KidLit discussion

Sandra Boynton books for babies and toddlers

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

Meg (roygbivsbooklog) | 15 comments Mod
My daughter can't get enough of Boynton, specifically The Going to Bed Book, Moo, Baa, La, La, La! and especially Opposites. Anyone else know a Boynton fan? When you read these books aloud, do you tend to sing the words? I'd love to hear recordings of various adult and kid readers reading her titles, just to hear all the existing melodies.

message 2: by Crystal (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Crystal Allen | 5 comments My favorite Boynton book is the Belly Button book. That little baby hippo saying "bee bo" for her belly button gets me every single time!

message 3: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Jessica I've been a huge fan of these fun books since my first kid was born. If you don't know it already, check out Philadelphia Chickens which is the "original cast recording" of an unproduced musical of songs by Sandra Boynton, many of which are also board books (Snuggle Puppy, Belly Button, Pajama Time). The book has lots of hilarious notes, and the CD is just delightful, with performances by, among other, Laura Linney, Meryl Streep, the Bacon Brothers, Patti LuPone, Eric Stolz, and Kevin Kline. Kids love it, but it's excellent music that is fun for grownups too.

message 4: by Vanessa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Vanessa | 10 comments My kids both loved But Not The Hippopotamus - the wanted to hear it over and over.

message 5: by Deborah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Deborah (deborahfreedman) We love Philadelphia Chickens at my house too, in part because my girls' piano teacher sings the Belly Button song! But when they were little they liked Doggies the best.

message 6: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Kate | 2 comments I'm new to goodreads, and happy to find there are children's books represented here. Boynton is a household name here, we must have at least a dozen of her books. They are perfect to read to babies, being short in length, sing song in nature, and we just love all her little critters! My daughters love "Blue Hat Green Hat" because they can "read" it themselves.

message 7: by Jess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Jess | 1 comments I love Personal Penguin! You can download the Davy Jones song online. It's really catchy!

message 8: by Carol (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Carol Evans | 3 comments Barnyard Dance was always our favorite because you could actually dance along with the story. Also, Doggie, because who doesn't like to bark.

message 9: by Donna-Lee (new)

Donna-Lee | 4 comments We love to bring out our puppets and make them dance while we read Barnyard Dance.