Catholic Thought discussion

The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ: From the Visions of Anne Catherine Emmerich
Dolorous Passion of Our Lord > Passion of Jesus Chapter 46 & 47

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Doreen Petersen | 441 comments Chapter 46 Summary: The Earthquake.
Chapter 47 Summary: The Request of Joseph of Arimathea to Be Allowed to Have the Body of Jesus.

message 2: by Susan Margaret (last edited Apr 30, 2015 08:40PM) (new)

Susan Margaret (susanmargaretg) | 538 comments

While reading “The Earthquake” chapter, I became slightly confused. I didn't recall the story about the souls that were released from limbo and how they re-inhabited their former bodies, roamed the streets of Jerusalem and confronted and reproached the living. Although the book of Matthew mentions that many from the dead arose, Emmerich's description is very vivid and provides a lot of detail. It felt like this was the first time I heard the story. Additionally, the word “limbo” took me by surprise, as I had not heard that term in many years.

My lack of knowledge regarding bible history and unfamiliarity with how to read the writings of the mystics prompted me to do some Internet research. The following comments from an article on EWTN’s website titled “The Passion of the Christ and Anne Catherine Emmerich and Mary of Agreda” answered some of my questions about the writings of the mystics:

“… most private revelation is “constructed” from the building materials of the memory and knowledge of the person. This means that the mystic’s own religious, cultural and educational influences help determine how the visions are presented to them.”

“Secondly, in addition to the general “problem” of interpreting private revelation there is also the specific problem of the uncertainties associated with these particular writings. Both factors argue for reading the writings of Anne Catherine Emmerich and Mary of Agreda as a means to inflame one’s love for God and for neighbor, and not as an appendix to Sacred Scripture.”

Now that I have a clearer understanding as to how to read mystical writings, I don't think I will be so confused.

Doreen Petersen | 441 comments Susan wrote: "While reading “The Earthquake” chapter, I became slightly confused. I didn't recall the story about the souls that were released from limbo and how they re-inhabited their former bodies, roamed the..."

EWTN is an excellent source of information Susan. Used to watch it all the time with my parents before they passed and still do.