Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > The Secret

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

Lisa | 1 comments Did anyone think everything in this book was basically just common sense? And she made millions from telling us to listen to what our mind tells us to do. DUH!!!

message 2: by Alex (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

Alex (alexinmadison) | 64 comments Actually, she's just regurgitating some very old philosphies based on the law of attraction. And, like most vomit, it's really awful.

If you're interested in the concept, I can suggest a HUGE variety of books that get to the point better and actually delve into questioning why it works. There's even an entire religion based on it that's been around since the 1930's called Religious Science (the book upon which it's based is called Science of Mind by Dr Ernest Holmes).

message 3: by Conrad (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Conrad | 9 comments The Secret is that someone figured out how to collect $20 from millions of idiots. Anyone who thinks they can get themselves out of poverty by picturing being rich, or that they can picture themselves out of jail, out of an abusive relationship, or out of any other unpleasant situation, really doesn't give themselves or their oppressors enough credit.

I heard a great story once about Harrison Ford. On the set of Return of the Jedi, everyone was always telling everyone else "May the force be with you" before shoots, before lunch, when they were about to drive home from work... except Ford. One day someone said it to him, and he snapped, "Force yourself!"

message 4: by Xysea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Xysea  (xysea) lol Conrad, I totally agree.

It's not that I don't believe in the power of positive thinking - I do.

But boy, does it tick me off when people say that when something bad happens to someone they 'brought it on themselves' through their negative thoughts. If my dog dies, I doubt I brought that on through negative thinking, ya dig?

And yet...

I had a very good friend who bought into the whole 'Secret' mystique. She bought the DVD, forced me to watch it and got the books. She said some horribly shallow things to me, based on the Secret philosophy of the Law of Attraction. I've had some tragedy, real honest-to-goodness bad sh*t that came down in my family due to mental illness, and she implied somehow if we had 'changed our thinking' that wouldn't have happened. I called her out immediately on that crap, and for a while it almost ended our friendship.

I think the borderline 'dangerous' thing about it, is it gives people a justification for not helping those in need. "You don't need me to give you money for a sandwich, homeless person, you need to visualize getting yourself a sandwich somehow and then it will happen!"

Upchuck.

message 5: by Lavina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Lavina (lavina_l) Someone I know completely fell for this. She watched the DVD every day for about a week and, afterward (speaking of potential danger), felt qualified to hold positive thinking seminars, for which she charged money. The sad thing is that people showed up.

And then she told a woman with cancer that her cancer was caused by having negative thoughts, and that 100 years ago nobody had ever heard of cancer because people weren't stressed then -- or something like that.

message 6: by Xysea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Xysea  (xysea) Oh, GEE WHIZ CRIMINY!

*rolls eyes*

PS The DVD has the cheesiest production values. Right off the bat, I could tell it was going to be craptastic. It kept saying things about how Sir Isaac Newton and Beethoven knew the Secret, and that's the key to their successes, when in actuality, their lives were none too good.

I can't believe my friend spent $30 on the DVD and another $100 on books and workbooks!!! Ayayai!

message 7: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 136 comments Mod
Here's a tangential story...

A couple months ago, I went to my company's Employee Assistance Program to get a referral to a psychotherapist in the community. This social worker I saw at the EAP (who was new and coudn't give me my referral) spent our whole session pimping his new-age therapy technique on me. After he told me that depression is a choice people make in order to manipulate others, but that we could "go the medical route if that's what you want," he explained his technique. And I kid you not, it was this:

First you hold your arm out and shut your eyes. Another person asks you questions and, following your answers, presses down on your arm. When you answer a question about something that you are vulnerable to, you will not be able to resist the pressing down and your arm will drop very quickly. This is a signal that that's the issue you have to work on.

So then you focus on what you want your life to look like, in terms of touch, color, texture and smell, and then you cross your ankles and your wrists and focus on that as hard as you can.

And then bingo! Your life is perfect in twenty minutes! And all you need is someone to press down on your arm if you need to refresh it.

So basically this guy told me that depression is just fakery and what I really should be doing is crossing my ankles. Oh, and buying his book, which isn't out yet BUT WHEN IT IS, I will create a thread just to mock it.

I wish I had told him what popped into my head when he said depression is a choice: "Oh really? Why did you CHOOSE to be so short?"

Oh, and he recommended The Secret. Go figure.

message 8: by Chrystal714 (new)

Chrystal714 | 47 comments OMG Kate! I am impressed that you resisted punching him, or verbally annihilating him. What a quack!

Who on earth would choose to be depressed. Where do people come up with this crap. Oh and I choose to be depressed just so I can minipulate people?? Doesn't seem quite right to me considering most depressed people try to hide the depression or hide from people. Friggin idiot!

message 9: by Chrystal714 (new)

Chrystal714 | 47 comments Oh yeah and the secret... reminded me of an info-mertial.

message 10: by Caroline (new)

Caroline It's always reassuring to hear people that couldn't stand The Secret. I've only read bits and pieces of it, but those were enough to realize that it was a load of garbage!

Yes, positive thinking is a good thing, but it doesn't work the way she seems to think it does...

message 11: by Lori (new)

Lori Anderson (lorianderson) I couldn't even bring myself to open the cover in the book store. If it sounds too good to be true, yup, it is.

message 12: by Ronando (new)

Ronando | 7 comments Saw the vid. Loathed it. Ridiculed it. Got into trouble with my friends who were TOTALLY into it. Complete garbage.

People who are desperate will cling to anything that looks like it will save them. They will do anything, aside from hard work, to become saved. Even if it makes them look a fool to the world.

message 13: by Erica (new)

Erica | 66 comments The other benefit to the believers is that they can feels superior to and judgmental of people with misfortune, which I think is really seductive. "The Secret" gives you permission to feel better than the next guy, as his bad luck was his own fault. There's something of bullying about it. I am uneasy that it is so embraced. I don't feel that speaks well for us as a culture.

message 14: by Nancy (last edited Mar 01, 2009 10:48PM) (new)

Nancy (nancy_m) I loathed this book so much that I almost threw it against the wall. My Dad has Parkinson's Disease and for this book to suggest that he somehow brought it upon himself through negative thoughts is hateful and disturbing.

I was discussing this book with my pastor and he told me a story of a couple who came to him crying about how they felt that they gave their child cancer from their negative energy and thoughts.

It would be a funny book if it weren't so hurtful.

If you want the real scoop on being positive, read The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale.

message 15: by Marilynn (new)

Marilynn (marilynnv) | 13 comments This book is a joke ~ except that the author has made millions on other people's quotes.

message 16: by Tom (new)

Tom (tommyro) I want to thank all of you. I will clearly heed your warnings about this book.

message 17: by Erica (new)

Erica | 66 comments Yay! Goodreads benefits the world!