Schlafly Global Book Discussion Group discussion

Criticism of "The Testament of Mary"

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 21, 2015 12:18PM) (new)

Even a cursory look at the online reactions to Toibin's The Testament of Mary shows that opinions are sharply divided about the book. Many praise it, and just as many condemn it. One of the most outspoken criticisms comes from the Catholic World Report, who offered this scathing review, noting that
the book is a by-the-numbers hatchet job written in sensitive, spare, and poetic diction for the delectation of UK and New York Chattering Classes and dipped in a bath of relentless, willful sadness and bitterness.

Our discussion on Thursday is sure to produce some strong opinions, and I'm confident that we can talk not only about the book, but how it does or does not reinforce our personal beliefs in a way that is constructive and enriching. I look forward to a lively debate.

message 2: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 146 comments A lively debate indeed awaits us! I have to assume the review quoted above was written by a man... Perhaps you have to be a mother to understand Mary's "willful sadness and bitterness".

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd assume it was indeed written by a man. I should point out how gleefully he points to Tóibín's sexuality to try and strengthen his position.

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne | 85 comments I'm fine with criticism, but that guy is a jerk. I'll bring some self-hating Catholic snacks for us to enjoy in sadness and bitterness.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Communion wafers may be in poor taste, but Nilla Wafers are delicious.

message 6: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 146 comments How about something popular in the temple of Artemis in Ephesus?

message 7: by Readridinghood (new)

Readridinghood | 54 comments I find it fascinating that anyone would write a book about Jesus' mother from this incredible point of view. Only in America can such a thing happen. Weather you like the book or not, like all books, it begins a conversation among those who have read it. I read the book in audio form. Meryl Streep narrated the book. And did a great job. The story was a little confusing at times. The idea behind the book to me was this. What if the mother of Jesus thought less of her son and others? Can't wait to read and hear your thoughts.