2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

The Snow Child
This topic is about The Snow Child
. Week 18: Pulitzer Book > The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
The Snow Child won the Pulitzer in 2013 and was nominated for several other awards. I'd it on my to read list because it's well rated and related to a fairy tale. I decided to put it as a 2nd Pulitzer book in my challenge, as The Road will be a re-read.

Summary:
Alaska, 1920: a brutal place to homestead and especially tough for recent arrivals Jack and Mabel. Childless, they are drifting apart--he breaking under the weight of the work of the farm, she crumbling from loneliness and despair. In a moment of levity during the season's first snowfall, they build a child out of snow. The next morning, the snow child is gone--but they glimpse a young, blonde-haired girl running through the trees.

I started it yesterday evening and I'm already at 25%. It was really hard to put it down to go to sleep, as the atmosphere and the mystery grabbed me after some chapters. The setting, in Alaska, with all the snow, the forest, the hard life and the foxes is a great and immersive background.
I suppose it won't be a happy story but the pace is really good for the moment. I'm pleased with the discovery :)

message 2: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
Finished! It was great, I highly recommend it for those who want a sweet fiction and a change of scenery.

Jody (jodybell) | 531 comments I'm planning on reading this for the "book set in a different country" - and as I'm a jumper, this one is next on my list to read. Something about it just really appeals to me & its siren song is irresistible! Glad to see you liked it - I'm really looking forward to reading it.

message 4: by Meran (new) - added it

Meran Sounds intriguing. I'll put it on my To Read shelf. Thanks for the recommendation. You reviewed it, correct? I'll check now, just in case.

message 5: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
Great Jody, I'm looking forward to your opinion :)

Meran, yes I wrote a review as usual!