Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

Movie Dumbledore

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jillian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jillian I hate the actor who plays Dumbledore. Especially in Harry and the GOF! He yells and looks angry all the time. There's no twinkle in his eyes, he looks like a grumpy old man! . He doesnt have that playfulness Dumbledore has in the books, nor does he have the same impressive stature. Hes short and stubby! I wish they could tell the actor to seem a little wiser and "in control", less raspy-sounding, and a bit more fun. Besides, Dumbledore seems to represent human goodness in such an important way. Why did they put this old grouch in some robes and call him Dumbledore!?

message 2: by Allison (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

Allison have you seen the 1st movie?? because that dumbledore rocks. but unfortunatly, he died after the 1st movie was made, so they had to find a replacement who looked/sounded like the original. not to make excuses, because i agree, he isn't as 'warm' as i would like.

message 3: by Margaret (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Margaret Because Richard Harris was such an amazing actor, it pains me to hear him referred to as the first Dumbledore repetitively. So, just so you know, his name was Richard Harris, he died of Hodgkins, and his family wished that Peter O'Toole would have replaced him. He was nominated multiple times for the Academy Awards.

message 4: by Margaret (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Margaret Apologies, did not mean to come off as condescending.

message 5: by Tonya (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tonya I always thought that Peter O'Toole would be a much better choice as well. He at least has the twinkle and the charm. Aside from the anger and the yelling, this guy (sorry, I know Richard Harris but do not know this actor) also looks thoroughly befuddled half the time. Not Dumbledorish at all....

message 6: by Faye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Faye M I agree, Jillian! That is what my sister and I have always said. The real Dumbledore would never be so aggressive!

message 7: by GiGi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

GiGi Rose Richard Harris was a wonderful Dumbledore (he was also in the Chamber of Secrets movie). I always thought Peter O'Toole would've been a great choice too.

message 8: by Shahriar (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Shahriar good to see i'm not the only one who is utterly put off by Michael Gambon's Dumbledore. While it is unfortunate that Harris passed away after teh second, i dont see why they did not try to convince Ian McKellen to take over as Dumbledore. If anyone has teh spirit of the character down, icluding the twinkle in teh eye, it is Mckellen.

message 9: by Britta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Britta I agree with everyone above--the current actor playing Dumbledore seems to have really misinterpreted his character. I too think Ian McKellen would make a perfect Dumbledore, but maybe they're trying to avoid too much of a Dumbledore=Gandalf allusion

message 10: by Christine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christine wow, I love it when people who don't know anything about acting make comments about actors as if they think they know something. Hahahahaha!

message 11: by GiGi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

GiGi Rose I think it's even funnier that we are talking about movies on a bookreading website!
And we're making plenty of comments about writing and not claiming to be writers. Maybe we should critique the food in the books. I know how to cook so I would be quite able to critique the various things that are cooked and eaten in the books. Steak and kidney pie anyone??

message 12: by BookWorm (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

BookWorm to what jillian said
i agree, i miss the original dumbledore, he was much more like the dumbledore from jk's mind, and ours then the new one

message 13: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy You're right. Richard Harris (the first DD) was absolutely perfect, but unfortunately he died and I guess Michael Gambon was just runner-up. He is so different from the book DD! He talks faster, seems rougher, and (trivial though it is) keeps on tieing up his beard or whatever. It's really weird. Everything else you said is right too. I wish we could still have Harris playing the part of DD!

Amrita Really, Richard Harris was soooooo much better than Gambon. Gambon just has nothing in common with Dumbledore's character.

message 15: by Penny (new)

Penny Sun Honestly, I don't really pay attention to any of the characters that aren't in the spotlight, and I'm not very observant, so I didn't really notice any of the things you guys mentioned.

Malia Gigi, Christine- none one listened!;-D lol

Malia sorry if you thought that was offensive! and sorry i ment to type NO.

Steve His tied beard notwithstanding, I think he makes a fine Dumbledore, even though not as charming...don't blame him, blame the plots of the books for his character's unsteadiness.

message 19: by Anna (last edited Feb 25, 2014 09:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Michael Gambon is a good actor. Just not as Dumbledore. The first thing that out me off of Gambon's Dumbledore was during the scene when the fat lady was attacked by Sirius Black and Dumbledore inspected the slashes on her painting. When the camera did a close up on his fingers, I was disgusted! Where in the books does it say that Dumbledore had absolutely filthy fingernails??? ;)And, Lizzy, the beard thing bothered me too. Not to mention how he yelled at Harry during the fourth movie (Did you out your name in the Gob let of Fire??!!). Sorry. . . Dumbledore didn't yell, people.

Yes, I know this is a book site, but I still imagine Richard Harris' Dumbledore when I read (and reread :) ) the books. Harris did such a good job bringing Albus Dumbledore to life on the big screen. He WAS Dumbledore. :)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

i like the Dumbledore from the first movie best :)

message 21: by Jeni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeni Ian McKellan can't be Dumbledore because then he would be Magneto, Gandalf, AND Dumbledore and nobody should have that much power. :D

In all honesty, I pictured Dumbledore as a doddering foolish, old man when reading the books and it was hard to take him too seriously. I absolutely loved Michael Gambon's take on the role. I think it has a bit to do with the fact the stories took a bit of a dark turn when he coincidentally took the part and his Dumbledore was needing to be more serious.

Richard Harris was brilliant for the two he did, and it was a great loss when he passed but I'm not fussed about Gambon as a choice for the role.

Dimitrios Chytiris Floyd wrote: "I loved the Dumbledore from the first film, but I've always thought the series would have been truly wonderful had Sir Ian McKellan played Dumbledore. Whenever I read the books it is McKellan's Gan..."

I agree, Sir Ian would be the best option!

Marie I think sir Ian Mckellen would have been great for Dumbledore, I just think that LOTR and HP were too similar (magic, dwarves, trolls, wizards, goblins...) for him to be both Gandalf and Dumbledore :( :P

Luna Belle Pris Jillian wrote: "I hate the actor who plays Dumbledore. Especially in Harry and the GOF! He yells and looks angry all the time. There's no twinkle in his eyes, he looks like a grumpy old man! . He doesnt have that ..."

That's so funny! I feel the same way too :)))

message 25: by Leon (last edited Jun 20, 2013 04:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leon RE I agree, Richard Harris seems more like Dumbledore, but I wonder how Richard Harris would have dealt with the darker aspects to Dumbledore's character in the later books.

I think Michael Gambon wasn't too bad, but he wasn't very suitable for portraying the friendly cheerful image of dumbledore.

Another main qualm is the costume - his robes should look nicer, not bland and grubby, he shouldn't tie his beard up, and he should have a pointed hat instead of that weird pork pie.

message 26: by Leon (last edited Jun 21, 2013 04:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leon RE Laura wrote: "Jillian wrote: "I hate the actor who plays Dumbledore. Especially in Harry and the GOF! He yells and looks angry all the time. There's no twinkle in his eyes, he looks like a grumpy old man! . He d..."

He passed away unfortunately. He was already reluctant to take on the role as he knew his health was in decline.

This is what it says on wikipedia. Ironically, he didn't seem too fond of the films:

"Concerning his role as Dumbledore, Harris had stated that he did not intend to take the part at first, since he knew that his own health was in decline, but he relented and accepted it because his 11-year-old granddaughter threatened never to speak to him again if he did not take it. In an interview with the Toronto Star in 2001, Harris expressed his concern that his association with the Harry Potter movies would outshine the rest of his career. He explained by saying: "Because, you see, I don't just want to be remembered for being in those bloody films, and I'm afraid that's what's going to happen to me.""

Sarah-Hope I think a lot of it has to do with writing--and the film Dumbledore was written very differently than the book Dumbledore. Particularly in GOF, he says things that are completely out of character with the Dumbledore Rowling created. The winner of the tri-wizard tournament will will "Eternal glory"? Cedric Diggory was "infinitely fair-minded"? That's my least favorite film because I think it's least true to Rowling's original characterizations.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think Maggie was condescending. I agree we should show respect for Harris. While technically he IS the first Dumbly and no-one meant NOT to be respectful, it's still true.

Teresa Anastasia Inkyfingers, Charmcaster wrote: "I don't think Maggie was condescending. I agree we should show respect for Harris. While technically he IS the first Dumbly and no-one meant NOT to be respectful, it's still true."

Agreed. In fact, most people I know wouldn't even know his name, which is a shame. So I appreciate that she took the time to explain very briefly who he was and why he didn't continue as Dumbledore.

message 30: by Leon (last edited Jun 22, 2013 09:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leon RE Laura wrote: "Well that's strange! And he seems really peaceful and calm in the movies... Anyway thanks a lot!"

Oh he probably was, but I guess he just wasn't that interested in Harry Potter cause it wasn't his generation, but it's nice of him that he still took the part. And another reason he didn't want to do it was because he knew he might not make it to the end of the series. And to an extent what he said was true, his role as Albus Dumbledore has slightly overshadowed his other films.

message 31: by Somerandom (last edited Feb 09, 2014 12:15AM) (new)

Somerandom I disliked Sir Micheal Gambon as Dumbledore. I don't deny his talent as an actor but he was too gruff. Didn't mind him in the 6th movie. Richard Harris will always be my perfect Dumbledore.
I've heard that Sir Ian Mckellen didn't want to play the part because Richard Harris hated his acting, so he felt it would be disrespectful to play Dumbledore after his passing. True or not that's at least a classy excuse.

(Oh and Gambon's Dumby costume is horrid, in my opinion.)

Daisy Yeah, to me Dumbledore was the worst actor choice in the films. I never liked either of the actors, but I preferred the first one. He's an awesome character in the books, but in the films, I felt he none of the charm, fun, or slight madness that Ron admires so much in him.

William Allison wrote: "have you seen the 1st movie?? because that dumbledore rocks. but unfortunatly, he died after the 1st movie was made, so they had to find a replacement who looked/sounded like the original. not to m..."

Actually he died after the first 2:-)
But ya I liked him better the other one just want like him but he did a good job In the 6th.