think an argument could be made of it to be in either set. I'm happy to include it in the monthly nomination.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.