KidLit discussion

Bring them back!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

Meg (roygbivsbooklog) | 15 comments Mod
What out of print kids books would you like to see back in print?

message 2: by Crystal (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Crystal Allen | 5 comments Mr. Pudgins it was my absolute favorite growing up! My copy looks pretty ratty now. Here is my description of it from my review:

" This was my favorite book growing up. I read it over and over and over again. I recently found my old copy in my parents basement and finally have it at home again. Mr. Pudgins is a babysitter and when he puffs on his magic pipe wonderful things happens (this all sounds rather suspect to now that I'm an adult but trust me, as a child it was great.)

My favorite chapter was when the family was having plumbing problems and Mr. Pudgins made pop pour from the faucets instead of water. One sink ran orange soda, the bathtub ran rootbeer, the kitchen sink grape soda... you get the idea.

Long out of print but if you are luck enough to be able to find a copy buy it immediately. You won't be disappointed!"

message 3: by Meg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Meg (roygbivsbooklog) | 15 comments Mod
I didn't recall Mr. Pudgins until your description of soda pouring from the faucets. I do remember that! I will have to search for a copy. Mr. Pudgins and Mrs. Piggle Wiggle would've made great friends, and they brought her back, so maybe there's hope.

I adore the picture book, Mike's House by Julia Sauer (New York: Viking, 1954). As far as I know, it's out of print-- a tragedy that far exceeds plastic Lincoln Logs, the redesign of Weebles and the disappearance of Tinkerbell brand perfume and lip gloss for girls, but I digress.

I have an old copy I got from an online used bookstore, so my kid gets to enjoy the story. Meanwhile, there is an entire current generation of kids who love Mike Mulligan and, as such, would certainly identify with the little boy in Sauer's delightful book.

In Mike's House, the boy visits "Mike's House", his name for the public library, to read about Mike and Marianne, the trusty but aging steam shovel, on a regular basis. One day, he finds himself lost and needing to get back to "Mike's House" with the assistance of a kindly policeman.

Anyone else like this book? I think it's a classic and not "dated". Surely, it deserves reissue.

message 4: by Flora (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

Flora | 1 comments Another book I'd love to see back in print is The Plant Sitter by Gene Zion (author of Benji's Boat Trip, Harry the Dirty Dog). Anyone remember this gem? A little boy discovers a certain gift for caring for plants and takes care of houseplants for a vacationer. He takes care of the plants a little too well, and they flourish and take over the house. In one illustration, the plants become the house and the house walls fall down, I believe. It was a fun book and the little boy comes up with a great solution to the problem of the unruly plants-- one that benefits all the children and parents in the neighborhood.

ETA: Whoops. This is actually Meg. Didn't realize I was logged into my daughter's account.

message 5: by Deborah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

Deborah (deborahfreedman) Ooh, I have to find these books at the library. THE PLANT SITTER especially, because I loved the HARRY books as a kid. My sibs and I also loved a book called GIANTS COME IN DIFFERENT SIZES, by Jolly Roger Bradfield, about an island kingdom with hamburgers growing on it that is put under a cloud by an evil wizard, so all of the hamburgers die. Also, WHAT JIM KNEW, by Mary Ann Hoberman, is about the funny things that kids believe, like "Jim knew..." that if he closed his eyes, no one could see him, etc.

message 6: by Vanessa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Vanessa | 10 comments The Golden Bird by Edith Brill (illustrations by Jan Pienkowski). I had this book as a child and loved it and never forgot it. Finally I found it again on Bookfinder.com and bought it for the princely sum of $4. It is a wonderful fairytale and the illustrations are exquisite.