KidLit discussion

Tips for reading to infants and toddlers

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

Meg (roygbivsbooklog) | 15 comments Mod
Please share your hints on enjoyable reading experiences with really young folks.

For example, here is my tip: let your baby hold one board book while sitting in your lap and listening to a different board book. For some reason, my baby (now toddler) always attended/attends better when she is holding an object (book, milk, binky, stuffed animal).

message 2: by Meg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Meg (roygbivsbooklog) | 15 comments Mod
Okay, I've a question for the parents, grandparents, teachers and librarians who lap sit read. When a wiggly toddler crawls down while you're in the middle of the story, do you stop reading or continue reading? Do you assume s/he wants to hear a different book or do something else, or do you continue to read the story while s/he listens and plays, runs around, etc.? Do you ask if s/he wants to listen to the story?

message 3: by Vanessa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Vanessa | 10 comments With my son, I would always ask him to turn the page for me - this kept him completely rapt in the storytelling, waiting for me to say "Can you turn the page for me?"

Re. your question about the wiggly toddler crawling away - my daughter did this frequently when she was very young until he was closer to 2, and I took it to mean she was not particularly interested in the book/reading at all, so followed her lead to another activity. I wanted her to love reading - and at the age of 4 she really does - so I didn't want to force it on her in the beginning.

message 4: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Jessica I can usually tell if my wiggly one is still interested in listening, but needs to move, or if he's getting into something else, and try to follow that lead.

message 5: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

Lori I would continue to read if they were nearby, they are still hearing the words even if they aren't keeping close attention.