SFF Readalongs led by Kitty G discussion

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
This topic is about The Lies of Locke Lamora
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Lies of Locke Lamora Dicussion > Chapters & Interludes 1 - 4 (inclusive)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) | 671 comments Mod
This is the discussion for the chapters and interludes 1 - 4 ONLY please! No spoilers for any other part of the book please :D

How are you liking the writing so far?
What's the best bit?
Which character do you like the most?
What do you think will happen next?
Do you like the alternating timelines?

Adam wrote: "I know i'm early but I have started reading this now as I read very slowly and work alot so may take me longer than the month to get through the book...Wow well that was genuinely one of the best o..."

Oooh I totally agree with the UK cover being super pretty, and yes there's certainly a kind of Fagan feeling with the thiefmaker :) That's something I remember loving about the book and finding really funny!!

message 3: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan (tschan) | 159 comments Firstly, very different chapter and interlude structure in this book. I was wondering when I saw the way the threads were created.

I also started a bit early because just 2 days away from 1 May and I was not keen to start on another book which is not part of my committed buddy reads/ group reads...

Only finished Prologue and it already seems promising. Loving the language so far... Very apt for these thieving bastards... Heheh

TS wrote: "Firstly, very different chapter and interlude structure in this book. I was wondering when I saw the way the threads were created.

I also started a bit early because just 2 days away from 1 May ..."

Oh indeed, it's a very fun and cool book in my opinion and I have to say that I think it's really well structured (even if a tad annoying for me to sort out in the threads :P)

I can't wait to hear your later thoughts!!

message 5: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan (tschan) | 159 comments Ah the Interludes are flashback chapters. I'm cool with those.. quite similar to Stormlight anyway.

message 6: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan (tschan) | 159 comments Y'gawds I've not had so much fun with a book for ages! (I used to love the banter in the Belgariad and Mallorean, especially from Belgarath and Silk).

Right at the start of Chap.3 I was like "What?? Their cover surely can't be blown so quickly?" And it was a smack-my-head moment when I'd realised that it was part of the plan! BRILLIANT!!

I have to say that the torture scene at Capa Barsavi's with the bag of broken glass was VERY disturbing! And the complete irony of the torturer's name, Sage Kindness! GAH!!

TS wrote: "Y'gawds I've not had so much fun with a book for ages! (I used to love the banter in the Belgariad and Mallorean, especially from Belgarath and Silk).

Right at the start of Chap.3 I was like "What..."

This series IS just SO much fun. There were so many moments I didn't expect but loved and the characters and their names and ironies did make me chuckle a fair bit too :D
SO happy you're enjoying it so far TS!!

Michael (michaeldixon) | 60 comments At this point in my reading I'm thinking that book 2 should be our July nomination. This book is so much fun.

As some of you know I am willing to walk away from a series if it has profanity or sex. But, for this book, I just had to give it a go anyway. I don't really know what this says about me, but it is true.

message 9: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan (tschan) | 159 comments Michael wrote: "At this point in my reading I'm thinking that book 2 should be our July nomination. This book is so much fun.

As some of you know I am willing to walk away from a series if it has profanity or sex..."

Am glad you're enjoying this. I did think initially that the profanity might put you off. Somehow in this book it sort of fits the environment/circumstances and not overdone to the point that it gets offensive.

Michael wrote: "At this point in my reading I'm thinking that book 2 should be our July nomination. This book is so much fun.

As some of you know I am willing to walk away from a series if it has profanity or sex..."

I think it's certainly worth giving a go and I am glad that you're enjoying it despite your initial reservations :D

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.