The Kite Runner The Kite Runner discussion

Kite Runner Movie

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kite Runner (new) - added it

Kite Runner the Movie My name is Becky and I’m working with Paramount on the DVD release of the "The Kite Runner" movie and I just wanted to make sure you knew that it was finally out on DVD. I loved the book and the movie was just as good!

PS. There’s a sweepstakes around the DVD where you can win $1000 or a Khaled Hosseini-signed copy of the DVD here: http://www.kiterunnermovie.com/sweeps...

Teguh Santosa Thanks for sharing. I just watched the movie this evening, in Hale Manoa, our dormitory in Hawaii. I read the book in 2005, in Bahasa Indonesia. When I watched the movie, I feel like I read the book and watch the movie at the same time.

I already submit the questioner. I hope I get one of the DVD with Hosseini's sign.

charith I couldn't finish the movie. It was awful. How dare the producers, directors, and the parents of those boys allow them to go through that sodomy scene? Shame on the adults who should be protecting those children. I was looking forward to reading the book, but I'm not sure if I even want to pick it up now.

Challis i read the book several years ago and refuse to watch the movie because of the horrible abuse that takes place in the book. Why would anyone want tp SEE that? It was bad enough reading it.

Susan I agree the movie was good but nowhere near the book level.

Rebecca I think the movie was almost just like the book. Yes they did leave out parts, one Im am very glad they left out. My friends were confused from the movie but if you read it, it would make complete sense. There were gruesom scenes but it would be like watching a scary movie, only better. Scary movies dont have a point, its all fake, but the Kite Runner is based on what could have really happened in that counrty.

Norman I find it hard to believe the comments by Challis and Charith - what do you mean "How dare the producers...sodomy scene"? It is a critical part of the story that has to be conveyed on the screen, and they were ACTING IT OUT not actually performing the same action. DUH!

Challis, if you don't want to read or view abuses taking place in a fictional story, then I guess that pretty much limits you to reading The Bobbsey Twins and watching re-runs of The Brady Bunch. Even nursery rhymes delineate scenes of abuse. Ever heard of the old woman who lived in a shoe?

message 8: by Bryan (new)

Bryan In the movie, the child abuse scene is pretty restrained. It's implied cinematically and not very graphic.

And, as Norman points out, it's the most crucial plot point in the entire story.

Heather Look - we don't live in Disneyland. This stuff actually happens and worse. Open your eyes. It was a beautiful novel and the movie actually did the book justice. Watch this movie with your teenagers and remind them that FREEDOM is not free. Add this to your must see list along with Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, etc.

Linda I am reading the book as we speak, and so far I really like it. It's not what I usually read, so it's a bit different but it's really good. I can't wait to get to see the movie :)

THRILLHO Attitudes like yours are what allow people to get away with these type of crimes. All you want to do is not address the issue and hope it'll go away. This scene was a pivotal part in the story. Also, it's not like they actually performed the act.

News flash, this type of abuse happens everyday all over the world. if you want to live an ignorant sheltered life, that's your choice, but keep your ignorant assumptions and accusations to yourself.

Rebecca Yes it was an important part in the story, but I didnt whant to see it. I think they would have shown that part and even though it was important, people who didnt read it would have been much more confused.
They do that alot in movies. I hate it but I cant stop it.

message 13: by Liz (last edited Jul 13, 2008 02:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Sorry, Becky, I'm really glad I read the book FIRST - the movie didn't quite come up to the 5 star rating I gave the novel.

And Norman, et. al., all of us are allowed our own opinions - and everyone has one! I didn't see you asking either Challis or Charith WHY they felt that way ...

Norman Sigh.

Charith: "I couldn't finish the movie. It was awful. How dare the producers, directors, and the parents of those boys allow them to go through that sodomy scene? Shame on the adults who should be protecting those children. I was looking forward to reading the book, but I'm not sure if I even want to pick it up now."

Question(s): WHY do you feel that child actors should not portray a sodomy scene in a movie based on a book that has a sodomy scene as one of its most defining moments? Should they have replaced it with another scene? Should they have used adult actors made up to look like boys to portray the scene? Should they have used animation?

Challis: "i read the book several years ago and refuse to watch the movie because of the horrible abuse that takes place in the book. Why would anyone want tp SEE that? It was bad enough reading it."

Question(s): What exactly is the "horrible abuse" you refer to? Why would such abuse, if included as an integral part of a story, be seen as a reason to avoid reading a book or watching a movie? Would this mean that books like Elie Weisel's "Night" (based on a horrible event) or Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird" (based on a town with horrible racism and a father - Bob Ewell - who horribly abuses and perhaps sexually assaults his own daughter) should also be considered off-limits for readers?

message 15: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Thank you for stepping up to the plate, Norman, and posing these questions - good ones!

PS Loved the beginning comment - "sigh"!

Molly I haven't seen the movie yet, but now I'm pretty excited to. Reading the abuse scenes in this book were EXTREMELY difficult for me, but to take those scenes out of the movie version would remove a critical part of the story.

message 17: by Dyna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dyna i watched the movie right after reading the book because i was curious to see how it would compare. yeah i know, movies don't always live up to the book. but this movie wasn't bad. for someone who hasn't read the book, i thought it told the story well. but reading the book was so much better because you really got to know the characters esp. hassan and his loyalty. and the older amir, seemed to me kind of blah. the only emotion i got from him was at the end of the movie. i don't know if that was just what the character was supposed to be like or if they just needed a different actor playing the part.
as for those parts in the movie which other readers are arguing about, there are more harsher and violent movies out there that show worse. i agree with norman.
in any case, i highly recommend reading the book first before watching the movie.

message 18: by Natalie (last edited Sep 11, 2008 05:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Natalie I agree 100% with you, Norman! Without that part of the story, much would be missing. Gruesome it may be, it's a critical part of the storyline. Also, it is quite ridiculous to think the children in the movie were actually performing the acts. And they are child actors, it's likely their jobs reveal a much darker side of life than any movie scene can.

Celina I wanted to cry when the son of Hassan said he felt dirty towards the end of the movie!! Actually watching that part on film was poignant for me.