HAPPILY EVER AFTER discussion

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > How much do book 'covers' and 'titles' influence your reading decisions?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 905 comments Mod
For certain people, sometimes even a cover or a title can be enough temptation to read, or compulsion to avoid, a particular book...!

Anyway, I thought that it might be fun to:

--discuss how much book covers and titles can influence us to either read or avoid books...

--specify what particular colours and images on book covers have the ability to attract or repel us... 

--specify what kind of book titles have the ability to attract or repel us... 

--and also share our experiences of the books that we read or avoided, mainly because we found their covers/titles appealing or repulsive...! 

message 2: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina The Book Lover Oh, I'm a sucker for book covers, if it's got a half-naked man on it, then I'm sold! :-)

message 3: by Dorottya (new)

Dorottya (dorottya_b) | 12 comments For me, a lot - but the blurb is what sells me on a book.

Cover turn ons for me:
-good quality pictures
-nice colours
-I don't like half-naked people on my covers, only if it is done in a really artistic way
-nice fonts
-nice ambience between images - good photoshop work

Title turn ons for me:
-something really interesting
-something that does not sound too vulgar or trashy

message 4: by C. (last edited Dec 26, 2015 05:36PM) (new)

C. | 42 comments Dorottya wrote: "For me, a lot - but the blurb is what sells me on a book.

Cover turn ons for me:
-good quality pictures
-nice colours
-I don't like half-naked people on my covers, only if it is done in a really a..."

I feel the same! Hate the new romance covers where the bare top guys jeans are so low that his 'package' is almost uncovered! That is so tasteless and crude!

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Kirkwood (Levac) (GenuineJenn) | 20 comments Oh my. I hate to admit it but I'm a sucker for really good book covers. it ropes me into seeing what the book is about. I will admit to reading a few books based on the cover

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I love covers!!! Be it book or my favorite band. I have observed that covers are becoming better day by day. For instance, below is the book cover that fascinated me recently, very minimal but has got that feel.. inexplicable. Ghachar Ghochar

message 7: by Bookmonster (new)

Bookmonster | 6 comments Honestly, they don't influence me at all. I tend to read on my kindle or my Sony ereader so don't pay too much attention to covers and titles. I focus more on the blurb and the reviews. Especially the reviews.

♥ WishfulMiss ♥  (WishfulMiss) | 4 comments People say don't judge a book by its cover but some covers are really cringe worthy or as in most cases, not worthy of the story it's visually representing.

For that reason I always read the blurb before deciding. Some covers do tone down excitement for me and I don't really gravitate to them.

message 9: by Odette (new)

Odette Knappers (odetteknappers) The cover and/or title make me want to read the blurb or not, so it does have some influence. If I like the blurb and I don't like the cover, I can still read the book but I probably won't buy it hardcopy, I will get it from the library or on my ereader..

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (AvidReaderandGeekGirl) A title and cover is what get my attention, then if the blurb is good I'll try it, I usually only cash out for books I've read part of and loved or by authors I already love.

message 11: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 6 comments The title does have to be good for me to try it. And not rely on duke, earl, etc. I do not like covers that are half-naked men or just the girl in a long billowy dress regardless of time period. But if the blurb is good enough then I will read it anyway.