2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Shining
This topic is about The Shining
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2015 > The Shining by Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ZaraS (last edited May 13, 2015 08:08PM) (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments This thread is to discuss Stephen King's book, The Shining.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants:
Noah, Caro, Barry, Abigail, Cassandra, Rachel, Winter, Scott

message 2: by ZaraS (last edited Apr 21, 2015 10:11AM) (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're going. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 128 pages
Week 2: 128 pages
Week 3: 128 pages
Week 4: 128 pages

Rachel W (razzle97) | 89 comments I'm on vacation right now, and planning to start reading this tonight or tomorrow. Looking forward to discussion here!

Cassandra | 5832 comments I picked it up from the library yesterday, and will hopefully start reading before too long.

message 5: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4636 comments I'm doing a personal Stephen King complete works challenge. Not doing it "official" because there are so many, I don't want to do it in a year, but want to read them all.

This month is The Shining. I'm 17 % in so far, and it's already great!

So fun this is a buddy read just the month I decided to read it :-D

Cassandra | 5832 comments That's perfect! Have you read the Dark Tower series? I read The Gunslinger last year but haven't read any of the rest yet.

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 1465 comments I just read this last month guess I should have waited.

message 8: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4636 comments Cassandra wrote: "That's perfect! Have you read the Dark Tower series? I read The Gunslinger last year but haven't read any of the rest yet."

Not yet, but it will be done. I bought like 5 or 6 King books last year before vacation. Along with fantasy, fiction...
This year is a catch up year. Trying to read more than I buy, so will probably read the books of him that I have first. But I will get to Dark Tower eventually.
Did you like Gunslinger?

Cassandra | 5832 comments Winter, I didn't like The Gunslinger that much, but I hear that the next books in the series are MUCH better, so I do plan to continue reading. At least The Gunslinger is pretty short.

message 10: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4636 comments Cassandra wrote: "Winter, I didn't like The Gunslinger that much, but I hear that the next books in the series are MUCH better, so I do plan to continue reading. At least The Gunslinger is pretty short."

Okay :)

message 11: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4636 comments Nearing 40 %. This book is so sophisticated! Might be one of his best, but I have yet to read them all so who can say. He knows psychology better than most.

Rachel W (razzle97) | 89 comments Cassandra wrote: "That's perfect! Have you read the Dark Tower series? I read The Gunslinger last year but haven't read any of the rest yet."

Cassandra, I read the Dark Tower series first, and am now working my way through the rest of Stephen King's books. I think the Gunslinger was the hardest to understand because you are still learning about the world he's building, but oh man, the rest of the books are good! I would be interested to hear what you think of the next book, he introduces more key characters in that one.

Rachel W (razzle97) | 89 comments As far as this read goes, I couldn't put The Shining down and finished it yesterday. Winter, I agree, this book is very sophisticated. There is so much tension between family members; I think that tension was more of the focus than the scary stuff happening at the hotel.

What do you guys think of the characters at the beginning? The Tony figure scared me a lot at first, and I felt really sad and scared for Danny. He was going through a lot for a 5-year-old! Moving and terrible visions and afraid for his parents.

I also really like the way Stephen King put the characters thoughts in (parentheses). It didn't take me long to get used to it at all, and it was really effective.

Anyway, I hope that you guys are also enjoying the book!

Cassandra | 5832 comments I was a little bored for the first few chapters, but once the family dynamic and visions were introduced, the pages have been turning quick. I've gotten through the first two parts so far.

I also love the writing style with the parentheses, and I like the way that there is minimal punctuation in the thoughts (especially the emotional ones) because it creates the perfect effect. Thoughts don't organize themselves into orderly sentences - sometimes they come fast and frantic like that. I can't wait to see how that gets used as the suspense mounts.

message 15: by Noah (new)

Noah Bourdeu (noahbourdeu) So far I am enjoying this book; I have watched the film several times, so I am familiar with parts of the story, however, I'm enjoying the more flesh out characterization of the novel. I have read several King novels, but this is my first experience with The Shining. I am enjoying the relationships within the family, I’m only a couple chapters in and the tension is already ramping up.

message 16: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments glad to see that people are enjoying this book

message 17: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4636 comments Nearly 70 % into it. Still enjoying it, but not going so fast because I can't read horror when alone ^^

It's a bit hard to judge the char. since I have seen the movie so many times. I never could quite understand Wendy though, so it's nice to really know what's going on in her head.

Cassandra | 5832 comments I've never seen the movie, but I hear that it's a little bit different than the book. Are there some scenes you liked better in the book or movie?

Honestly, Winter, I don't really understand Wendy even after finishing the book. As things progress, she starts to grow a backbone, but she is by far the weakest character. It's a little puzzling to me too, because I think the character development of Danny and especially Jack is really strong.

I remember talking about whether or not Stephen King is a bit sexist in his writing when we read The Stand a while back. I wasn't convinced back then (because The Stand is an apocalypse book and civilization breaks down in an apocalypse) but there might be something to it.

message 19: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4636 comments Yes she is. The movie portraits her even weaker I think. I will see it again to see if I remember correctly.

In the book we get to know her thoughts, I liked that. Might not understand her, but at least more than after the movie.

No particular scene, it's more the overrall feeling of a more fleshed out story.

Hm I will have to think more about that when I read the rest of his books. Never thought about it before, but it might be something in it.

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Any chance continuing this into June?

message 21: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Scott wrote: "Any chance continuing this into June?"

Definitely Scott

message 22: by Scott (last edited May 13, 2015 07:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Thanks

Okay I'll join this read

Cassandra | 5832 comments Welcome, Scott! We're glad to have you - I hope you enjoy the book.

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I read it around 1980 when I was in middle school. Loved it.

message 25: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4636 comments Finished! My 40.book read this year and also my 20. List book:-D (1001 (1305) books you must read before you die).

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Only able 999 books to go? ;-)

message 27: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4636 comments 1285 to be completely accurate :P I wanted to read books that were in seperate edotions, so I went for the complete list that is 1305 books in all. ;)

message 28: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4636 comments It's really fun though, stretches my reading a lot, makes me read stuff I didn't even know ^^

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Goodreads certainly has ways to stretch ones reading. I think I've read more books already this year than any year before.

message 30: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4636 comments Me too. It changed after getting into this group. Suits me fine since my days is mostly training for my bad arm hoping it will be well soon and reading ^^

Cassandra | 5832 comments It's funny how Goodreads and this group help motivate us to read more. It was certainly my experience! I rediscovered my love of reading and find way more time to read than I used to.

It will be interesting to see how your re-read of this book compares to your memory of it.

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments When I reread the vampire lestat last month it was totally different then I remember. I think in my mind I had confused one of the other books by Anne rice. Other books are like I remember just many of the details were forgotten. One problem with long series is you almost have to reread the earlier books to understand the later books in the series. The wheel of time series is probably the worst for this. So many characters and story lines in the 15 book series. It's great to read new books as well.

message 33: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4636 comments Heh yeah Wheel of Time is something ..

Cassandra | 5832 comments Speaking of the Wheel of Time series, I've had The Shadow Rising on my shelf for probably two years now and I'm almost afraid to pick it up again after being away for so long. I'll probably wind up looking up a detailed synopsis of the books so far.

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Yeah I had path of daggers in my car for years then started over and got to lord of chaos before I stopped until the series was finished. Now I've started over and I'm on path of daggers again 10 months into the reread. There's a lot of great stuff but so much detail it's easy to get lost.

message 36: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4636 comments Do any of you have a favorite King? Me I love his old horrors, but maybe my favorite must be The Long Walk. I love dystopias/apocalyptic and such books, and this haunted me. I have read it thrice I think.

Cassandra | 5832 comments I think it's actually a toss-up for me between The Stand and The Shining. I love The Stand, but it's really long (and probably could be shorter). The Shining builds up so much dread in a much smaller space, so while it isn't as much of an epic, it has more emotional effect.

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Ok I'm about halfway through a bit slower building the suspense then I remembered. Really great character development so far. One thing though I don't see how they had Nicholson in the movie he just seems wrong based on the book. The movie was great but seems way different than the book so far. I'll have to re watch the movie when I'm finished with the book

Cassandra | 5832 comments I didn't see the movie, although now I want to. What I've heard from comparing notes with my dad is that they're both good, but really different. It makes sense, because I think it's hard to show that slow mounting of suspense in a movie, but it can be really powerful in a book.

message 40: by Scott (new)

Scott Ivlow (scottinwinterhaven) I you are talking about seeing the movie see Stanley Kubricks. Like 10 years ago there was a 2 part mini series on it and it wasn't the best. That was my first and best scary movie I ever got as a kid.

message 41: by Scott (new)

Scott Ivlow (scottinwinterhaven) Scott That is typical casting directors will always have actors that aren't pictured right like what you read from books. Even James Patterson said Perry Tyler was a better fit for Alex than Morgan Freeman. Mark Walburg didn't seem right for Bob Lee Swagger. However they changed so much from the book to the movie to begin with.

message 42: by Scott (last edited Jun 22, 2015 12:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments To me the difference (view spoiler) Both the book and movie are both great just different.

Finished reread it was really excellent. The one drawback is that I don't think Wendy is developed as well as the other characters.

message 43: by Caro (last edited Jun 22, 2015 12:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caro (karopi) | 992 comments Scott wrote: "To me the difference is the book character Jack Torrence is pretty normal except for his former drinking problem. The hotel transforms him into a monster. I loved the scene right at the end where J..."
Scott You did not put the Spoilers mark in your comment!!! Please remember to mark spoilers in the comment... I am at 60% of the book and do not want to know anything before hand... (ok this sounds strange, just I do not want to know what will happen at the end)...
So far I really like it.
I watch the movie a few times already and I do not think it spoil the book, they have similarities but also big differences, I don't see Danny of the book as Danny in the movie and the same with Jack, actually for some reason I like more the development of Jack's character here than in the movie.. as for Wendy... None of them seems to be a character that I can like.
I had read several books of horror in the past and really enjoy them,(so far one of the most scary ones had been The Damnation Game really plays with your mind) but I must admit that this is my first Stephen King. I really like it, it has a rhythm in the lines and know how to slowly put you inside the story it knows how to drive a person from one character to the other creating a better picture of the story. I think that in two days I should be done with the book.

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Sorry about that I edited the message and added spoiler tags.

message 45: by Caro (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caro (karopi) | 992 comments Thanks!

message 46: by Caro (last edited Jun 23, 2015 01:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caro (karopi) | 992 comments Ok now I am finally done. Finishing reading the book around 3:00 AM Because after the semi spoiler I really wanted to know what will happen and just eat the book in a matter of hours. I reallly like it, and as I mention before I think that the story is great, is mainly focus on Dani and the importance of "The Shinning" I really ike how at the end Danny discovers his relation with Tony. I feel a little bit sad about Jack and how at the end (view spoiler)
I think that the characters of Danny and Jake are very well develop but Wendy character is not fully develop and it serves more as a point of support for the others not providing a big role during the story. Actually is quite of an annoying character I think that her role did not provide much to the book as some moments of distraction between the "real"interactions...
I am not sure if I will read Doctor Sleep. I like the way the story ends and I am not compleatly sure that a second part after such a long time will have the same magic. Does someone is planning to read it?

message 47: by Scott (last edited Jun 23, 2015 06:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I think I missed the part with Danny discovering his relation with Tony. I read this book way back in 8th or 9th grade so I was curious if I would still enjoy it today and if there where things back then that I missed because i was so young. Probably the biggest thing was the father/son relationships. Jack's relationship with his father as well as his relationship with Danny. I thought the Wendy character was pretty weak as well. Overall I enjoyed the book as much as I did when I read it decades before.

message 48: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Blagica  | 12028 comments I didn't even realize that there was a group read and discussion about this book I finished it last week. Although I loved some parts some I could have done without. I love Stephen King and find that while some of his books need every single word for plot development some chapters could have been shorter.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.