KidLit discussion

Introductions of group members

Comments Showing 1-50 of 186 (186 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Meg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

Meg (roygbivsbooklog) | 15 comments Mod
Feel free to introduce yourself if you'd like.

message 2: by Crystal (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Crystal Allen | 5 comments Hi All,

My name is Crystal and I am the Children's Book Publicist at Raincoast Books in Vancouver, Canada. I've been an avid reader as long as I can remember (my parents used to try to drag me away from my books to go play outside). I've worked in the book business for just over 8 years as a Regional Marketing Manager for a chain bookstore, a store manager at an independent bookstore and now as a Kids Publicist at Raincoast.

I look forward to hearing everyone's opinions on great kid lit. Is there any age group in particular that this group will be focused on or is it for infant to teen?

Best Wishes,

Crystal

message 3: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Diane (dianes) My name is Diane, and I am a youth services associate at the scheben branch of the boone county public library in kentucky. I am working on my masters in library science part time. I do storytimes for younger children, so I'm always looking for good books to use in story times. Also, my favorite books to read are children's and teen books. I hardly ever read adult books.

message 4: by Meg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

PS. Crystal, I hope books for all ages will be included, depending on members' interests.

message 5: by Gretchen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Gretchen Schomer | 4 comments Hi, I am new to posting on the web. I will continue to read the postings. I am a published award winning author of numerous children's books. Our books are going National this Sept. and I like to read about what others say about children's books and stay on top of what is happening. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Gretchen Schomer Wendel

message 6: by Meg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Hi and welcome, Gretchen. Congratulations on your series! (I added one of your covers to our book shelf, below.) Glad you're with us.

message 7: by Tiff (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Tiff (tiffe) Hi everyone, my name is Tiff and I am a school librarian. I work at a K-2 school so I am pretty 'up' on those books...but my passion is great young adult books. I can't get enough of them!

I am with you, Diane, when you said you rarely read adult books. Nicholas Sparks is a guilty pleasure of mine, but otherwise I don't usually bother with adult novels. ;)

Nice to 'meet' everyone!

~Tiff

message 8: by Tiff (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Tiff (tiffe) Also, I used to work as a youth services librarian serving ages 0 - 20! So I have some experience with all ages.

Crystal, I will have to dig into my files [or brain:] and find my favorite toddler books from my YS days. Right now the series I can think of off the top of my head is Cleo the Cat by Caroline Mockford and Stella Blackstone. :)

message 9: by Deborah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Deborah (deborahfreedman) Hi, I'm Debbie, an architect who loves to read children's books - I still hang around at my kids' elementary school library, even though they are teens now, just to talk books with the librarian (and, o.k., raid her wonderful collection)!

I am most interested in picture books (just recently published my 1st), but also read some middle grade and YA. Right now I'm trying to catch up on classics I've missed, and read a few hot new titles. Looking forward to sharing with everyone -

message 10: by Meg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Welcome, Deborah and Tiff.

Tiff, your expertise in the age range of 0-20 is really impressive and will be valuable to our ages-open group.

Debbie, congratulations on your first picture book publication. Please let us know what it is, if you're willing. I'd love to see it.

message 11: by Deborah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:01PM) (new)

Deborah (deborahfreedman) Thanks Meg! My book is called SCRIBBLE, and came out in May.

message 12: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Tiffany Hi I'm Tiffany,
I'm a stay-at-home-mom with two kids. My daughter is four and my son is almost two. Both of my kids love books and we spend a lot of time at our local bookshops. I'm looking forward to discovering great new stories and authors from other members of this group!

message 13: by Robert (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Robert Tabb (Robert_C_Tabb) | 4 comments Howdy all, I'm Bobby. I taught kindergarten for three years (two wonderful) before deciding that I needed a different position in the education field (I'm trying to make a go of it as an author with 2 self-published books out so far). I still substitute and love, love, love books. I really miss getting to read picture books aloud on a daily basis, but my wife and I are expecting our first child any day now, so I will get to read bedtime stories soon enough.

message 14: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Jessica Hi, I'm Jessica. I'm a mother of two boys (5 1/2 and just burst out reading and 14 months). I also serve on the children's advisory board of my local library, and am the daughter of a former children's librarian. I still really like to read kidlit and YA lit for my own enjoyment.

message 15: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Sarah | 2 comments Hi, I'm Sarah and I am also a stay at home mom with two kids. My son is 5 and my daughter is 3. We love to read every night and my fav pass time is to hang out at my local Indigo store perusing the childrens section. Fancy Nancy is the book of the moment for , surprisingly, both of my kids. Looking forward to reading all of the reviews.

message 16: by Leslie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Leslie (Alabamagrrl) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Leslie and I'm an Adult Reference librarian in Auburn, Alabama. My little girl is 14 months, so I'm just now starting to get back into children's literature. And, my daughter is just now starting to let me finish a whole book. Previously, she would eat the books!

message 17: by Vanessa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Vanessa | 10 comments Hi, I'm Vanessa, mom of two budding readers - a 4-yr-old daughter and a 6-yr-old son. I enjoy looking for books for them in the library and in bookstores even more than I enjoy perusing for myself!

message 18: by Deborah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Deborah (deborahfreedman) I wonder how many passionate readers began by eating books?

message 19: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Tiffany Fancy Nancy is a favorite of my daughter's as well! =)

message 20: by S (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

S | 4 comments Hi, I'm Shiri, mom of a 2 year old and a 5 month old. We love to read together and I'm always looking for great books for them. Before I became a mom, I worked as a Speech-Language Pathologist, and books were a big part of therapy for my patients. There's just something very special about children's books! I am really looking forward to sharing with all of you.

message 21: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

Lori My name is Lori and I am a parent educator for a birth-three program. I am also the parent of a 3 yr old and a 7 yr old. I also serve as a trustee for the local library system. As a child, I loved the Little House series. My daughter is just getting into chapter books and its exciting to rediscover them with her. My son is currently hooked on Goodnight Moon. When my daughter was his age, we read and reread Little Bird, Biddle Bird - anyone else here know that one by heart?

message 22: by Gretchen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Gretchen Schomer | 4 comments I am an author of a new award winning series of books for children ages 2-8. The San Diego library system (33 branches) just decided to buy/collect our books. And we have just been chosen by the NBA (Basketball) as part of their outreach program. We are a new series but kids and parents love our books. "Becka and the Big Bubble" www.bbbubble.com. About a confident young girl who blows a magic bubble and travels all around the world. We have 4 books which will be available in Sept. and Oct. in B&N, Borders, Walmart, Target, Amazon etc. Our publisher is Waterside Press. I am so exicted about being able to share the books with the world!

I am also looking to hire a retired librarian to help spread the word to more libraries. Let me know if you know anyone. Thanks!
Gretchen
Gretchen Schomer Wendel, author, "Becka and the Big Bubble" series of children's books.

message 23: by Jerri (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Jerri | 2 comments Hi, I'm a school librarian grades K-6 and an omniverous reader. Can't tell you how many times I've gone to Borders for just a few minutes to find myself looking up at the clock and discovering two hours have flown by. I am very curious about recommendations for books that children love to listen to and also books that children (especially 5th and 6th graders) can't put down. I'm looking forward to hearing other's ideas!

message 24: by Robert (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Robert Tabb (Robert_C_Tabb) | 4 comments Jerri,

What an awesome and important job. I can remember being an avid reader in school until I hit 5th grade. By that time I had read all the sports related books in the library and all the Hardy Boy mysteries. I wish Holes had been around to read. I wasn't until my sophomore year in college that I began to enjoy reading again.
That was why I decided to try and pursue a career as an author with my target audience being reluctant boy readers. So far the results are:

Joe and the Ten Wishes: I great read aloud book that kids love to comment on. The beginning is a little slow, but does lend itself to group discussions.

The Rules: Trust No One: The first book in a five book series surrounding two brothers, a very bizarre town, and a mysterious list of rules. The first chapter is posted at www.bookbothways.com, so I'd encourage you to read it and see what you think.

message 25: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Kate | 2 comments Hello, my name is Kate and I am new to goodreads and the KidLit group. I'm a stay-at-home mom of 4 kids... ages 4, 3, 1, and a newborn. Our house is full of children's books (we have hundreds) and we are always looking for new titles. Its nice to see Children's books represented here.

Aside from being a mom of four, I am also a children's book illustrator. My first book will be out in November.

Looking forward to some great Children's recommendations...

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy (ldtchr) | 7 comments I'm Amy and am a reading teacher for grades 1-12 and have two daughters ages 6 and 4 - both avid bookworms of varying levels. A new favorite that we found last night in the library bag was IVAN THE TERRIER by Peter Catalanotto (writer and illustrator). My husband read it to them tonight and it was even more fun listening to him read it to them.

Deborah - I have a feeling that most passionate readers who had reader parents had to have started with eating books :) - I wonder how many were kid books and how many were a parents....

message 27: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahfreedman) Ha! Well, some day we will all get nostalgic when we pick up one of our books that has traces of slobber on it...

Kate - you never said what the name of you book is! Congratulations.

message 28: by Chris (new)

Chris (rettstatt) | 2 comments Hi everyone.

I'm an author working on a fantasy series for Candlewick Press. The series is called KAIMIRA, and the first book, THE SKY VILLAGE, comes out this July.

Nice meeting everyone. Oh, and Monk Ashland is my pen name. My real name is Chris Rettstatt.

message 29: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Schomer | 4 comments Hi Monk,
Welcome to the group! And congrats on your books! I am an author too. We have an award winning series of books for young kids (approx. ages 2-8): "Becka and the Big Bubble". I'll look for your books at the stores!
:-) Gretchen Wendel www.bbBubble.com

message 30: by Carol (new)

Carol Odell | 1 comments Hi,
I'm Carol D. O'Dell, and I'm an author and reader--but I guess I should flip that since I was a reader long, long before I ever got a book deal.
I live in Florida, and bike, kayak, garden, paint, and write.
I have a heart for children's and YA lit--I have three daughters I homeschooled, and our best memories centered around reading books outloud--Secret Garden, Amelia Bedelia, Don and Audrey Woods books, The Giver, on and on...
My dream is to write and publish a children's classic that's loved long past my days on earth.
Sounds hokey, but I mean it.
Nice to meet everyone.
~Carol D. O'Dell
www.mothering-mother.com

message 31: by Terry (new)

Terry (readingtub) Hi everyone,

I'm Terry. I'm Mom to a 6-year-old daughter who loves books and is learning to read (very exciting to watch!) About 4 years ago I created a non-profit called The Reading Tub for children's literacy. We encourage family reading, because that's where learning to read really starts.

We (volunteer families, students) review books for kids from infant to 13 (Chris R. We just received an ARC of Sky Village to review). After we review them, they go to non-profits working directly with struggling and at-risk readers.

Looking forward chatting and learning about all that's going on in the Kid Lit realm.

Terry Doherty
http://wwww.thereadingtub.com

message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris (rettstatt) | 2 comments Nice to see you here, Terry.

I wish I could get a look at Mrs. Stoddert's original Reading Tub :)

message 33: by Erin (new)

Erin Harris (meerclars_child) | 1 comments Hi!

My name is Erin, and I work in Technical Services in a public library. I love to read and am mom to a lovely 9 year old who is an avid reader herself. Children's literature is a particular interest of mine as an English grad student with a minor in Child and Family studies.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi! I'm Lisa. I'm an elementary school librarian in Texas. Love, love, love picture books and chapter books I get to share with my students (PK-4th)! My favorite picture book is PUNK FARM by Jarrett Krosoczka, aand my favorite chapter book is BECAUSE OF WINN DIXIE by Kate DiCamillo. Looking forward to sharing great children's literature with ya'll!
Lisa :)

message 35: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2 comments My name is Michelle
I am stay at home mom to a toddler.
I love books and so does my son.

message 36: by Mary (new)

Mary Lunn (jacobnatesmom) | 3 comments Hi,

My name is Mary and I'm a stay at home mom to 2 active boys. Jacob is 6 (in 1st grade) and Nate is 5 (in preschool). Jacob is starting to get more interested in reading... and Nate LOVES reading.

message 37: by Emmie (new)

Emmie (emfrank) I am a former 2nd Grade teacher and mother to a one year old. Both my son and I love to read, and we both have far too many books!

message 38: by Abbeville (new)

Abbeville Press (AbbevillePress) | 2 comments Hello,

I write on behalf of Abbeville Press, an independent book publisher specializing in art books that recently began a new family division- Abbeville Family. We are based in NYC and have been around now for over 30 years.
We look forward to expanding on our family series, which not only feature children's books but also the renowned Armin Brott series for the Expectant and New Father.

message 39: by Flinkybits (new)

Flinkybits | 6 comments Tiff, it would be great if you could join my Youth Services Librarians, Moms, and Lovers of Kid Lit group on librarything.com! We could use some more expertise. I am a Children's Librarian at a Public Library currently.

message 40: by Kerri (new)

Kerri (kschegan) | 2 comments Hello! I'm Kerri, a second grade teacher from Pennsylvania. Our school is fortunate enough to be able to do a Readers' Workshop program with real literature (as opposed to basal readers or scripted instruction), so I'm always on the lookout for great children's literature. I'm looking forward to learning from you all!

message 41: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (gwyn) Hi, I'm Kelsey, an editor for a small independent children's book publisher (Illumination Arts Publishing, for those who are interested). Though I work with picture books, my favorite kids book--and actually one of my all-time favorites--is The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame. Not having any kids of my own just yet, children's books are something of a guilty pleasure for me.

message 42: by Terry (new)

Terry (readingtub) Hi Kelsey, Welcome to the group. We LOVE Illumination Arts books. I had the honor of meeting John at BEA this year ... and learned a new trick about energy.

message 43: by Terry (new)

Terry (readingtub) Hi Kerri, Are there any themes you're looking for? I just read an interesting post about literature and boys. Food for thought!

Welcome!

message 44: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (gwyn) Thanks Terry, I'm glad you like our books! I know John was pleased to meet you at BEA as well.

message 45: by Matt (new)

Matt Casper (MattCasperMFT) | 1 comments I am a psychotherapist and children's book author, that was born and raised in Madison, Wisconsin. I am now a psychotherapist and children's book author living in Los Angeles. I have written a series of books about a set of characters called "The Emotes". The Emotes books and toys were designed to help children identify, understand and express their emotions. They are geared towards children ages 5-8. I look forward to following this group so that I may learn from you!

message 46: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (GoodysWifey) | 1 comments Hi all. My name is Melissa, I'm in Iowa. I nanny 2 kids, both boys, ages almost 3 and almost 1. Great to be here;-)

message 47: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 1 comments Hi, I'm Meghan, a new children's librarian at Queens Public Library in NYC. I'm always interested in what kids are really reading, what parents want them to read, and what is coming down the publishing pipeline.

message 48: by Joelle (new)

Joelle | 1 comments Hi there! I'm Joelle - mom to a 4 yr old boy and 2 yr old girl. We LOVE to read in our house, and I'm completely enamored with children's literature. :) I'm looking forward to discussing children's books and learning from all of you.

message 49: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (smolf84) | 1 comments My name is Andrea. I am a brand new Montessori elementary teacher working in Vancouver, BC, Canada. I'll be teaching in a class with 6 to 11 year olds and I go in to meet my future students and parents of the students in about two weeks! I can't wait to read suggestions for what to stock the classroom shelves with!

message 50: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 3 comments Hi,

My name is Melanie and I am a children's librarian in Baltimore at the Enoch Pratt Free Library central branch (the one with the fish pond). I've been a "degreed librarian" for just over 2 years. However, I have worked in libraries for 10 years.

My biggest fear in life is dying without reading all of the great books in this world. I've sort of come to terms with the fact that this probably will happen due to the sheer numbers of good books. But my version of heaven is a great big library with all of the great works of literature!

Cheers!
Melanie

« previous 1 3 4